Windows 10: My C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10

Discus and support My C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Suddenly my C: drive does not appear in Windows Explorer. My SSD (E: ) and my DVD (D: ) do appear. The computer works fine in all other respects.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mick Berg, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Mick Berg Win User

My C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10

Suddenly my C: drive does not appear in Windows Explorer. My SSD (E: ) and my DVD (D: ) do appear.
    The computer works fine in all other respects.
    Windows 10, Fall Creators Update.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

:)

Mick Berg, Mar 6, 2018

2. DVD Drive Assignment in File Explorer

If I open File Explorer with no media in my DVD Drive, under This Computer I see entries for my OSMy C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10 :(C), CD DriveMy C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10 :(F), and External USBMy C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10 :(G).

When I insert media to the DVD Drive, a new line appears. Immediately under OSMy C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10 :(C) the next line is now DVD RW DriveMy C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10 :(D). The line after that is still CD DriveMy C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10 :(F). I don't have 2 Optical Drives on the PC. only the DVD RW. So why does Windows show both
    D: and F: when there is media in the optical drive and only F: when there is no media? Does Windows 10 think that F: is a second optical drive that doesn't exist? How do I fix it to show only D: in File Explorer, and how do I figure out
    what Windows 10 thinks the F: drive is?

#AZBeagle#, Mar 6, 2018
  3. La Cie external hard drive

La Cie portable hard drive/storage device is recognised by my windows 10 computer ( it appears in Control Panel's "Devices and printers" but does not appear in Disks and Drives revealed by file explorer); it does not open. What can be done?

JohnFarrell1941, Mar 6, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Bree, Mar 6, 2018
  5. Mick Berg Win User
    OK Here it is.

My C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10 [​IMG]

Thanks.
    Looks OK to Me!

Just noticed I can see contents of C drive at "This PC > HDD (C: )"

Mick Berg, Mar 6, 2018
  6. zbook New Member
    1) Please re-post the disk management image using the information in this link:
    (widen each status and volume columns so that the contents of each row is not cut off)
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 Tutorials

2) Open device manager > click view > show hidden devices > expand disk drives > post an image into the thread

3) Open file explorer > this PC > post an image into the thead

4) Open the BIOS > see if you can view disk drives > use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture > post an image into the thread

zbook, Mar 6, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Then everything would appear to be normal now. What did you see before that made you say....

Bree, Mar 6, 2018
  8. Mick Berg Win User

Sorry for not doing that screenshot properly. Here is a screenshot of an explorer page to show what I mean.

In the left pane HDD (C: ) does not appear. But at the top This PC > HDD (C: ) does appear and its folders are listed correctly. Let me know if you need me to re-do the Disk Management screenshot.
    Thanks for your help.

Mick Berg, Mar 6, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Your screenshot of File Explorer is just plain wrong!

You have selected 'This PC' in the navigation pane and what you should see in the right hand pane is a list of the 'Folders' and 'Devices and drives', in fact the same list as you see in the navigation pane beneath 'This PC'. Instead you are seeing the contents of your C: drive. It should look like this...

Do you have any other accounts you can sign in with? If so, does File Explorer behave the same 'odd' way?

Does it still look 'wrong' after a Restart?

Bree, Mar 6, 2018
  10. Mick Berg Win User
    Will try those things and get back. Glad you agree that something is amiss.

Mick Berg, Mar 6, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    Yes, it all looks very wrong - as to why I'm stumped at present *Sad

It's way past my bed time here in the UK, so I'll be off now. I'll check back on your results tomorrow.

12. zbook New Member
    1) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    4) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    5) chkdsk /scan
    6) net user test /add
    7) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    8) shutdown /r
    9) sign on with the new user named test
    10) open file explorer > this PC > post an image into the thread

11) if the above does not work then reboot into safe mode
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    12) open file explorer in safe mode > post an image into the thread

zbook, Mar 6, 2018
  13. AddRAM Win User

It should look something like this, work on your view settings or something.

AddRAM, Mar 6, 2018
  14. zbook New Member
  15. Mick Berg Win User
    Referring to your first post, thanks but that is all too risky for me. My installation is very touchy, for instance if I restart the computer I lose my AMD video drivers. I have to turn it off, wait, and turn it on again. All these problems since Fall Creators Update, which added nothing useful. If my train sim ran on Linux I would be gone from Windows World in a flash.

I will try the suggestions in your second post.

Thanks

Mick

Mick Berg, Mar 6, 2018
Thema:

1. My C: Drive does not appear in Explorer - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Drive does appear

2. My username does not appear as USER on C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My username does not appear as USER on C: drive: My username does not appear as USER on C: drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-username-does-not-appear-as-user-on-c-drive/b6ac6888-4b41-4172-92f0-bc510d0d19ae
  3. My username does not appear as USER on C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My username does not appear as USER on C: drive: My username does not appear as USER on C: drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-username-does-not-appear-as-user-on-c-drive/b6ac6888-4b41-4172-92f0-bc510d0d19ae
  4. My username does not appear as USER on C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. An external drive does not appear in Windows Explorer My PC

An external drive does not appear in Windows Explorer My PC: Because I can no longer reply to my original threadhttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-external-drive-does-not-appear-in-windows/05b90b13-9aee-4b68-9886-dddb49dbe3a9I am posting here the ANSWER as to what the heck has happened to my computer....
  6. An external drive does not appear in Windows Explorer My PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An external drive does not appear in Windows Explorer My PC: Because I can no longer reply to my original threadhttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-external-drive-does-not-appear-in-windows/05b90b13-9aee-4b68-9886-dddb49dbe3a9I am posting here the ANSWER as to what the heck has happened to my computer....
  7. An external drive does not appear in Windows Explorer My PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. An external drive does not appear in Windows Explorer My PC

An external drive does not appear in Windows Explorer My PC: I have a Probox HFD1-SU3S2 4-bay disk docking station connected to my computer via eSATA. Originally I was operating three disks and all drives letters appear in Windows Explorer. Recently I slotted in a fourth disk, and despite assigning drive letter and restarting the...
  9. Hard drive does not appear in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive does not appear in Explorer: Windows 10 - unable to see Seagate hard drive. SSD drive appears and Windows is loaded on it. Drive appears in BIOS setting. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-does-not-appear-in-explorer/9d6f53c4-d841-454e-a5de-034823cddf0a
  10. C: drive does not show up in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C: drive does not show up in Windows Explorer: BIG EDIT: Apparently, my I: drive doesn't show up either... drives C:, D: and I: are partitions of one of an SSD, the other are partitions of another hard disk. I'm now guessing that D: drive is the problem.. I've just installed the Windows 10 17127 Insider Preview from the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what happens if the C drive does not appear