Windows 10: Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update)

Discus and support Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi folks, Background A year or more ago I followed [this guide](How to Change the Login Screen Background on Windows 10) to set the Sign-in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jaredt, Aug 9, 2016.

1. jaredt Win User

Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update)

Hi folks,

Background

• A year or more ago I followed [this guide](How to Change the Login Screen Background on Windows 10) to set the Sign-in screen to a single colour rather than having to use Microsoft's default background image.
    • So I set my own custom background image for the Lock screen (with no problem), and then once I hit a key to bring up the Sign-in screen it would should a solid background colour (happy days!).
    Issue

• I just upgraded to the Anniversary Update with no problems. My setup of Lock screen = custom image and Sign-in screen = solid colour was still working.
    • I read that Microsoft had changed it so that when you hit a key to bring up the Sign-in screen it would just keep your Lock screen image behind and show the password box on top. This sounded good to me so I ran the 'undo' script provided in the link above (the 'enable' script).
    • Now, when I lock my computer I see no image at all (a completely black background, but it's not broken because the date and time show up), and only when I hit a key to bring up the Sign-in screen do I see the custom Lock screen background image I selected. *Sad
    • The kicker is: if I go into the Lock screen settings and turn "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" OFF, then it reverts to my old custom setup: showing my selected Lock screen background image on the lock screen, but then showing a solid colour when I bring up the Sign-in screen :/
    I'm wondering if the registry setting changed at all for the Anniversary Update? I note that in the article and in the registry script they refer to it as "login/logon" whereas the setting in the Anniversary Update references "sign-in". Don't know if there's a clue there or it's just a red herring?

Can anyone help me get back to the default Anniversary Update behaviour (Lock screen background image shows on lock screen and sign-in screen)? *Smile

UPDATE: Interestingly, when I do a restart, the default Anniversary Update behaviour works. Ie. it shows the background image on the first screen and also on the sign-in screen (is there a subtle difference between the first screen you see after powering up vs any subsequent lock screen?).

:)

jaredt, Aug 9, 2016
  2. Mark_102116, Aug 9, 2016
  3. Lock Screen

Disable logon screen background image in Windows 10 Anniversary Update

• Open Settings.
    • Go to Personalization - Lock Screen.
    • Scroll down the page you opened until you see the option Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen. Turn it off as shown below:

Disable logon screen background image in Windows 10 Anniversary Update

William Martz, Aug 9, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Aug 9, 2016
  5. jaredt Win User
    Hi philc43,

It seems that tutorial only deals with the default lock screen which I don't think I have the problem with. I followed the tutorial anyway just to check and it didn't fix it.

Do you know how I can find the registry values for the user lock screen for the Anniversary Update?

jaredt, Aug 10, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 10, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    I've got the same (bug) the OP's got.
    This is for manual Lock only, has nuthin to do with a Restart or cold boot.

If I have this setting On:
    Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update) [​IMG]

then this is my Lock/Splash screen and sign-in screen:
    (by default you would see a solid black screen with date, I've manipulated the Splash screen with an image!)

if I have this setting Off:

then this is my Lock Screen and sign-in screen:

Edwin, Aug 10, 2016
  8. Anleck Win User

Hey Guys found a solution on another forum.

Most unintuitive indeed.
    This worked for me and I hope will work for others experiencing this annoyance.

Anleck, Aug 10, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 10, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    Confirmed as well.
    With both settings on the Splash screen shows for a fraction of a second then the Lock Screen will show image as well as the sign-in screen.
    Nice catch guys! *Smile

Edwin, Aug 10, 2016
  11. jaredt Win User
    Hi Brink, thanks for the welcome! *Smile

Just to confirm as well, Anlek's solution solved it for me.

Very weird setting though. Shame you can't have animation disabled AND have the same background image for the lock screen and sign-in screen...

jaredt, Aug 10, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 10, 2016
  13. jaredt Win User

OK, I've created an issue in the Feedback Hub.

feedback-hub:?contextid=66&feedbackid=d8ed91bb-b484-48a5-bb1e-672a71050235&form=1&src=2

The title is: "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" does not work if you have disabled "Animate windows when minimizing and maximising"

NB. It wasn't clear if it had created the first time I posted so I posted again and now there are two :/ if anyone wants to upvote, can you upvote the one that does NOT say "duplicate" in the comments? Cheers!

jaredt, Aug 10, 2016
  14. tnesham Win User
    I had the same issue but the "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" checkbox was already checked. So I unchecked it, tried again, then checked it again and the lock screen image is now restored. thanks!

tnesham, Aug 19, 2016
  15. I have just figured out how to fix this bug in a very weird way.

If you go to your lock screen settings and turn "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" off and lock your PC, you will see the background picture back. Log back in and turn it on and the issue happens once again. As expected... but if you follow the process above most of you will notice you already have this check box checked already. If you uncheck it and apply, lock your pc and log back in and recheck this setting and apply the issue will now be fixed!

TonyHondaFreak, Aug 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update) - Similar Threads - Lock screen background

2. Can't change lock screen background image

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't change lock screen background image: it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-lock-screen-background-image/36ae0fd3-7441-4621-b82d-351bfd133204
  3. Can't change lock screen background image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change lock screen background image: it doesn't work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-lock-screen-background-image/36ae0fd3-7441-4621-b82d-351bfd133204
  4. Can't change lock screen background image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change lock screen background image.: I am currently unable to change my lock screen wallpaper. This issue has persisted for over a year now, and windows updates have not been able to fix it. I have been trying to fix this for quite a while now and I can't seem to get it fixed. As of now, I have already...
  5. Can't change lock screen background image.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change lock screen background image.: I am currently unable to change my lock screen wallpaper. This issue has persisted for over a year now, and windows updates have not been able to fix it. I have been trying to fix this for quite a while now and I can't seem to get it fixed. As of now, I have already...
  6. Images that appear on lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Images that appear on lock screen: I think it would be very educational if people could be told the locations of the great images that appear, I see all these beautiful places and would like to know where they are.Perhaps there could be an icon to click on to identify the image....
  7. Windows lock screen background images

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows lock screen background images: Hi I use the random picture for my windows lock screen background similar to the one shown below [img] Well the other day I had one of a couple of otters in Homer Alaska and my wife fell in love with it. I was going to save it for her but with the holidays and all it...
  8. Windows lock screen background images

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows lock screen background images: Hi I use the random picture for my windows lock screen background similar to the one shown below [img] Well the other day I had one of a couple of otters in Homer Alaska and my wife fell in love with it. I was going to save it for her but with the holidays and all it...
  9. Disable anniversary update lock screen

Disable anniversary update lock screen: I have found two methods to do this, neither of which work Disable the Windows 10 Lock Screen (Anniversary Update) - gHacks Tech News Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 are the ones I've tried, but the lock screen is still there. I'm on...
  10. Background info on lock screen images?

Background info on lock screen images?: I typically like the lock screens that Windows 10 shows very much. Already several times I was wondering how to get more background info on the picture shown, specifically: where was that picture taken? Or like today: what village does it show? It's beautiful and I'ld...