Windows 10: Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10

Discus and support Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10 How to Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10 The capturing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10

How to: Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10

How to Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10

The capturing clips, and sharing captures to Twitterall from one dashboard in Windows 10. However, you can also use the Game bar to record, take screenshots, and broadcast any app and game in Windows 10.

Recorded videos are saved as a .mp4 file, and screenshots are saved as a .png file.

See also: Introducing the New Xbox Game Bar for Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903

This tutorial will show you how to use the Game bar Xbox Game DVR feature to record video and take screenshots of any game or app in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Game DVR Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Gaming icon.

2. Click/tap on Captures on the left side, and make changes to the settings on the right side for what you want. (see screenshots below)

Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Record that using Game bar
    *note Record that lets you save the last 30 seconds of gameplay, or a 29 second long video screenshot of an app. The "record the last" timing can be adjusted in Game bar settings.
    1. If you have not already, you will need to turn on Record in the background while I'm playing a game in Game bar settings to enable Record that.

2. While you have an open game or app window active, do step 3 or step 4 below for how you would like to use Record that.

3. Press the Windows + Alt + G keys, and go to step 7 below.

*note This keyboard shortcut will only work if you have previously opened the Game bar using step 4 below for this specific game or app.

4. Press the Windows + G keys.

5. Click/tap on the Record last 30 sec button. (see screenshot below)

6. If prompted, check the Enable gaming features for this app to record gameplay box, and repeat step 5. (see screenshot below)

7. You will now see a notification letting you know Game clip recorded. (see screenshot below)

8. If you click/tap on the notification above, it will open to your %UserProfile%\Videos\Captures folder below.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Record from now using Game bar
    *note Record from now lets you manually start and stop recording a game or app. The length of a recording, including the maximum length, can be changed in Game bar settings.
    1. While you have an open game or app window active, do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to Record from now.

2. Press the Windows + Alt + R keys to start recording, and go to step 6 below.

*note This keyboard shortcut will only work if you have previously opened the Game bar using step 3 below for this specific game or app.

3. Press the Windows + G keys.

4. Click/tap on the Start recording button. (see screenshot below)

5. If prompted, check the Enable gaming features for this app to record gameplay box, and repeat step 4. (see screenshot below)

6. When you want to stop recording the game or app window, press the Windows + Alt + R keys or click/tap on the Stop recording button . (see screenshots below)

7. You will now see a notification letting you know Game clip recorded. (see screenshot below)

8. If you click/tap on the notification, it will open to your %UserProfile%\Videos\Captures folder below.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Take Screenshot using Game bar
    *note Take screenshot lets you manually take a screenshot of a game or app.
    1. While you have an open game or app window active, do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to take a screenshot.

2. Press the Windows + Alt + PrtScn keys to take a screenshot, and go to step 6 below.

*note This keyboard shortcut will only work if you have previously opened the Game bar using step 3 below for this specific game or app.

3. Press the Windows + G keys.

4. Click/tap on the Take screenshot button. (see screenshot below)

5. If prompted, check the Enable gaming features for this app to record gameplay box, and repeat step 4. (see screenshot below)

6. You will now see a notification letting you know Screenshot saved. (see screenshot below)

7. If you click/tap on the notification, it will open to your %UserProfile%\Videos\Captures folder below.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Jun 22, 2016
  2. renee1219 Win User

Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10

Crazzzzzyyyy quick question but can this be used for things other then apps and games. Such as a way to record a program or a browser for helping make tutorials. The way I understand "Snipping Tool" can take screen shots as well as custom cutouts of the screen your on. And the "Steps Recorder" records the steps taken and can also apply notes to the steps. But can the Game Bar record things like a tutorial steps. Like by recording your screen as a video rather then just steps. Like I said above Crazy Question.

renee1219, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows Game Bar not Recording Microphone By Default

Hi Yewtsan,

Incorrect configuration setting is one of the potential reasons why Windows Game Bar is not recording microphone by default. To help you resolve this concern, you may perform the troubleshooting steps provided on the link below:

Troubleshoot Game DVR on Windows 10

You may also try to turn off the Game bar and restart your computer before turning it on again. To do this, you may follow the steps below:

How to disable Game bar

1. Right-click the Start button.
    2. Click Settings.
    3. Click Gaming.
    4. Click Game bar.
    5. Click the switch below Record game clips. Screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar so that it turns
      Off.

Kindly update us with the results.

Wilfred Mac, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ariel Acu Win User

Hiding New Game Bar when Recording

Hi LeviathanTheEsper,

Normally, You can play your games while recording it in the background. It seems that background recording is not enabled on your computer that's why the Game bar is showing up when playing your games. Let's check if background recording is enabled by performing
    the following steps:

1. Press the Windows key, then select the gear icon to access Settings.
    2. Go to Gaming.
    3. Select Game DVR.
    4. Under Background Recording, check if the toggle switch is enabled.

We look forward to your update.

Ariel Acu, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Nikhar_K Win User
    Videos are frozen in recordings using Game Bar

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This issue is caused when the recording doesn’t end correctly. Normally when this happens you will need to restart the Game bar to fix the problem.

However, if restarting the Game bar doesn’t fix this issue, we can try the steps mentioned below and check if that helps in resolving the issue:

1. Close the game and Game bar.
    2. Press and hold Ctrl + Shift + Esc key to open
      Task Manager.
    3. In Task Manager, click on more details.
    4. From the list of running processes, look for
      Broadcast bar server
      (bcastdvr.exe), right click on it and select
      End task
    5. Restart your game and Game bar and try recording games.

You can also try updating Display drivers form Device manager to make sure the latest version of Display drivers are installed on the computer. To update the Display drivers, please follow the steps mentioned in the article
    Update drivers in Windows 10.

For additional information, you can refer the article:
    Troubleshoot Game Bar on Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Game Bar update

Hi MatyasSvoboda,

Incorrect configuration setting is one of the possible reasons why you're there's a little window when recording your games. To resolve this concern, I recommend that you turn off your Game bar and restart your computer before turning it on again. To do
    this, you may follow the steps below:

How to disable Game bar:

1. Right-click the Start button.
    2. Click Settings.
    3. Click Gaming.
    4. Click Game bar.
    5. Click the switch below Record game
      clips
      . Screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar so that it turns
      Off.

Kindly update us with the results.

Wilfred Mac, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Record and Take Screenshots with Game Bar in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Record Screenshots Game

2. Xbox game bar wont record, take screenshots or even record the last 10 minutes and I don't...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox game bar wont record, take screenshots or even record the last 10 minutes and I don't...: So, I'm on windows 11 and I don't know how to fix the Xbox game bar I've tried everything, and it still won't let me record or take screenshots and I want help to try to fix it, but I don't know what else to try...
  3. Xbox game bar wont record, take screenshots or even record the last 10 minutes and I don't...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox game bar wont record, take screenshots or even record the last 10 minutes and I don't...: So, I'm on windows 11 and I don't know how to fix the Xbox game bar I've tried everything, and it still won't let me record or take screenshots and I want help to try to fix it, but I don't know what else to try because it looks like this all the time....
  4. I cant record or take screenshots using xbox game bar

I cant record or take screenshots using xbox game bar: I cant record or take screenshots using xbox game bar. The icons are all greyed out and I cannot interact with them. I have triend various fixes on this website:...
  5. I cant record or take screenshots using xbox game bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant record or take screenshots using xbox game bar: I cant record or take screenshots using xbox game bar. The icons are all greyed out and I cannot interact with them. I have triend various fixes on this website:...
  6. Xbox game bar, capture screenshot and recording options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox game bar, capture screenshot and recording options: So I’m having a problem with my Xbox game bar where it won’t let me record any clips. Everytime I click onto the record button it says ‘ sorry, this pc does not meet the hardware requirements so record’ could someone help me with my problem?...
  7. Xbox game bar, capture screenshot and recording options

Xbox game bar, capture screenshot and recording options: So I’m having a problem with my Xbox game bar where it won’t let me record any clips. Everytime I click onto the record button it says ‘ sorry, this pc does not meet the hardware requirements so record’ could someone help me with my problem?...
  8. Game Bar Take Screenshot Command.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Bar Take Screenshot Command.: Is there a way to take a screenshot via a command similar tohow you can put your computer to sleep by making a shortcut with the target of “C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exepowrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0” The reason being is I want to map taking a screenshot to anxbox...
  9. Screenshot/screen record aspect ratio on game bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screenshot/screen record aspect ratio on game bar: When i take a screenshot/screen-record in-game with the Xbox game bar, it changes the aspect ratio from what it looks like on my screen 1920 X 1080 to 1280 X 1024 so it looks squished. How do I fix this?...
  10. Game DVR not recording videos only taking screenshots

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Game DVR not recording videos only taking screenshots: Hello to all, I have Dell Inspiron 15R 7520SE, running Windows 10 May 1903 version, with switchable graphics of AMD Radeon HD7730M (Adrenaline 19.5.1 driver) and Intel HD 4000. Ever since May 1903 upgrade, Game DVR is not recording game videos, neither gamepad nor hotkeys...