Windows 10: Make a folder a top level library in explorer

Discus and support Make a folder a top level library in explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was able to do this in Win 7 however not having it anymore I can't figure out how I did it. In explorer the library icons on the left pane have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Orerockon, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Orerockon Win User

Make a folder a top level library in explorer

I was able to do this in Win 7 however not having it anymore I can't figure out how I did it. In explorer the library icons on the left pane have the actual folder as a submenu item, that is if you expand a library you have to expand the actual folder to see the subfolders. I want the library icon to be the actual folder, and not have to expand it twice.

:)

Orerockon, Oct 26, 2015
  2. Rick Fine Win User

Documents Folder and Libraries Folder

How do I get the Documents folder (the one that shows up under the top level Desktop folder, under my User Account top level folder, and under the ‘This PC’ folder) to show up in the ‘Libraries’ folder?

Rick Fine, Oct 26, 2015
  3. kwdavids Win User
    Camera App crashes on Surface 3 Pro after Windows 10 upgrade

How to remove a folder from a library:

First make sure the libraries are shown:

• Start Windows File Explorer
    • Look at the navigation pane (left side) a top-level entry labeled "Libraries."
    If libraries are NOT shown, show them by:

• From File Explorer select the menu option File | Folder and Search Options
    • Select the View tab from the dialog that appeared
    • Check the option: Navigation Pane | Show libraries
    • Click OK
    To remove a folder from a library:

• In File Explorer, scroll down in the Navigation pane (left side) until you see "Libraries." Expand that entry if not already expanded by clicking on the arrow to the left of Libraries, to show all the libraries.
    • Expand the library of interest by clicking on the arrow on its left (e.g. "Pictures"). Below will be listed all of the folders in the library.
    • Right-click on the folder to be removed in the navigation pane and select "Remove location from Library" from the pop-up menu for any folder you don't want in the library.
    This procedure does not delete anything, but it does remove the folder from the library. There should be a Pictures library with one or more real folders under it. You can right-click on those folders and select Properties to see where they are. You should
    see inside of the Pictures folder a folder named "Camera Roll" where the camera saves pictures. Check the folder properties (under Security) to make sure that your sign-on account has the proper access (Full Control) to the folder.

kwdavids, Oct 26, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Orerockon, *Smile

A library is not a folder, but a collection of included folders, so technically it's not possible to have a folder as a library.

However, you could do either option below to essentially have it work that way though.

1) Only have that one folder included in a library, and set that folder as the default save location.

2) Create a new library, only include that folder, and set that folder as the default save location.

Brink, Oct 26, 2015
  5. Orerockon Win User
    Not sure what you mean by that, I have libraries, they have only one included folder, and all the set save location choices are greyed out in all the libraries. Even if it did allow me to set it, I don't see how that would make the folder itself a library, and not a folder included under the library icon.

Orerockon, Oct 28, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The set save locations are grayed out since you only have the one folder included, and there are no other included folders to select as a save location.

For more of what you wanted, you could right click on the opened library, and click on Arrange by -> Name to see all content in the included folder at once.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Make a folder a top level library in explorer - Similar Threads - folder top level

2. folder redirections makes folders freeze explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    folder redirections makes folders freeze explorer: Hello,I have 2 windows server 2019 running, one is a DC, the other act as file server.I created a GPO on the DC: User Configuration/Policies/Windows Settings/Folder Redirection, and redirected most of the folders using the root path: \\mydomain.local\pub\homeSo for many of...
  3. How do I add a new folder at the top level, NOT a normal folder..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I add a new folder at the top level, NOT a normal folder..: I want to insert a new folder as a top-level folder like My Picture, My documents, Etc. I want My own My *** Folder the same as the My Pictures folder is implemented. NOT a normal folder.. Never answered MS Question, thread is locked?. RE:...
  4. How do I add a new folder at the top level, NOT a normal folder..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add a new folder at the top level, NOT a normal folder..: I want to insert a new folder as a top-level folder like My Picture, My documents, Etc. I want My own My *** Folder the same as the My Pictures folder is implemented. NOT a normal folder.. Never answered MS Question, thread is locked?. RE:...
  5. How do I add a new folder at the top level, NOT a normal folder..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows Explorer shows three users and three sets of top level folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer shows three users and three sets of top level folders: Desktop: Windows 10 Prof version 2004 (OS build 19041.572) Laptop: Windows 10 Prof version 1903 (OS build 18362.1139 (LG Gram 2018 i7 with a 1 T flash drive and 16 GB ram both of which I installed). I have three users on my desktop: they all have my name and they are all...
  7. Explorer: Making libraries go away

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer: Making libraries go away: In File Explorer, I have unchecked "Show Libraries" and have added a subfolder of a subfolder of Documents to my Quick Access list. When I open the folder from QA, it expands to appear under Libraries > Documents > Documents > and so on, rather than in the main list headed by...
  8. Top level window is idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Top level window is idle: Hi guys, I work in support for this application but this new report I have seems to be more of a windows issue than it is an issue with our application... We have a process that takes a long time to run, say up to 30 minutes, now, we have thousands of customers using this...
  9. Where did the name for the top level folder in Windows 10 file Explorer come from?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where did the name for the top level folder in Windows 10 file Explorer come from?: I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Home installed. When I opened the File Explorer, I saw my full name used for the top-level folder under Desktop. I don't want that but I soon found that I couldn't rename it to something else. Then I scrolled down to Users in OS (C:)...
  10. How To Make A Custom Directory A Top-level Left Pane Folder In Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    How To Make A Custom Directory A Top-level Left Pane Folder In Windows: Hi all, I am trying to figure out how to create a custom top-level folder in the Windows file explorer, specifically my synced Google Drive folder. How can I do this? I'm familiar with working inside of regedit if necessary, but if there is a simpler solution it's preferred....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. top level folders in windows explorer