Windows 10: It's 2018 and I can't permanently unpin things from the start menu

Discus and support It's 2018 and I can't permanently unpin things from the start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been trying to unpin things from the start menu on win10 but each time I restart my computer, it comes back again. not only that, but things I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by leggy_a, Dec 13, 2018.

1. leggy_a Win User

It's 2018 and I can't permanently unpin things from the start menu

I've been trying to unpin things from the start menu on win10 but each time I restart my computer, it comes back again. not only that, but things I've pinned to the menu aren't even appearing. IT's frustrating. I really am not enjoying this interface. It sad that my new computer came preinstalled with it. I've never had so many issues with Windows before. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

leggy_a, Dec 13, 2018

2. Cannoy unpin Journal fron Start Menu

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community, I understand your concern.

There are several reasons for the app to be unable to unpin from Start Menu. I would suggest that you perform the method mentioned below and check if the issue persist.

Method:

• On the search bar type, Powershell.
    • Right click on it and Run as Administrator
    • Type/paste the following command:
    PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
    $manifest}

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 13, 2018
  3. Bree Win User
    Can't unpin excel jump list file from the start menu

The same jumplist shows wherever you right-click on Excel (or any other app that has a jumplist) be that on a tile in Start, pinned to the taskbar or in Start's 'all apps' list.

Right-click on any file name in the jumplist (like your ABC.xls) and you should see options to 'Pin to this list' and 'Remove from this list'. If the file is pinned to the list, you have to unpin it first before you can remove it from the list.

It's 2018 and I can't permanently unpin things from the start menu [​IMG]

*Arrow Pin or Unpin Items on Jump Lists in Windows 10

If that isn't working for you, then it sounds like you'll need to reset the recent items that jumplists show. This will reset ALL jumplists, not just the Excel one, so only reset it if nothing else works.

*Arrow Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

4. ArtP Win User

'Pin to Start' and 'Unpin from Start" items in Windows 10

Thanks Cliff. The first suggestion didn't work because the shortcut icon is not listed. The second easier suggestion didn't work because right-clicking does not include "Open File Location" as an option, only "Unpin from Start" and "Resize". Screenshots are included. "xmltobgl" is the culprit icon.

Thema:

1. It's 2018 and I can't permanently unpin things from the start menu - Similar Threads - 2018 can't permanently

2. Unpin tiles from Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unpin tiles from Start menu: Hi, I have a question How can I unpin all tiles from the Start Menu using a batch script or registry editor in Windows 10 20H2 175931
  3. unpin start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    unpin start menu: i tried to reinstall my browser (firefox) so i uninstalled it but i can't unpin the shortcut i have in my start menu what's the solution? https://i.postimg.cc/5jc0DFvM/2.png forgot to add that when i click on it, nothing happens submitted by /u/djindjer [link]...
  4. Can't unpin from start menu

Can't unpin from start menu: A few months ago, I could unpin from start, but now when I unpin something, it comes back every time I shut down my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-unpin-from-start-menu/84d8eb39-c74d-45d0-b093-e167399f8d17
  5. Can't unpin a tile from Start

Can't unpin a tile from Start: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro and can't unpin a tile from Start.. someone please??! 55130
  6. How to unpin Cortana from Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to unpin Cortana from Start Menu?: i've searched everywhere, and even uninstalled Cortana from Windows Features.. it's no longer running.. but i can't figure out how to unpin it from the Start Menu. Anyone know how to unpin Cortana? Thanks FYI: if anyone is interested in removing hidden Windows...
  7. Can't unpin app from Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't unpin app from Start: Hello, I can't unpin an app from the Start menu Here's a gif of what (doesn't) happen [img] 12581
  8. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  9. Unable to Unpin Tiles from the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Unpin Tiles from the Start Menu: Hello all, I love Windows 10. I really do. However, there's one slight nuisance that is really starting to get on my nerves. Every time I right-click a tile, select something such as "Unpin from Start," absolutely nothing happens. The tile remains, I can reshape it, move...
  10. Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unpinning apps from the Start Menu ?: So, am I just stupid or when I right click an app and choose "Unpin from Start" the app is still in the Start Menu and works no problem, am I just missing something or there is no way to get rid of pinned apps ? Also I read somewhere that when you right click a blank space...