Windows 10: Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows

Discus and support Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows How to Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows post or send this record to a support professional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows

How to: Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows

How to Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows

post or send this record to a support professional to help them diagnose the problem.

Steps Recorder doesnt record text that you type (such as a password), except for function and shortcut keys.

Some programs, like a full-screen game, might not be captured accurately.

This tutorial will show you how to open and use Steps Recorder to record and save steps on your computer in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type psr into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Steps Recorder.

2. In Steps Recorder, click/tap on the down arrow next to the Help button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows [​IMG]

3. Change any settings you want, and click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below)

*note Any settings you adjust here are temporary—they go back to the defaults when you close and reopen Steps Recorder.
    • Output location - If you don't want to be prompted for a location and file name every time you save a file, select Browse to set a default location and file name.
    • Enable screen capture - Select No if you don't want to capture screen shots—for example, if the screen might reveal personal information that you don’t want to share. The app will still record a text description of your steps.
    • Number of recent screen captures to store - The default is 25 screens, so if you need to record more than that, increase this number.

4. When ready to record, click/tap on the Start Record button or press the Alt+A keys. (see screenshot below)

5. Go through the steps you want to record or to reproduce the problem youre trying to diagnose. You can Pause Record (Alt+U) and Resume Record (Alt+S) the recording at any time. (see screenshots below)

6. If you like while recording, you can click/tap on Add Comment (Alt+C), use your mouse to select the part of the screen that you want to comment on, type your comment, and then click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

7. When you are finished recording, click/tap on Stop Record (Alt+O). (see screenshot below)

8. If you didn't specify a Output location in step 3, then review the record of the steps you followed to make sure it shows what you want it to show.
    A) Click/tap on the Save button when ready. (see screenshot below)

B) Navigate to where you want to save the .zip file, type a name you want for the .zip file, and click/tap on Save.

*note The .zip file will contain your recording as a .mht file.

9. You can now close Steps Recorder if you like.

10. You can now post or attach and send this .zip file to the person helping you troubleshoot the problem on your PC. It can be viewed in any web browser.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 21, 2016
  2. weybrew Win User

Steps Recorder there... but not there

I seemed to have been saved by a link to this fix:
    Please use regedit to rename hklm\software\policies\microsoft\windows\AppCompat - changeAppCompat to AppCompat_HOLD . Then try launching PSR again.
    Tried it and now Steps Recorder seems to be working as it should.
    But to follow up on your suggestion, I'm going to try to find and repair the corrupt files that my sfc scan found... after setting a restore point!
    Thanks for your help.

weybrew, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Try3 Win User

Are you trying to use this? - C:\Windows\System32\psr.exe
    [Start menu, Windows accessories, Steps recorder - but often referred to as the Problem steps recorder]

It is supposed to launch a small UI dialog and it should also be shown on the Taskbar but, from your description, this does not happen. Does anything happen at all?

Denis

4. Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows

Steps Recorder in Windows 10

Hi,

To further assist you, we suggest that you provide your feedback on how to improve the resolution using the Steps Recorder by going to the Feedback Hub. Refer to the steps below:

• Go to Search or Cortana.
    • Type Windows Feedback.
    • Sign in with your Microsoft account.

Thank you.

Stephanie Sal, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Mooly Win User

I really don't know what to suggest to you.

Even though you can not see it on screen, does it show in task manager ? I wonder if it might be worth you running a system file check using :

sfc/ SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt.

Mooly, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Liezl Fal Win User
    Step Recorder

Hi Martin,

We would like to clarify some details so we can properly isolate the issue.

• What happened prior to this concern?
    • What was the exact error message that you got when you tried to open it?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the error message?
    For the meantime, please check out this link and see if it helps:
    To Record and Save Steps on your Computer.

We're here for your feedback.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows

1. Open and Use Steps Recorder in Windows - Similar Threads - Open Steps Recorder

2. Steps Recorder Won't Open on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Steps Recorder Won't Open on Windows 11: Hello, I'm using Windows 11 and I can't get the Steps Recorder app to open. Nothing seems to happen when opening it. I've tried running as administrator and also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it with no luck. The only other threads I could find were years old and didn't...
  3. Steps Recorder Won't Open on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steps Recorder Won't Open on Windows 11: Hello, I'm using Windows 11 and I can't get the Steps Recorder app to open. Nothing seems to happen when opening it. I've tried running as administrator and also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it with no luck. The only other threads I could find were years old and didn't...
  4. Steps recorder is missing steps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Steps recorder is missing steps: Hi I'm trying to use Steps Recorder to record steps so that I can turn them into test cases. However, It only records one step and misses all the others. I have tried changing the default save location but this has no effect. FTR I'm evaluating Desktop Step Recorders so...
  5. Steps Recorder error

Steps Recorder error: Hello, when ever I try to start recording on Steps Recorder, It says: "An error occurred while attemping to start recording and the Steps Recorder will now close." I've been searching online for answers but I found none. Can someone please help me? Have a good day....
  6. Problems Steps Recorder

Problems Steps Recorder: Hello --- I used this tool to document a issue, but I can find out how to change the output format or how to view the results. Any info on how to use this would be appreciated...
  7. Steps Recorder

Steps Recorder: HI All, Is there any option in step Recorder where we setup the record option with Mouse right Click or shortcut key or i like would like to know how can i avoid some screens from being getting recorded. Thanks, Vijay...
  8. STEPS RECORDER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    STEPS RECORDER: THE STEP RECORDER WORKS FINE MOST OF THE TIME. BUT WHEN I NEED TO SAVE A RECORDING THE MOST IT WILL NOT GIVE ME THAT OPTION AFTER PUSHING STOP RECORDING. IS THE RECORDING CAPTURED SOMEWHERE ESLE ON THE COMPUTER AUTOMATICALLY?...
  9. Steps Recorder won't open.

Steps Recorder won't open.: I've installed the 1809 update on my Lenovo desktop and it has been working great except the last week or two the Steps Recorder program is not opening. I click the icon and the program. I restart the computer and it won't open. It just will not open....
  10. Steps Recorder there... but not there

Steps Recorder there... but not there: I had been reading about using a screen steps recorder and found that one is built into Windows 10. I found it but despite multiple attempts to use it, launching it does nothing. I found the program files, shortcuts, and .exe files, but using them does not turn on the...