Windows 10: Mysterious computer problem

Discus and support Mysterious computer problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, So the downstairs family computer (Windows 10) started today (March 17, 2018), and I was stuck as all of the home screen icons as well as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ooboh, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ooboh Win User

Mysterious computer problem

Hi,

So the downstairs family computer (Windows 10) started today (March 17, 2018), and I was stuck as all of the home screen icons as well as the ones on the taskbar were nowhere to be found. It has continued to be this way. I ultimately decided on System Restore, until I ran into another problem — no restore points had been created on the computet’s system drive. The dialog box suggests that I should open system protection to create a restore point, but I cannot do that because it is available only in online operating system, which I also can’t do. What do I do to restore the computer to the way it once was?

Sincerely,

:)

ooboh, Mar 17, 2018
  2. donsloper Win User

display scaling suddenly changed

The problem on my computer mysteriously resolved itself after I installed the next update. My wife's computer is still distorted.

donsloper, Mar 17, 2018
  3. New Windows 10 notebook on the way

The option to allocate the space is greyed out. It's a common enough problem

Why there is a Recovery Partition between C and D, is a mystery. (In fact, there are three Recovery Partitions.) Why this computer came new with a partitioned hard drive is a mystery.

I wouldn't mind doing another "wipe". It's not a primary computer. But, that's a bit pointless until I can resolve this partition matter.

Ken.Cavaliere-Klick, Mar 17, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

5. ooboh Win User
    I’m afraid I cannot do that.

There are no icons on the screen and any attempts to access the toolbar are in vain because it is unresponsive. Not even pressing the windows key on the keyboard will do anything. Where do I go from here?

@Bree

ooboh, Mar 17, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Awkward to run anything, but not necessarily impossible. Can you get a blue options screen using Ctrl+Alt+Del? If so, you can start Task Manager. From there you can run anything you want from the 'File > Run new task' menu. If you don't see the File menu, click More details (bottom left).

For example, the first step in the tutorial I suggested is...
    From Task Manager you use Option Two here: Open Command Prompt in Windows 10

Likewise, you can start Regedit and anything else you may need from Task Manager. For the File Manager you run explorer.exe

7. zbook New Member
    1) When you power on the computer what do you see and hear?
    2) Do you see a computer manufacturer or windows icon, rotating dots, lock screen/wallpaper, logon screen?
    3) Had you tried the hardware method to boot into safe mode?
    a) Power on the computer an as soon as you see the Windows icon power off
    b) Power on the computer again and as soon as you see the Windows icon power off.
    c) Power on the computer again and this time let it advanced as far as possible.
    Does it open the Windows advanced troubleshooting menu?
    If so click startup options (not startup repair) > click reset > select #6 safe mode with command prompt
    4) Safe mode failed then find a flash drive that you can format ( > or = 8 GB)
    5) Create a bootable Windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10
    6) Insert the flash drive into any USB port
    7) Power on the computer and click the applicable keyboard key:
    List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys
    8) If it is a custom computer then temporarily modify the BIOS boot order so that you can boot to the external USB hard drive
    9) It may take 5 - 10 minutes for the iso to load while viewing the Microsoft Windows icon
    10) Select language, time, currency, and keyboard, or click next
    11) Click troubleshoot
    12) Click system restore
    (start with the oldest restore point and keep click restore up to the newest restore point)
    If system restore fails or if there are no restore points then advance to the next step.
    13) Click startup repair
    If startup repair fails advance to the next step

For all of the steps using command prompt please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into the thread.
    If there are any problems posting images please use one drive or drop box share links.
    14) Click command prompt > Administrator X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources> type:
    15) c:
    16) dir
    17) d:
    18) dir
    19) bcdedit /enum
    20) bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    21) diskpart
    22) list disk
    23) list volume
    24) select disk 0
    25) list partition
    26) select partition 1
    27) detail partition
    28) select partition2
    29) detail partition
    30) select partition 3
    31) detail partition
    32) select partition 4
    33) detail partition
    34) If there are any more partitions on disk 0 please continue in the same fashion
    35) select disk 1
    36) list partition
    37) exit
    38) chkdsk /r C:
    This may take many hours and typically displays the ETA.

Please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures of the command prompt commands and results and post images into the thread. Additional commands are based on the results of the above commands.

zbook, Mar 17, 2018
  8. ooboh Win User

I can get to the Ctrl+Alt+Del blue options screen, but running Task Manager leads to the blue loading circle near the cursor, and then … nothing.

ooboh, Mar 17, 2018
  9. zbook New Member
    zbook, Mar 17, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    Worth trying, pity it didn't work. You're in good hands with zbook, I'll take a back seat and watch your progress.

11. MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Mysterious computer problem - Similar Threads - Mysterious computer problem

2. dumpstack.log.tmp mystery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dumpstack.log.tmp mystery: I'm currently in the process of getting windows on my second hard drive, and I'm running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS right now. I saw another post of somebody asking what it was and the response was that it was a genuine file created by troubleshooting? why would the troubleshooting...
  3. Mysterious Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mysterious Shutdowns: Hi,I have a Lenovo Ideapad 3. Recently, I've been encountering some issues with it. Whenever I lift it, press the mouse pad a certain way, or move it, the screen gets extremely distorted for a few seconds, then shows a Green Screen Of Death, saying I have a Windows Insider...
  4. Mysterious User

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mysterious User: I came across a mysterious user account on my PC called KCAV1_m0f3hql. When I tried to delete it I was told the folder was open; It`s 5.62 GBs. The name does not appear in the Control Panel under Users Name. It only appears under User Profiles. Where did it come from? I...
  5. mysterious turn on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    mysterious turn on: I turn off my PC at night, but occasionally find that it is on in the morning. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mysterious-turn-on/34eaa1d9-6303-4e5e-8d53-972eaec90cb8
  6. Mystery recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    Mystery recovery: 80Gb 'spinning disk' HDDs that were viable in the PC I'm writing this post from, became undetectable by it. But if connected to another PC, they were 'viable'. In this other PC, I cloned to one of them, and that one is now visible in this PC again. Can anyone make sense of...
  7. Mysterious Problem related to internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mysterious Problem related to internet connection: Dear Microsoft community, Please, it's important to read the message to the end. I'm facing a very weird problem with my computers. Sorry for the boring details that i will write but maybe it's better to help understand what's happening. So, at the beginning i connected to...
  8. mystery minimizing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    mystery minimizing: For about 6 months now, the active window on my machine will randomly be no longer active. Chrome windows turn gray and I have to click back to them, fullscreen games get minimized, fullscreen movies lose the fullscreen view and I can see the taskbar. I have run disk cleanup,...
  9. Mystery organization...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Mystery organization...: Hello everyone, Recently I wanted to change my lock screen image. But now some settings for lock screen personalization are grayed out! It also says *Some settings are managed or hidden by your organization. Now, I am not connected to an organization or school. Well school...
  10. Multiple mysterious problems, trying to find cause

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple mysterious problems, trying to find cause: Hi there everyone, I was hoping that someone might be able to help me figure out what is going wrong with my new Windows 10 PC because it is starting to impede my ability to use my computer. I've troubleshooted everything I can think of and I'm still not sure what the...