Windows 10: Possible to backup software and restore?

Discus and support Possible to backup software and restore? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Okay, so, it looks like I'm going to have to refresh or reset Windows 10 at this point (I'm having an issue with it but I have tried all possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rowanrichards, May 22, 2016.

1. Possible to backup software and restore?

Okay, so, it looks like I'm going to have to refresh or reset Windows 10 at this point (I'm having an issue with it but I have tried all possible solutions). Is it possible to backup the program files, and/or registry settings for those programs and then restore afterwards? Even if I do it manually, it would save me a LOT of time than having to reinstall every single program (I have tons). Just wandering if there was a way to do this at all to an external drive, just to make it easier for me to reset the system.

Thanks,
    Rowan

:)

rowanrichards, May 22, 2016
  2. Schlaumy Win User

C6 Battery Draining

Hm... looks like the new software leaves some current consumpting hardware running -

@Nokia Pro's:

Maybe there's possibility to do a downgrad in software? This possibility should always be given, as backup.

Schlaumy, May 22, 2016
  3. Change language in my n95

Do anyone now if its possible to take a backup on a n95 with swedish software and put it on another n95 with english so that I get swedish software instead of english??

I know that you normaly have to get a language pack for your region, but I thought that it may be possible to do it by a backup instead. plz I would be grateful for an answer.

Mia

docs_mamsen, May 22, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

Possible to backup software and restore?

Using the Refresh Option, should restore the windows OS only, leaving your installed programs and files intact..

5. Thank you for your prompt reply!

On the Microsoft Website, it says refreshing my PC will allow me to keep my personal files, but will remove apps and settings.
    Is this just referring to Windows Apps?

rowanrichards, May 23, 2016
  6. sml156 Win User
    If you end up having to install all your software again I would suggest you look at Ninite web site . they have many program's and very simple way to install the most up to date versions. They probably will not have every program you want but it may help.

Discription: Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

They have a free version and a paid version.

sml156, May 23, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    No sorry mate - there is no refresh option on Windows 10 unlike Windows 8. No idea why it was removed. Only two options :

reset keeping data but not installed programs

reset keeping nothing (more or less a clean install).

cereberus, May 23, 2016
  8. Kyhi Win User

Ok, it is RESET - but choose option > Keep my files

9. cereberus Win User
    Reset my pc keeping files only keeps datafiles in user directories. It does not keep installed programs in programfiles. This is major gripe as no obvious reason why this functionality in windows 8 was removed.

cereberus, May 23, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    OldMike65, May 23, 2016
  11. Kyhi Win User
    Thanks Mike.......

This is what happens when you bounce between three different forums... they all run togather sooner or latter..
    I knew there was a way to refresh windows 10 without removing user programs and files..

12. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes I understand Kyhi Take care, Mike *Smile

OldMike65, May 23, 2016
  13. Possible to backup software and restore?

• Windows definitely needs that 'repair' option within the OS itself (maybe as part of the settings) without having to work out where to go to download ISO and ensure all the right options/languages selected. Given Windows 10 unpredictability this needs to be an easier option. Unfortunately nobody really wants to have to refresh/reset and then spend countless hours/days re-installing all their software. Long working hours and a wife who 'hates' the tech and the endless updates means I (and a reckon the average user) need easier and faster ways of restoring/repairing an OS and keeping all our programs (not just the data in the user folder)

Taking an image is a good backup but of course, should the worst happen there is still the small possibility that it won't restore and Windows will throw a hissy fit.

I've never done a repair myself but the paragraph below makes it sound like you need to nail it spot on or risk it not working or still losing everything and this is why MS needs to take a lot of the pressure off the average user. The language to choose is a little like Russian Roulette - does it mean the language setup in the regional options within Settings UI or does it mean a language chosen at some point during setup. I am sure on mine, even though I am in the UK the base language installed by my clot manufacturer was US English. And of course that's a grey area too if you are using English. When downloading the ISO how does one know what English to do go for English or English International - where does the UK fall into that??? Too many grey areas and too much risk ...

"You will only be able to do a repair install of Windows 10 from within Windows 10. You will not be able to do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode.You will need at least around 8.87 GB + what Windows is currently using of free space available on the Windows drive.
    The installation media (ex: build[/b] as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then the repair install will fail.
    The installation media (ex: language[/b] as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then you will not keep anything.
    If you have a USB.
    If you have a USB."

Scottyboy99, May 23, 2016
  14. I use Rollback Rx to back up these sorts of settings, but if you re-format the PC it would be deleted off the drive.

HanginJang, May 23, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    If you used a program like Macrium Reflect , free version, then store your image backup on a 2nd drive, or usb stick, it would not matter how many times you formatted your drive.

OldMike65, May 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Possible to backup software and restore? - Similar Threads - Possible backup software

2. Backup and restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore: So I am trying to use Windows backup and restore tool on my Sony Vaio laptop and I can't get it to work someone please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/82ca9cbf-e2a1-4116-83d7-002735c2c3be
  3. Is there a backup software that can restore installed files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a backup software that can restore installed files?: I'm looking for something similar to time machine on mac that backs everything up and restores everything to a new computer in the exact location as the last one. I performed a back up on windows 10 but it really only backed up my files and I still had to manually reinstall...
  4. Backup Solution/ Software for restoring Windows to a previous state

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup Solution/ Software for restoring Windows to a previous state: Hello,Could anyone please recommend a software which can be used to restore Windows to a previous date/ version when it gets messed up due to bad update/ install/ malware. I do not require a backup solution for images, music, documents, etc. What I want is a software which...
  5. Is it possible to create and restore a backup without a system image?

Is it possible to create and restore a backup without a system image?: I have wasted a week trying to backup my computer because I've been warned the hard drive will fail. Every time I get to 97% - which takes a day - it stalls. I have run chkdsk - also one day - and found some problems. I have a feeling each time I run it and each time I...
  6. File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?

File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?: I have the following problem / question: I use "Back up using File History" to backup all important files (documents, etc.) on my PC. I got 2 external drives. One of them I placed into the Safe Deposit Box at my local bank about a month ago (with the status as per that...
  7. Is there any free software to backup/restore OS or Files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is there any free software to backup/restore OS or Files?: I have a MyCloud device which hasn’t worked seamlessly since the day that I purchased it a few years ago. So I bought a Seagate EHD and have been using their Toolkit until their hardware EHD failed. I tried using Toolkit with my WD devices and found that it’s only good with...
  8. Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible?

Restore W10 File History backup on W8.1 - possible?: Is it possible to restore a File History backup from Windows 10 to a Windows 8.1 installation? I do know it is possible to restore a backup from W10 to W10. I am considering downgrading my laptop from W10 to W8.1. Obviously the first step is to back up all of my data there...
  9. Is it possible to backup Restore points?

Is it possible to backup Restore points?: Hi. Is it possible to backup Restore points? as i have a program that deletes them, so i would like to backup them before installation, and restore them afterwards. Thanks in advance. 57974
  10. Restoring backup

Restoring backup: Hi I have windows 10 installed on an SSD. I backup the entire SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. I now want to restore the windows 10 installation. Do I need to restore the entire SSD or can I just restore the C partition ? Whats the best way ? Thanks 27393