Windows 10: Library folders missing and renamed

Discus and support Library folders missing and renamed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently received a new PC. I had an HP that I've been nursing for 8 years. When I moved the hp to an ssd I moved the Library locations off of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cyberwasp, Jul 1, 2017.

1. cyberwasp Win User

Library folders missing and renamed

Recently received a new PC. I had an HP that I've been nursing for 8 years.

When I moved the hp to an ssd I moved the Library locations off of the ssd to an internal Hdd Have done this on numerous PC's

One my new PC I did the same thing by creating a directory on D : for each library. Then right clicked the library, chose Location and move, telling it to move it to the d drive.
    For some reason, now under, "This PC," the music icon and video icon are both label, "Music," and lead to the music directory. It's like they are copies of each other.
    Can anyone help straighten it out. TIA

Library folders missing and renamed [​IMG]

:)

cyberwasp, Jul 1, 2017

2. Nokia 5200 problem with music library

Please rename your folder and update the library.

embedded_system, Jul 1, 2017
  3. Jeraldine Ase, Jul 1, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello cyberwasp, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The "Folders" in "This PC" are not libraries. Instead, they are links to your personal folders in your "C:\Users\<username>" user profile folder.

You might see if using steps 8 and 12 in Option Two of the tutorial below to restore the default location of your Music and Videos folder may help get you back to square 1.

*Arrow Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Jul 1, 2017
  5. cyberwasp Win User
    Thank you Brink. I tried the bat file but that only restores the folder location to "C:\Users\<username>" user profile folder. That part works fine.

The trouble is that the Music and Video link under, "This PC" have the appropriate Icon but have the same name and go to the same folder. If I change the name on the music icon, the next time I boot the video icon will also say music and go to the same place.

cyberwasp, Jul 1, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Just to verify, did you use both .bat files? One for each folder.

Brink, Jul 1, 2017
  7. cyberwasp Win User
    Yes I did. I also tried rebooting after. All it did was to move the actual files back to C drive.

cyberwasp, Jul 1, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 1, 2017
  9. cyberwasp Win User
    64 bit windows 10 pro
    The left videos, right music

If I change one the other changes by its self.

cyberwasp, Jul 1, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd that it would still show the folder on the "D" drive after using the .bat files from the tutorial above to restore them to "C".

Does it do the same if you use the "Restore Default" button on these two folders?

As a test, download and merge the .reg file below to see if it may help after restarting the computer. It will restore their default registry entries for the "FolderDescriptions" key.

*Arrow 64-bit_Restore_default_Music_and_Videos_registry_entries.reg

Brink, Jul 1, 2017
  11. cyberwasp Win User
    Brink, I think we got it. I didn't want to chance messing with the registry so I went back after a reboot a re ran the script for 8 but not 12 and it did the trick. I even rebooted again just to make sure. Thank you very much. I hated the thought of reloading windows on a new machine.

cyberwasp, Jul 1, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad it was able to help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Library folders missing and renamed - Similar Threads - Library folders missing

2. Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a Folder: HelloI transferred a folder to Google Drive as a back up. It seems automatically the original folder was named as MobilMover.exe., and my original folder was made sub-folder! I am not sure what the folder name MobilMover.exe is doing? I tried to rename it but will not allow...
  3. Renaming a Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming a Folder: HelloI transferred a folder to Google Drive as a back up. It seems automatically the original folder was named as MobilMover.exe., and my original folder was made sub-folder! I am not sure what the folder name MobilMover.exe is doing? I tried to rename it but will not allow...
  4. Can't rename certain libraries

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't rename certain libraries: i'm trying to rename to Videos library to Television, but each time i write the new name it doesnt stick and goes back to Videos, this happens quite randomly as sometimes i'm able to do this and others i dont, can anyone help...
  5. Can't rename certain libraries

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't rename certain libraries: i'm trying to rename to Videos library to Television, but each time i write the new name it doesnt stick and goes back to Videos, this happens quite randomly as sometimes i'm able to do this and others i dont, can anyone help...
  6. Duplicate libraries-library folders

Duplicate libraries-library folders: I did something in Windows 10 v1909 that duplicated several library folders and their contents see below picture. I don't have duplicate folders under "Quick Access". How do I correct? Disregard the THIRD Documents folder. The only correction I could find is here and it...
  7. renaming folders

renaming folders: I cannot rename folders with the usual right click method. When I right click and try to rename, I get 2 messages: 1) "Can't find the specified file." Then when I x out of that message, I get: 2) "The file or folder does not exist." I can rename the folder by going to the...
  8. Libraries folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Libraries folder: Hello, in my Windows 10 pro, I have on the left pane a folder called Libraries. I would like to change the name and possibly change the ugly icon. I know I can hide it. But that wont help because I can not create a custom made folder in the left pane. Is there a way through...
  9. Libraries Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Libraries Folders: I've never paid any attention to the Libraries. Just left them alone to their own thing. This afternoon I decided to open the folder and have a look-see. Am I supposed to have a Documents Folder Nested in another Documents Folder? [IMG] I actually have only one Documents...
  10. Personal Folders & Libraries Missing in Homegroup

Personal Folders & Libraries Missing in Homegroup: I can never catch a break with this feature of Windows, seriously... Example of the "Personal" folders/libraries I am talking about (NOT from my computer): [img] My computer (only "Shared" folders/libraries show up): [img] Does anyone know how to fix this?...