Windows 10: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I tried this on a standard account. Surprisingly, or maybe not, you can edit regedit under HKEY_CURRENT_USER as a standard user. Anyway, it doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ptutrup, Oct 18, 2016.

1. ptutrup Win User

Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10

I tried this on a standard account. Surprisingly, or maybe not, you can edit regedit under HKEY_CURRENT_USER as a standard user. Anyway, it doesn't seem to work and stays as 1000 ms efter after logout/login. I edited the registry as admin and added under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE instead. That way all users get it too.

:)

ptutrup, Oct 18, 2016
  2. Sambob101 Win User

Taskbar not showing popup icons for multiple windows

I found out how to fix this. There is setting where you can change the maximum number of thumbnails it shows before going into list view. Look at this site if anyone else has the same problem: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

Sambob101, Oct 18, 2016
  3. rnrd Win User
    Windows 10 MS Edge: Only one thumbnail preview shown

Microsoft Edge may have multiple websites open but only shows one thumbnail at a time from the taskbar. In the past you could see thumbnail previews for all open sites. Is there a setting that can change this?

Thank you

Ross

4. Eddo51 Win User

Rather than set delay time value to wait, I want to set "time to show list" while hovering over a taskbar icon. Is there a registry setting that controls this? Thanks.

Eddo51, Feb 23, 2018
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 23, 2018
  6. Eddo51 Win User
    Maybe my comment was ambiguous. I want the list to show longer. When I hover on a taskbar icon, it shows the list for about 4 seconds and then stops showing. I want to show the list of open windows to show as long as I hover over the taskbar icon.

Eddo51, Feb 24, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @Eddo51,

I'm not aware of a setting for that, but it should stay open for as long as you have the pointer on the taskbar icon/button by default.

Brink, Feb 24, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news. *Party

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  9. Tutorial image:

Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 [​IMG]

The second pic is my RegEdit - as you can see it does not resemble the tutorial's image.

Help, please?

clemenzina, Apr 17, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @clemenzina, *Smile

Your screenshot shows that you are in the HKLM key instead of HKCU.

Brink, Apr 17, 2018
  11. Oh that's excruciatingly embarrassing, But thank you for noticing, Brink *Smile I'll have another go.

clemenzina, Apr 17, 2018
  12. I have Start10 installed, could that be why I still can't go by the tutorial? (I've looked in Start10 and can't see options to show/delay taskbar popups.)

On an older laptop I did have a small program that did it for me and thought I'd acquired it here, but cannot find it now.

clemenzina, Apr 17, 2018
  13. Ben Myers Win User

If the entry doesn't exist, it must be created. First, make a back up copy of the key in case something goes wrong. Click "File", "Export", type "backup.reg" into the "File name" box and click "Save". Then, right-click a blank spot on the right side, select "New", "DWORD(32 bit) value", type or paste "ExtendedUIHoverTime" as the name of the new value entry and press "Enter". If you type in the name, do not add any spaces and note that the letter after "U" is actually a capital "i". Double-click the entry, change "Value data" to "30000" and click "OK". You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Ben

Ben Myers, Apr 17, 2018
  14. Thank you, Ben. Rebooted and those pesky popups are no more *Smile

clemenzina, Apr 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Delay Show

2. Taskbar Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Thumbnails: For some reason, when I hover over a program in the taskbar and there are multiple instances open, rather than 2 thumbnails, I get a list. How can I fix this? I have attached a photo to show the issue. [img] 122929
  3. Thumbnails not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails not showing: For some reason thumbnails will show for regular photos but not clip studio paint files. I have the program and they show fine on my desktop but I just got the Surface Go and they won't show on that. If I go to send a file they'll show but not in the file explorer/my...
  4. Taskbar does not show time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar does not show time: My taskbar has arrows where I need to click to see all of my apps. The date and time do not show either. I cannot find a way to get it back to normal. Please help me....
  5. What causes the delay on changing icons on the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    What causes the delay on changing icons on the taskbar?: Hey, So I've got some pinned icons on my Win 10 taskbar, such as Chrome, Notepad++, file explorer etc. I go to change the Chrome icon and it doesn't change on the taskbar like it did with W7. But sometime later, unsure when, could have been after a restart or after waking...
  6. Taskbar Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Thumbnails: For some reason, hovering over icons on the taskbar bar no long shows the thumbnail/preview of the window and I have no idea of how to get it working again. Any help please? 32563
  7. Always show titles on taskbar thumbnails?

in Windows 10 Support
    Always show titles on taskbar thumbnails?: Hello. When taskbar is set to anything other then "always combine", it hides titles on preview thumbnails. So now in order to understand which thumbnail belong to what window, we have to shift our eyes from thumbnail to taskbar and search for slightly "highlighted" item,...
  8. Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10: Well, thumbnails are just fine when it comes to opened applications, but thumbnails that represent opened FOLDERS are major problem. Folder thumbnails all look about the same, and the information I need - the folder path - is less apparent. I would vote for only the list of...
  9. Change Menu Show Delay Time in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Menu Show Delay Time in Windows 10: Here is the registry file Menu Show Delay Time.reg 14428
  10. Thumbnails showing as icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails showing as icons: Hi - I hope someone can help When I look at my phone image files through my laptop via USB MTP using Windows10 I can see some file thumbnails as images (those from the DCIM Android folders - DCM images and other JPG images transferred to my phone from my camera) but other...