Windows 10: One Drive haters - here's how to remove One Drive from File explorer

Discus and support One Drive haters - here's how to remove One Drive from File explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there Thanks to topgundcp here's how to remove One Drive from File explorer after a reboot. OneDrive Integration in Windows 8.1 - Enable or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Aug 6, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

One Drive haters - here's how to remove One Drive from File explorer

Hi there

Thanks to topgundcp here's how to remove One Drive from File explorer after a reboot.

OneDrive Integration in Windows 8.1 - Enable or Disable

1.Win+R->gpedit.msc
    2.Navigate to: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\OneDrive
    double click on: Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage.

3.Click on: Enable, Apply

Thanks again to topgundcp.

Note - stop the one drive service if it appears in the system area (right hand end of taskbar or in the hidden area).
    If after re-boot the one drive is still visible in File explorer - just click it and it will VANISH - GONE Hurrah. !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 6, 2015

2. removing a second hard drive Windows 10

I replaced a second hard drive in my HP Envy with a larger one. After uninstalling via disk manager and restarting, the disk was removed from the listing on file explorer. I installed the new drive and restarted, drive manager recognizes the new drive
    but still shows the one I removed. When attempting to initialize the new drive, I get an error message "data error cyclic redundancy check". What do I do from here?

PaulMaloney1, Aug 6, 2015
  3. One Drive on File Explore

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that One Drive folder on File Explorer no longer syncs with Camera Roll folder. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the pc prior to this issue?

• Have you installed all pending updates on the pc?

• In which user account are you facing this issue?

Sign out from the current user account, restart the pc and login to the Admin account or the MSA to test if that helps with this issue.

Also suggest you to install any pending Windows updates on the pc to check if that helps.
    Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Further, you may also boot the computer in a clean boot state and test if you that helps. When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the program.
    These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows: (Applies to Windows 10)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Note that gspedit only is available in Windows 10 Pro. It is not included in the Home edition.

It is possible to manually remove a few entries from the Windows registry in order to achieve the same result.

Joergi, Aug 7, 2015
  5. ktchong Win User
    ktchong, Aug 7, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks -- also good if you don't have PRO edition.

I try and avoid touching Registry where possible -- especially if giving general instructions for people not used to messing about with it.

Backup Registry always before doing this though - it's easy to make an error --even when cutting and pasting into a notepad file.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 7, 2015
  7. Lupercus Win User
    Hi Jimbo !

Strangest thing - I have the PRO version and applied the change in group policies as you indicated, but that pesky OneDrive thing won't go away in File Explorer (left site). Even after a couple of restarts.

Must be still some other setting that causes that ....

Best,

Lupercus, Aug 9, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

lx07, Aug 9, 2015
  9. Lupercus Win User
    Lupercus, Aug 9, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 13, 2015
  11. If you sync settings across multiple devices, this will likely break that functionality. Backing up your settings may not work too. Probably not a big deal for most, just a FYI post.

alphanumeric, Aug 13, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Nar, it'll only affect file storage in File Explorer and OneDrive.

I just tested in a VM and my desktop with the same MS acccount and the OneDrive disabled on the desktop. The changes I made (ex: show/hide hidden files) in the VM still got synced to the desktop. *Smile

Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  13. One Drive haters - here's how to remove One Drive from File explorer

OK good to know then. The list of things that wouldn't work had me wondering. False alarm on my part.

alphanumeric, Aug 14, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No worries. It's always good to question and check these sort of things. *Smile

Brink, Aug 14, 2015
  15. I might actually do that GPedit now. The only thing I use Onedrive for is to sync settings across my PC's.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. One Drive haters - here's how to remove One Drive from File explorer - Similar Threads - Drive haters here's

2. how to remove duplicate files and photos from one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to remove duplicate files and photos from one drive: how to remove duplicate files and photos from one drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-duplicate-files-and-photos-from-one/cd171e2c-1e12-48f2-821d-dc472d2d6572
  3. how to remove duplicate files and photos from one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove duplicate files and photos from one drive: how to remove duplicate files and photos from one drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-duplicate-files-and-photos-from-one/cd171e2c-1e12-48f2-821d-dc472d2d6572
  4. how to remove duplicate files and photos from one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Removing One Drive from user files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing One Drive from user files?: When setting up the new computer Windows 11 made a backup file of my OneDrive account in This PC/Windows C: Users/MyName/OneDrive. The computer is a lemon and has to go back and I want to send it "clean." Can I safely remove these files without losing them? I am pretty sure I...
  6. Removing One Drive from user files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing One Drive from user files?: When setting up the new computer Windows 11 made a backup file of my OneDrive account in This PC/Windows C: Users/MyName/OneDrive. The computer is a lemon and has to go back and I want to send it "clean." Can I safely remove these files without losing them? I am pretty sure I...
  7. File Explorer: removing one drive instances

File Explorer: removing one drive instances: I have 4 instances of Onedrive. 2 are my personal accounts and 2 are from a company I no longer work for and want to delete them from file explorer.i have delinked them and I have removed them from my C drive user folder - I really want to delete them from my computer file...
  8. Removing files from One Drive

Removing files from One Drive: I've just got a new PC and copied all my files from my external hard drive onto it. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the paths and they all went onto One Drive, which I don't want to use - I prefer to have control over my stuff, not send it into space! I deleted One...
  9. Can't remove One Drive folder from D Drive in File Explorer

Can't remove One Drive folder from D Drive in File Explorer: I have unlinked One Drive from my PC. I have uninstalled One Drive using add/remove programs. I have deleted File Registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}AND deleted same for Wow6432Node The Onedrive folder is still appearing on my D Drive...
  10. Removing a file from one drive

Removing a file from one drive: I have a free one drive account. I made the mistake of adding my picture folder to one drive. Now I am almost out of space. I want to remove picture folder from one drive. I DO NOT want to remove the pictures from my computer. Since it was a very easy drag and drop solution...