Windows 10: Panda AV Free mysteriously uninstalled; can't reinstall

Discus and support Panda AV Free mysteriously uninstalled; can't reinstall in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Yesterday I found that Panda AV Free was no longer installed on one of my computers, even though I hadn't uninstalled it. When I tried to reinstall it,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ricecrispies, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Panda AV Free mysteriously uninstalled; can't reinstall

Yesterday I found that Panda AV Free was no longer installed on one of my computers, even though I hadn't uninstalled it. When I tried to reinstall it, I got told that another installation was pending and that I should reboot. After rebooting it tried to continue with the installation and failed. I tried again and the same thing happened. I ran Malwarebytes, but it found nothing suspicious.

Is this just a malfunction, or is there something malicious happening? How can I get my anti-virus reinstalled and working properly?

Here is the log of the last failed install.PsNanoLog_899D.zip

:)

ricecrispies, Aug 15, 2017
  2. JLingard Win User

Windows 10 'parameter is incorrect' and 'Windows cannot access the specified device etc'

OK - after trying everything I could think of, I've discovered the problem was caused by an update that Panda AV applied to my tablet on 6 May. After that, it was blocking all executable files, including self-decrypting WinOptimizer files - but Panda was
    just doing this in the background without alerting me. So mystery solved I think. Thanks again for your help.

JLingard, Aug 15, 2017
  3. Can't assign volume names in File Explorer

That solved it! I removed Panda Free AV and installed AVG Free AV. Now the volume labels show up without a problem, and there are no autorun.inf files.

prestonpdx, Aug 15, 2017
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Panda AV Free mysteriously uninstalled; can't reinstall

You may wish to run the Panda uninstall tool & then reinstall again after it has cleared out all the remnants of the old installation. Then go from there & see if you have any more problems. If so, please post back .

How to uninstall Panda from the computer - Technical Support - Panda Security

Once you've removed it you may wish to d/l & run Malwarebytes (free version) & Adwcleaner to see if they find anything.

Then go from there & see if you have any more problems with re-installation of Panda.

Borg 386, Aug 15, 2017
  5. Thanks for the suggestion. I tried running the Panda uninstaller and it hung.

One additional piece of information I had forgotten about is that Windows Update is broken on this computer too, and mmc.exe will only run if I launch it from an admin console because of broken permissions. I don't know whether any of this is connected to the problem with Panda. I'm wondering whether it's time to give up trying to get it all to work and to do a clean install of Windows instead.

ricecrispies, Aug 15, 2017
  6. Borg 386 Win User
    Have you tried running an SFC to see if the problem can be fixed through that? Option 3 is the recommended one.

Run SFC Command in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Panda AV Free mysteriously uninstalled; can't reinstall [​IMG]
    Note If SFC could not fix something, then run the command again to see if it may be able to the next time. Sometimes it may take running the sfc /scannow command up to 3 times with restarting the computer after each time to completely fix everything that it's able to.

If not, then run the Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command to repair any component store corruption, restart the PC afterwards, and try the sfc /scannow command again.

Depending on how broken the OS is, it might be a good idea to reinstall. You can also try a refresh, reset or try a repair install first to see if this will fix the problem. There are some good tutorials here explaining the options.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Refresh Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Reset Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Borg 386, Aug 18, 2017
  7. Depending on how broken the OS is, it might be a good idea to reinstall. You can also try a refresh, reset or try a repair install first to see if this will fix the problem. There are some good tutorials here explaining the options.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Refresh Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Reset Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials Thanks for the suggestions. I'd tried fixing the msc problem before with a refresh, so I decided to do a reinstall and everything seems to be working now.

ricecrispies, Aug 20, 2017
  8. Borg 386 Win User

Glad you got it sorted. *Smile Sometimes starting over is just the best option.

This may help you down the road, you can make a system image so that if something like this happens again you can restore to the time that you made it.

Keep the system image on a external HDD and don't have it hooked up all the time, preferably only when you make system images. Keep 4 or 5 older versions & rotate them out, so that if you inadvertently make one with a virus/malware, you have another one to fall back on.

Create System Image in Windows 10 Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

Borg 386, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Panda AV Free mysteriously uninstalled; can't reinstall - Similar Threads - Panda Free mysteriously

2. Mystery device randomly uninstalling and reinstalling...how do I ID it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mystery device randomly uninstalling and reinstalling...how do I ID it?: I have a device on my system that uninstalls and reinstalls very randomly. I hear the notification noise, like when you pull a USB device out and plug it back in. I created an event viewer log for USB devices, but I don't think it is related to USB devices. I am not sure what...
  3. Free AV Reviews

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Free AV Reviews: Below is a lengthy, but informative article from ZDNet which reviews free AV software. May be of interest to those who prefer. WD fully meets my needs and I don't keep up with other AV's. But I have never heard of Sophos or Kaspersky Security Cloud. Best free PC antivirus...
  4. Uninstall Total AV

Uninstall Total AV: How do I uninstall Total AV [Original Title: Sercurity] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/uninstall-total-av/4fba9d54-7c65-4ec0-bcba-28f1a85e95e1
  5. Clean Reinstall Mystery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Reinstall Mystery: I decided it was time for a clean reinstall of Win10, the one that requires you to delete partitions. My previous data was on my G: drive, which was also deleted (and backed up to various locations first) The Win installation went according to plan, no issues. When I...
  6. Free Cats and Pandas 'Catastrophic Pandamonium' map for Minecraft

in Windows 10 News
    Free Cats and Pandas 'Catastrophic Pandamonium' map for Minecraft: The Minecraft Season of Giving has begun! Wait, what does that mean? Do I have to buy Jens a gift or something? Uh oh. He still hasn’t spoken to me since I got him that book called How to Git Gud at Minecraft: Extra Patronising Edition last year. Actually, our season of...
  7. Unable to uninstall GuardCat AV

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to uninstall GuardCat AV: I find the program called GuardCat AV but it's not listed under Settings-Apps so I'm unable to uninstall. I also tried deleting from PC-Windows(C:)-Program Files(x86) - GuardCat AV and tried to delete GuardCat AV but unable to delete. It wont complete deleting. Could you...
  8. Kaspersky AV Free after Rebate

Kaspersky AV Free after Rebate: Just in case you haven't seen this one: Get Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016 for free - CNET 51467
  9. Less intrusive "Free" AV

Less intrusive "Free" AV: Hello. I may be looking for an alternative AV to WD in the near future. Which free one do you think is av with less bloatware and less intrusive to the system? I know some of them include some not-so-good toolbars and some of them may even spy on you or, at least,...
  10. Bitdefender Free AV

Bitdefender Free AV: I like to try out things I have not used before so today I have installed Bitdefender AV and I like what I see up to now, I may be tempted to buy it *Smile [img] [img] 77320