Windows 10: Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro.

Discus and support Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all! I have a personal laptop (Thinkpad X1 Carbon) that I used to remote into my work computer while at home. I work from home one day a week, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/the-CHEM1ST, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro.

Hi all!

I have a personal laptop (Thinkpad X1 Carbon) that I used to remote into my work computer while at home. I work from home one day a week, and sometimes on weekends, etc. Ironically I actually work on computers for a living, except that I do data analytics and do not know a ton about computer security/privacy. I have been trying to learn a lot, and have come to an issue:

Can I have a local account on my laptop, while also logging into a Microsoft Account on a separate profile without risking anything on my local account being exposed to the fact that Microsoft Accounts store so much on the cloud? I have never worked from home before, and want to make sure whatever I am doing is the safest/most secure thing for MY data and making sure that my employer cannot access anything I don't want them to.

Thanks for any help!

submitted by /u/the-CHEM1ST
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/the-CHEM1ST, Dec 3, 2019
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro. :(

Zakin, Dec 3, 2019
  3. Mindweaver, Dec 3, 2019
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro.

register PC with microsoft; use local account to log in

Just simply log in with your Microsoft Account.
    Switch to Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Just go back to using a local account:
    Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

Hopefully the tutorials are step by step enough.

NavyLCDR, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro.

1. Microsoft Account vs. Local Account on Windows 10 Pro. - Similar Threads - Microsoft Account Local

2. Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    Linking local account to Microsoft account on Win Pro: Hi, just installed new PC and have following issue: - I do not see option on account tab to link my local account to Microsoft account ("sing in with Microsoft Account instead") - As note - I can add Microsoft accounts of family members including me. - I also do not see...
  3. Windows 10 Pro Local Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Pro Local Account: I have read that you can't make a local account anymore is this true? Will I not be able to make a local account if I purchase Windows 10 Pro in stores that come with the USB Stick? submitted by /u/JMatzelle993 [link] [comments]...
  4. Microsoft account or local account ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account or local account ?: Because i am keep getting microsoft account problem every day, i am planning to start login with local account instead microsoft account. Before i change to local account i would like to ask some question here. 1. What windows feature will be lost if i am not using mc...
  5. Microsoft account or local account ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft account or local account ?: Because i am keep getting microsoft account problem every day, i am planning to start login with local account instead microsoft account. Before i change to local account i would like to ask some question here. 1. What windows feature will be lost if i am not using mc...
  6. Local vs Network user accounts

Local vs Network user accounts: I bought a Windows 10 Surface laptop recently from the Microsoft store. The clerk at the store helped me set it up and insisted that I create a network login account which would require that I use my email account to login. The reason she gave was that if my computer ever...
  7. Question on local vs microsoft account

Question on local vs microsoft account: Just setting up a laptop for my daughter. 1. Can you still log in to a laptop as a user set with a microsoft account even if there is no internet access? She is likely to need access in places where there is not always internet access. 2. I have the administrator...
  8. Microsoft Account vs. Local Account

Microsoft Account vs. Local Account: Primary user here on this computer...if I set up PC as a Local Account do I need a password? I use Outlook as my mail server. Will I have to enter my Microsoft Account password to use Outlook if I initially set up PC as a local account. Basically I want to boot up not...
  9. Local Admin Account vs standard Account

Local Admin Account vs standard Account: i have to ask this i am on Windows 10 Home build 16299.19 as i am currently terminating an old account and going to my most current account but i am concerned that the one i use to login into my current PC might be lost and i do wonder if the admin account i use for this HP...
  10. local account/Microsoft account

local account/Microsoft account: I have been using Windows 10 for about a week. I set up two accounts - one administrator, the other regular user. When attempting to update Windows 10, I got a message saying because I did not login a Microsoft account, some updates couldn't be downloaded. So, I had to create...