Windows 10: OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders

Discus and support OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello all, I've been searching for the last couple of weeks and haven't exactly found what I am looking for--I may need a third party app, but we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by weatherdt, Apr 12, 2016.

1. weatherdt Win User

OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders

Hello all,

I've been searching for the last couple of weeks and haven't exactly found what I am looking for--I may need a third party app, but we shall see. I have two computers--a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 Pro. My desktop's storage is basically bottomless, but my laptop's storage is much more limited (256 GB). I'm looking for a syncing solution that will mirror selected folders and files with my desktop's local Documents/Pictures/Videos/etc. folders into those on my laptop. When Windows Live Mesh was around, I used that utility to do exactly what I wanted (why did you eliminate it Microsoft?!?). Now that I have an Office 365 subscription, I'm hoping to mirror all of my desktop's Documents/Pictures/Videos/etc. folders to OneDrive, as well as selectively mirror certain folders down to my laptop. From what I gathered so far, files synced from OneDrive wind up in my C:\users\<username>\OneDrive\ folder--not exactly what I want. I've also found posts on creating directory junctions to folders in the OneDrive folder, but I haven't seen any that create a junction at the topmost special Users folder (Documents/Pictures/Videos/etc.)

Any thoughts on what I want to do? Does that make any sense at all? The exciting thing is that once I figure out my solution, I need to figure out how to apply it to my wife's setup--which is the same, except for her desktop is running Mac OS X (but she has a Windows laptop).

Thanks for any advice you have,

-Dan

:)

weatherdt, Apr 12, 2016

2. OneDrive and file explorer backward sync after latest Win10 update

After the new Windows 10 creative update, all the folders in "This PC" are syncing to ONeDrive even though they aren't selected in Which folders to sync in OneDrive. I've tested a few things and it is working backwards. All of the documents I had in my documents
    folder under This PC have disappeared and the only items showing now are the items which were in the Documents folder in my OneDrive. all the other items only show up now when I navigate to Local Disk>Users>tim(me). I cannot delete documents folder either
    in OneDrive or My PC.

The "Pictures folder has the green sync icon also under "This PC" but the downloads, Music and Videos do not even though Music is selected under Folders to Sync with OneDrive.

TimothyVack, Apr 12, 2016
  3. Peter_037 Win User
    Help! How do I stop One Drive Sync in Windows 10?

When I choose Folders and then deselect say Documents or Pictures a warning appears that says

"If you stop syncing the "Documents" folder, it will be removed from your PC and new documents you create won't be saved to OneDrive."

This is a little scary. When it says that it will remove the Documents folder does that mean that on my local hard drive the files will be removed as well as stopping the OneDrive syncing?

I just want to turn off OneDrive.

Peter_037, Apr 12, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to the TenForums!

You can indeed use OneDrive as a cloud storage location and you can select whether or not you want your files mirrored on the PC or laptop.

Here is what I would do:

1. Have your W10 storage options set up so that the locations are all to your OneDrive: see https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

2. Choose which folders you want to sync onto the desktop or laptop or leave as cloud storage: see https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

If you look in the Tutorial index there are a number of other OneDrive tutorials you will find to be helpful.

philc43, Apr 12, 2016
  5. weatherdt Win User
    Thanks Phil for your recommendation. I've actually been going through a lot of the tutorials to figure out the most ideal way of setting things up. Do you know what the difference is between the "Auto Save to OneDrive" option is in OneDrive settings and manually changing the location of Documents/Pictures/etc in the Shell Folder properties dialog? I'm assuming that with just the Auto Save option, my local Documents and Pictures folder is just going to stick around? I'm looking for an option to make the setup as foolproof as possible, especially for my wife's computers--so having files in two places may not be ideal.

weatherdt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. OneDrive Syncing with Local Documents/Pictures/Videos/Etc Folders - Similar Threads - OneDrive Syncing Local

2. Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures: These were the only files in my one drive and I know it syncs automatically. When this happens I know they all go to there file names by default. If one of these files had malware it would be a risk if it was ran or opened. Does windows open or run any file while setting up...
  3. Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive syncing documents desktop and pictures: These were the only files in my one drive and I know it syncs automatically. When this happens I know they all go to there file names by default. If one of these files had malware it would be a risk if it was ran or opened. Does windows open or run any file while setting up...
  4. The standard folders: Pictures, Videos, Documents etc link to the temporary user /Temp and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The standard folders: Pictures, Videos, Documents etc link to the temporary user /Temp and...: I was having trouble logging in - Windows was refusing to do this even though everything had been fine for years. In playing with the computer I created a temporary user. But then things got straightened out and I could log into my account. The trouble is, the standard...
  5. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...: I was recently trying to clear some space on my work laptop. I realized I wasn't really using the OneDrive folders on my sidebar so without really understanding what I was doing I unsynced it. It didn't really clear any space I didn't expect it to since as far as I knew, I...
  6. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...: I was recently trying to clear some space on my work laptop. I realized I wasn't really using the OneDrive folders on my sidebar so without really understanding what I was doing I unsynced it. It didn't really clear any space I didn't expect it to since as far as I knew, I...
  7. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop Syncing Desktop, Documents and Pictures with Onedrive: I have searched but cannot find an issue to my problem. I purchased a new computer, set up Windows 10, and now my Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders are syncing to onedrive. My Documents folder is far too large to sync, and I refuse to buy additional storage that I...
  9. Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Emblems for Assigned Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Folders: Hello! I just reassigned my default Pictures, Videos, Documents, etc. folders to folders on my secondary drive to save space on my performance drive. All the little emblems updated for each folder, except for the Pictures and Documents folders, and my OCD isn't liking it....
  10. sync icon overlay on documents, pictures etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    sync icon overlay on documents, pictures etc: Hi I have the latest october build on my PC brand new install. In one drive I have told it not to sync desktop/documents However my documents/desktop/picture folder all have a little sync icon on, and every file within them does as well. I have checked under 'show...