Windows 10: It's Wednesday morning, where's my update?

Discus and support It's Wednesday morning, where's my update? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Shouldn't I see the newest "Patch Tuesday" update? I received my usual Defender updates, an Adobe Flash one, and the Malicious Software Removal tool,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Pirx, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Pirx Win User

It's Wednesday morning, where's my update?

Shouldn't I see the newest "Patch Tuesday" update? I received my usual Defender updates, an Adobe Flash one, and the Malicious Software Removal tool, but that's it. When checking manually, the system says it's up to date.

:)

2. I updated my desktop this morning, Sep 14, 2016 and now my screen is blacked out and system is unresponsive

I did the Windows 10 update this morning (like I do every Wednesday morning) and now my system is down. The computer is on but the screen is solid black and unresponsive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is anyone else experiencing problems after updating from last night?

KevinRay1130, Nov 14, 2017
  3. Mysthran Win User
    Recurring Alarm does not always go off

I have a Lumia 635 that says the software is up to date.

I have a separate alarm set for Wednesday mornings as i get up earlier this day. Twice in the last 2 months it has not gone off.

I have several other recurring alarms, one for the other mornings and 5 daily reminders, I've neer had any of the other alarms miss a day or time, just the Wednesday morning one.

Any thoughts on why this would happen?

Mysthran, Nov 14, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Nov 14, 2017
  5. Pirx Win User
    I know. The question is, why does it not appear in Updates on my system?

6. Bree New Member
    I saw the same problem on my test machine when I first upgraded it to 1709 (x86). It was stuck on 16299.15 and saw all other updates except the cumulative update for 16299.19.

For me, the fix was to go into...
    View Configured Update Policies in Windows 10

The 'setting with the known bug' is the tick-box for 'Enabling this policy will automatically download updates, even over metered connections...'. Do not ever tick that, or you're liable to get a 'some settings are managed by your organization' message appearing (in Pro, at least) that can only be removed by a registry fix. See the rest of the above thread for more on that.

7. cereberus Win User
    Just takes a while to rollout to everybody.

cereberus, Nov 14, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

There may be more to it than that. My test machine still couldn't see the October cumulative update a week after it was released. All other updates, yes - it just had a blind-spot for KB4043961. As soon as I 'kicked the tyres' on the update settings it saw and downloaded it.

9. Pirx Win User
    O.k., thanks guys. I'll give it a week and see if it still doesn't download anything. At that point I'll try fiddling with Advanced Settings (Bree's suggestion) and see if that does it. Funny thing is, it does download other updates, just not the cumulative one.

Speaking of the advanced settings: I had forgotten about that, so I went there, and it is set
    • Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) for Feature updates
    • delay quality and feature updates for 7 days
    • delay security updates for 0 days

This is an Enterprise SKU. Perhaps that last set of patches counts as a "quality and features update"?
    It's kind of hard to tell, since the release notes mention both quality/feature and security fixes. As usual, Microsoft has made a mess out of this...

10. Bree New Member
    Yes, that's exactly what I saw (Win10 Pro x86, 1709, 16299.15).

11. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Nov 14, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Yes, I tried a standalone package on my test machine. It installed fine. I then reverted to an earlier system image to see if the bug would fix itself (it didn't).
    View Configured Update Policies in Windows 10 - Page 2 - Windows Update Activation Tutorials

13. It's Wednesday morning, where's my update?

The OP is not alone. My Desktop 1709 16299.19 (PRO) on Wednesday received The malware tool + KB4048951, but did not receive KB404955. My other system (Laptop 1709 16299.19 (Home)) has been powered off since Monday. Today I started it and it immediately received all of Tues updates including KB4048955. It now sits @ OS Build 16299.64 unlike my Desktop @ 16299.19. Strange indeed ?

storageman, Nov 15, 2017
  14. Pirx Win User
    Update: It seems in my case it was indeed the "delay quality and feature updates for 7 days" setting that was the culprit. Setting that to zero immediately started the download.

15. Well decided to try the Manual update route, and this is what I get:

I guess, it really doesn't apply to my system ????

storageman, Nov 15, 2017
Thema:

1. It's Wednesday morning, where's my update? - Similar Threads - Wednesday morning where's

2. Question: What happened to PCs under $500 on the Microsoft Store this Wednesday morning?...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Question: What happened to PCs under $500 on the Microsoft Store this Wednesday morning?...: I plan to install Windows 10 20H2 today. I sure hope there will be several PCs under $500 I can buy from the online Microsoft Store come 2022 when this new version of Windows 10 I should be able to install on my full HD Dell Inspiron 7558 goes out of support! It'll probably...
  3. Morning update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Morning update: My computer updated this morning and now I'm having trouble with everything related to facebook. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/morning-update/6e874666-0380-49d8-ac7b-e1cdfedef699
  4. Windows Update Deleted ALL OF MY FILES this morning.....!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Deleted ALL OF MY FILES this morning.....!: OMG Microsoft, what have you done.....?!! You updated my computer while I was asleep, without warning, and deleted EVERYTHING on my computer. Unbelievable.....! You have a way to recover these files right? I know you knew it was going to happen. You had no right to do...
  5. Where's my October update?

Where's my October update?: I heard about 2 new things that I went searching for today, Snip & Sketch, It's not found when searching from Windows search, and it the font size changer is this: [ATTACH] And not this: [ATTACH]...
  6. update this morning Microsoft 10

update this morning Microsoft 10: I just did a update this morning Microsoft 10. Now the the taskbar is frozen will not work and Microsoft Edge will not load. My question is how can I do a restore when I cant get to that menu...
  7. Where's my update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Where's my update?: Still haven't received my Threshold 2 update. Anyone know how long I might have to wait? (I'm not one of those whose update is delayed because I installed W10 within the last 31 days.) 30062
  8. Windows updated this morning and I'm not happy

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows updated this morning and I'm not happy: So, I turned on my machine this morning to get the colorful wait screens with the anticipation building messages. Once up and running, I find changes have been made to my start screen that I'm not particularly fond of. My Icons have enlarged and due to there resolution, have...
  9. Update this morning shut down my monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Update this morning shut down my monitors: My setup is a Dell XPS 8700 with Geforce 640 card, and I currently run 5 monitors(via USB) with that setup, and have for a while now. When I ran today's Windows update, it disabled two of my monitors. They're still powered on, but black screen and the computer isn't...
  10. What no update! Wednesday 2 a.m. UK time

in Windows 10 Support
    What no update! Wednesday 2 a.m. UK time: I remember from some 50 years ago going on a course it was called: managing customer expectations Primarily it was about giving your customer base what you had promised and therefore expected. Microsoft in general and Abe in particular should go on such a course. When...