Windows 10: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 How to Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 When you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ptutrup, Oct 18, 2016.

1. ptutrup Win User

Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

How to: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

How to Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

When you hover over the icon or button on the taskbar of an opened item, it will show a thumbnail preview or list of the opened windows or tabs for that item.

The delay time value is the amount of time in milliseconds you have to wait before it shows a thumbnail preview or a list of an opened item (ex: File Explorer) when you hover over the item's icon on the taskbar.

If you have the Animations in the taskbar visual effects setting turned on, then it will cause a slight delay to show taskbar thumbnails since it has them fade to open and close.

A shorter delay time will have taskbar thumbnails show faster when hovering on a taskbar button/icon.

A longer delay time will cause taskbar thumbnails to take longer before showing when hovering on a taskbar button/icon.

This tutorial will show you how to change the delay time to wait before showing taskbar thumbnails for your account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Taskbar thumbnail preview

Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. In the left pane of the Registry Editor, browse to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

3. Do step 4 (change) or step 5 (default) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Change Delay Time to Wait before Showing Taskbar Thumbnails or List
    A) In the right pane of the Advanced key, double click/tap on the ExtendedUIHoverTime DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

*note If you don't have a ExtendedUIHoverTime DWORD, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Advanced key, click/tap on New and DWORD (32-bit) Value, type ExtendedUIHoverTime, and press Enter.

B) Select (dot) Decimal, type in how many milliseconds (1000 milliseconds = 1 second) you want for the delay time, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

*note If you use a very long delay time (ex: 10000 milliseconds) it will effectively disable taskbar thumbnail previews.

5. To Restore Default Delay Time to Wait before Showing Taskbar Thumbnails or List
    A) In the right pane of the Advanced key, right click or press and hold on the ExtendedUIHoverTime DWORD, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Close Registry Editor.

7. sign out and sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ptutrup, Oct 18, 2016
  2. Sambob101 Win User

Taskbar not showing popup icons for multiple windows

I found out how to fix this. There is setting where you can change the maximum number of thumbnails it shows before going into list view. Look at this site if anyone else has the same problem: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

Sambob101, Oct 18, 2016
  3. rnrd Win User
    Windows 10 MS Edge: Only one thumbnail preview shown

Microsoft Edge may have multiple websites open but only shows one thumbnail at a time from the taskbar. In the past you could see thumbnail previews for all open sites. Is there a setting that can change this?

Thank you

Ross

4. Eddo51 Win User

Rather than set delay time value to wait, I want to set "time to show list" while hovering over a taskbar icon. Is there a registry setting that controls this? Thanks.

Eddo51, Feb 23, 2018
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 23, 2018
  6. Eddo51 Win User
    Maybe my comment was ambiguous. I want the list to show longer. When I hover on a taskbar icon, it shows the list for about 4 seconds and then stops showing. I want to show the list of open windows to show as long as I hover over the taskbar icon.

Eddo51, Feb 24, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @Eddo51,

I'm not aware of a setting for that, but it should stay open for as long as you have the pointer on the taskbar icon/button by default.

Brink, Feb 24, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news. *Party

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  9. Tutorial image:

The second pic is my RegEdit - as you can see it does not resemble the tutorial's image.

Help, please?

clemenzina, Apr 17, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @clemenzina, *Smile

Your screenshot shows that you are in the HKLM key instead of HKCU.

Brink, Apr 17, 2018
  11. Oh that's excruciatingly embarrassing, But thank you for noticing, Brink *Smile I'll have another go.

clemenzina, Apr 17, 2018
  12. I have Start10 installed, could that be why I still can't go by the tutorial? (I've looked in Start10 and can't see options to show/delay taskbar popups.)

On an older laptop I did have a small program that did it for me and thought I'd acquired it here, but cannot find it now.

clemenzina, Apr 17, 2018
  13. Ben Myers Win User

If the entry doesn't exist, it must be created. First, make a back up copy of the key in case something goes wrong. Click "File", "Export", type "backup.reg" into the "File name" box and click "Save". Then, right-click a blank spot on the right side, select "New", "DWORD(32 bit) value", type or paste "ExtendedUIHoverTime" as the name of the new value entry and press "Enter". If you type in the name, do not add any spaces and note that the letter after "U" is actually a capital "i". Double-click the entry, change "Value data" to "30000" and click "OK". You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Ben

Ben Myers, Apr 17, 2018
  14. Thank you, Ben. Rebooted and those pesky popups are no more *Smile

clemenzina, Apr 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Delay Show

2. Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar: I'm not sure why, but my taskbar doesn't show the thumbnail previews when there are multiple of the same window open. It shows the thumbnail preview if there's only one, but if there's two it just shows titles, like thisIt used to show them until recently, i think they...
  3. Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar: I'm not sure why, but my taskbar doesn't show the thumbnail previews when there are multiple of the same window open. It shows the thumbnail preview if there's only one, but if there's two it just shows titles, like thisIt used to show them until recently, i think they...
  4. Windows not Showing Thumbnail Previews on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to Change Threshold of Taskbar Thumbnails to Show List in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Change Threshold of Taskbar Thumbnails to Show List in Windows 10?: I checked several ways and they all seem to not work on the current Windows 10. Does anybody know how to change this? submitted by /u/Cade28Skywalker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/momruh/how_to_change_threshold_of_taskbar_thumbnails_to/
  6. Is there a way to remove the delay before taskbar thumbnails disappear?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to remove the delay before taskbar thumbnails disappear?: submitted by /u/themoredeviousduck [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ip2p2i/is_there_a_way_to_remove_the_delay_before_taskbar/
  7. Change Taskbar Thumbnail Live Preview Hover Delay Time in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Taskbar Thumbnail Live Preview Hover Delay Time in Windows 10: How to: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Live Preview Hover Delay Time in Windows 10 How to Change Taskbar Thumbnail Live Preview Hover Delay Time in Windows 10 When you hover over the taskbar icon of an opened item (ex: Google Chrome), it will show you a thumbnail preview of...
  8. Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10: How to: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 How to Change Threshold of Taskbar Thumbnails to Show List in Windows 10 When you hover over the icon or button on the taskbar of opened items, it will show either thumbnail previews or a list of the...
  9. Change Menu Show Delay Time in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Menu Show Delay Time in Windows 10: How to: Change Menu Show Delay Time in Windows 10 How to Change Menu Show Delay Time in Windows 10 The MenuShowDelay property indicates the time, in milliseconds, that the system waits before displaying a cascaded shortcut menu when the mouse cursor is over a submenu...
  10. Change Size of Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Size of Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10: How to: Change Size of Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 How to Change the Size of Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 windows preview taskbar customize delay time

2. changing display time delay hover taskbar windwos 10

3. windwos 10 taskbar delay show windows