Windows 10: Link or Unlink OneDrive in Windows 10

Discus and support Link or Unlink OneDrive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Link or Unlink OneDrive with Microsoft Account in Windows 10 How to Link or Unlink OneDrive with Microsoft Account in Windows 10 OneDrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Link or Unlink OneDrive in Windows 10

How to: Link or Unlink OneDrive with Microsoft Account in Windows 10

How to Link or Unlink OneDrive with Microsoft Account in Windows 10

OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service where you can view, browse, upload, and share the files you saved online to OneDrive.

By default, choose to sync in OneDrive on your PC is automatically kept in sync with your online OneDrive.

Sometimes you may wish to stop syncing OneDrive files to your PC, and start syncing again at another time.

This tutorial will show you how to link (sign in) or unlink (sign out) OneDrive with a Microsoft account to start or stop syncing files for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Unlink (sign out) OneDrive with Account and Stop Syncing Files
    • Option Two: To Link (sign in) OneDrive with Account and Start Syncing Files

EXAMPLE: OneDrive on taskbar notification area

Link or Unlink OneDrive in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Unlink (sign out) OneDrive with Account and Stop Syncing Files
    1. Right click or press and hold on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area, click/tap on the menu (3 dots) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

*note If OneDrive is currently not running to show this icon, then run: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe

2. Click/tap on the Account tab, and click/tap on the Unlink this PC link under OneDrive. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Unlink account to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. OneDrive will now be unlinked from this PC and stop syncing files to your account in Windows 10. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Link (sign in) OneDrive with Account and Start Syncing Files
    1. Open your OneDrive folder in File Explorer or click/tap on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area.

2. Enter the email address for your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Sign in. (see screenshot below)

3. Enter the password for your Microsoft account, and click/tap on Sign in. (see screenshot below)

4. If you have turned on two-step verification for your Microsoft account, click/tap on how you want to get your security code to verify your identity, fill out any required information, and click/tap on Send code. (see screenshots below)

5. Enter the received code from Microsoft, and click/tap on Verify. (see screenshot below)

5. Make note of your shown OneDrive folder location, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. Do step 8 (new location) or step 9 (this location) below for where you want your OneDrive folder to be located.

7. To Choose New Location for your OneDrive Folder
    A) Click/tap on Choose new location. (see screenshot below)

B) Browse to and select a folder or drive for the location of your OneDrive folder, click/tap on Select Folder, and go to step 10 below. (see screenshot below)

9. To Use This Location for your OneDrive Folder
    A) Click/tap on Use this location, and go to step 10 below. (see screenshot below)

10. If prompted, click/tap on the Not now link. (see screenshot below)

11. When finished, looking through the Welcome to OneDrive guide, you can close the Microsoft OneDrive setup window. (see screenshots below)

12. If you like, you may now want to Choose what folders you want to sync with your OneDrive.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Mar 26, 2016

2. RED "X" ON MOST ALL FILES IN MY "C" DRIVE - WHY?

If you don't use OneDrive try
    unlinking it
    or even
    uninstalling it
    (can always reinstall later if you want to start using it).

RobertJWin, Mar 26, 2016
  3. the folder cant be moved here error windows 10

You can try
    unlinking
    OneDrive before moving the folder.

RobertJWin, Mar 26, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

One question Shawn...
    Now that my OneDrive folder and subfolders are moved and setup to the 2nd internal disk,

can I delete the whole folder on my C: drive in my User folder on the C: drive? Or should I leave well enough alone?

Cliff S, Mar 26, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Happy Easter Cliff. *Smile

I find that using key words based on the main subject (ex: OneDrive) works best when searching for tutorials.

If you don't use OneDrive at all, you could disable OneDrive integration to completely remove it.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Mar 26, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Oh I'm using it, it's just, I successively moved it's location from C*SadSSD) to my 2nd internal(a larger HDD). But, on C:, in my user folder, are still copies of the files. I just wanted to know if I deleted those, would if wipe out my new location and online folders, or are they ok to delete now, that they are sync'd to the other drive. Confusing I know, I'm having a hard time formulating what I mean myself*Redface

Cliff S, Mar 26, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 26, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

Ok ´Thanks. it might be good to leave it there, I guess, in case I need to put it back. It only has 18GB on a 500GB SSD with oodles of space left.

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Link or Unlink OneDrive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Link Unlink OneDrive

2. Unlinking files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unlinking files from OneDrive: A week ago I installed sims 4 on my pc. Onedrive automatically, which is annoying in itself, decided to link the sims files. I only have 5 GB in total on my personal onedrive, so you can imagine what kind of problem the sims gaming files will create..So, I did the steps I...
  3. Unlinking files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unlinking files from OneDrive: A week ago I installed sims 4 on my pc. Onedrive automatically, which is annoying in itself, decided to link the sims files. I only have 5 GB in total on my personal onedrive, so you can imagine what kind of problem the sims gaming files will create..So, I did the steps I...
  4. License linked vs unlinked!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    License linked vs unlinked!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Is there any difference between "Windows is activated with digital license linked to an Microsoft account" vs "Windows is activated with digital license".Linked vs non-linked difference, explain clearly....
  5. License linked vs unlinked!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    License linked vs unlinked!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Is there any difference between "Windows is activated with digital license linked to an Microsoft account" vs "Windows is activated with digital license".Linked vs non-linked difference, explain clearly....
  6. License linked vs unlinked!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. OneDrive Unlink

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Unlink: Hi. My pc storage is full and I was thinking of unlinking my two OneDrive accounts but I am worried that the files I have on them will be permanently removed. What should I do? I don't mind having to access them online if that's the case....
  8. Uninstalled OneDrive on Windows 10 before unlinking PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Uninstalled OneDrive on Windows 10 before unlinking PC: Microsoft Support tells me to reinstall OneDrive, but when I do it ends up being the OneDrive PWA version looks like a folder with a blue cloud on the task bar and the correct version which looks like a blue cloud on the taskbar. Right clicking does NOT allow access to Help...
  9. Onedrive won't unlink

Onedrive won't unlink: I am trying to unlink my onedrive account after accidently activating one drive setting up windows 10. I have turned off auto back up and it seems to unlink through the instructions given here...
  10. Unlink PC from OneDrive

Unlink PC from OneDrive: All my folders including my desktop are linked to OneDrive. My local PC User folder (Local Disk (C)>Users>user folder) does not have a desktop folder. If I unlink OneDrive, will a desktop folder be created?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unlink onedrive windows 10

2. where are my desktop links after unlinking onedrive

3. unlink pc onedrive windows 10

4. cant unlink onedrive windows 10,
  5. link and unlink shared drive windows 10