Windows 10: local account unable to switch to MS account

Discus and support local account unable to switch to MS account in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by maranna, Dec 20, 2018.

1. maranna Win User

local account unable to switch to MS account

I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809?
    I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to the MS account. I was lucky enough to have a Macrium image.
    I thought ids I signed out of hers, I could reboot and chose to sign in as MS.

:)

maranna, Dec 20, 2018

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Kari Win User
    Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

local account unable to switch to MS account [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

4. local account unable to switch to MS account

Switch laptop sign in from MS account to Local Account questions

Hi, Ive just switched from signing in to my laptop with a Microsoft Account to signing in with a Local Account instead. My laptop was always listed as a Device on the opening screen along with a map showing its location when I looked in my Microsoft Account. Under Devices I could also view my laptop along with other bits of various information about the device and its location was always shown on a map there too. After signing into my laptop with my Local Account ..If I sign in separately to my Microsoft Account afterwards Ive just noticed that having switched to a Local Account my laptop isnt shown on the opening Microsoft Account screen anymore and its not listed in devices either. Is this normal behaviour? I was expecting to still find my laptop listed in Devices. Also...Under Update and Security/Activation..it used to say Digital Licence linked to a Microsoft Account. Now it just says Windows is Activated with a digital licence. Is all this normal behaviour if you sign into a laptop with a Local Account instead of a Microsoft Account?

sportsfan148, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

local account unable to switch to MS account

1. local account unable to switch to MS account - Similar Threads - local account unable

2. Windows 11 MS Account Switch to Local Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 MS Account Switch to Local Account: Hey, I've created a Windows 11 MS Account on my Machine, however I want to switch back to my local account -- I thought I would be able to switch between the accounts similar to previous Windows versions where you pick which account you want to use. I have tried switching...
  3. Windows 11 MS Account Switch to Local Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 MS Account Switch to Local Account: Hey, I've created a Windows 11 MS Account on my Machine, however I want to switch back to my local account -- I thought I would be able to switch between the accounts similar to previous Windows versions where you pick which account you want to use. I have tried switching...
  4. unable to switch to a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to switch to a local account: Hey ,Recently I have update to windows 10 professional and logged in as administrator with a Microsoft account which is connected to my Edu mail . Now i want to switch my Microsoft account without losing any of my data saved as that particular user . For the same purpose i...
  5. unable to switch to a local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to switch to a local account: Hey ,Recently I have update to windows 10 professional and logged in as administrator with a Microsoft account which is connected to my Edu mail . Now i want to switch my Microsoft account without losing any of my data saved as that particular user . For the same purpose i...
  6. unable to switch to a local account

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Trying to switch from MS account to local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Trying to switch from MS account to local account: On my Win10 (20H2) laptop, I went to Settings, Account, Your Info. My info shows my Gmail email account name and below that it says, "Switch to a local account" (this is what I want to do) So far so good. When I click to switch to local account, my Gmail account login shows...
  8. Switching From MS Account To Local Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switching From MS Account To Local Account: In Settings, I'm trying to switch from a MS Account to a Local Account. I'm asked for my name. When I give it I'm told that name is already in use. Of course it is; that's the account I want to use. Can I get past this somehow, and if I do. does that delete my MS Account?...
  9. Switch which MS account that a local account is associated with

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Switch which MS account that a local account is associated with: My computer which I upgraded from Windows 7 and have upgraded piecemeal since has always used a local account. this account has all my software and registry settings for the hundreds of apps that I have for my work and hobbies. My daughter went to the MS store to download...
  10. local account unable to switch to MS account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...