Windows 10: See Default System Language of Windows 10

Discus and support See Default System Language of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: See System Default UI Language of Windows 10 How to See System Default UI Language of Windows 10 The system default UI language is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by sbpetrack, Nov 8, 2016.

1. sbpetrack Win User

See Default System Language of Windows 10

How to: See System Default UI Language of Windows 10

How to See System Default UI Language of Windows 10

The system default UI language is the language of the localized version used to set up Windows during installation. All menus, dialog boxes, error messages, and help files are represented in this language, except when the user selects a different language.

The display language) is installed on the computer.

This tutorial will show you how to see the system default UI language for the installed language of Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To See System Default UI Language of Windows 10 in PowerShell
    • Option Two: To See System Default UI Language of Windows 10 in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: To See System Default and Installed Language of Windows 10 in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] To See System Default UI Language of Windows 10 in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Copy and paste the command below you want to use into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshotd below)

(Basic)
    *Arrow Get-Culture

OR

(Detailed)
    *Arrow Get-Culture | Format-List -Property *

See Default System Language of Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To See System Default UI Language of Windows 10 in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter.
    *Arrow dism /online /get-intl

OPTION THREE [/i] To See System Default and Installed Language of Windows 10 in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. In Registry Editor, browse to the key location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language
    3. In the right pane of the Language key, look at the value data (ex: 0409) of the Default and InstalledLanguage string value keys. (see screenshot below)

*note Default = Indicates the system default locale . The value of this entry indicates that locale 0409 (U.S. English) is used when no other language is specified.

InstalledLanguage = Indicates the installed language.

The value data (ex: 0409) represents the LCID ("Locale ID" or "Language ID"). You can look up the LCID in the table at Microsoft below to what locale/language you have.

*Arrow Locale IDs Assigned by Microsoft

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

sbpetrack, Nov 8, 2016
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 8, 2016
  3. How do I keep "English-International" as my DEFAULT keyboard entry preference in Windows 10?

Hello Shari,

We realize your concern in this regard.

Usually, by making a language as a default under Region and language will set it as a default. I mean going to
    Start > Settings > Time and language > Region and language and clicking
    Set a default for a language make it as default system language. Doing this will make a language as a default one and it won't get changed even after restarting your computer.

I guess there might be some problem with the User Profile causing this behavior. Suggest you to check this issue by setting up another User Profile to see if it makes any difference.
    Refer the article Set up accounts on Windows 10.
    Once you set up another User Profile, check and see if the same thing happens there.

Let us know how it went.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Nov 8, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 8, 2016
  5. sbpetrack Win User
    Thank you Shawn, very much. I believe the following comments will save at least some readers a large amount of time:

1. If one is trying to change the System Default UI language (and not the displayed language of an individual user), then the relevant tutorial is not the one you cite above, but is instead: [url='https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/region-and-language-settings-copy-in-windows-10.6819/[/url] (How to Copy Region and Language Settings to Welcome Screen and New User Accounts in Windows 10)

2. If you're like me, you don't want to really change the default system UI language at all. Your problem is that you have in your hand an upgrade .iso, but the upgrade won't allow you to preserve apps setting and files because the 'edition' of the iso isn't the 'same' edition as your current installed Windows. And logic tells you this can't be the real reason you can't preserve files apps and settings, because OF COURSE the .iso is of a different edition -- that's why you using it at all, to UPGRADE.
    The shameful truth is that it is the system default UI language which is likely to be different between the .iso and your installed Windows. None of the other language settings seem to matter, although YMMV. Rather than go through the rather delicate procedure in the tutorial just cited, i found that indeed if I just change the value of the "default" key of this tutorial, changing to the correct, desired, LCID (i.e. the one matching the upgrade .iso), then the command dism /online /get-intl reports the system default UI Language to be immediately changed. So you can proceed with the upgrade, and --miracle of miracles -- you can keep files apps and settings.

When the upgrade completes, it is probably safer to restore the registry value using he control panel Region settings in the tutorial mentioned in the previous paragraph. However you choose to do it, making the default system UI language agree between the current installation and the upgrade media was absolutely critical to keeping my apps settings and files.

sbpetrack, Nov 9, 2016
  6. ddelo Win User
    Hi Shawn,

First of all allow me to send my warmest wishes for a very Happy Easter, to you and your loved ones!!!

I seem to have a PowerShell culture problem. Let me be more detailed:

1. Installed language: en-us = English (United States)

2. Locale (Region): en-150 = English (Europe)

3. PowerShell shows culture en-us and subsequently date format M/d/yyyy whereas,
    Powershell ISE, shows culture en-150 and subsequently date format dd/MM/yyyy (which is the preferred for me)

Any idea? How can I change the PowerShell to the en-150 culture? If I run the command Set-Culture en-150, nothing happens.

ddelo, Mar 30, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Dimitri, and Happy Easter to you as well. *Smile

That is a bit odd.

Have you already tried changing the "Format" in "Region" CP to something else, apply, change it back to "English (Europe)", and apply to see if that may help?

Brink, Mar 30, 2018
  8. ddelo Win User

Yes I had tried that, but did again, with no success.

I was running some commands in PowerShell and I noticed the following:

The en-150 "English (Europe)" is a UserCustomCulture and is neither InstalledWin32Culture nor FrameworkCulture. Maybe PowerShell can only set "InstalledWin32Cultures" and/or "FrameworkCultures".

Now how come by running the same command ("Get-Culture"), the PowerShell ISE reports as current culture the correct en-150, whereas PowerShell reports en-us, I have no clue!

ddelo, Mar 31, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Strange conflicting settings. *Confused

What does it show for you in the registry key below? This is for the current user setting.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International

Brink, Mar 31, 2018
  10. ddelo Win User

ddelo, Mar 31, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Well, at least that helps to confirm your account is set to en-150. *Confused

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. See Default System Language of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Default System Language

2. Can't change Default system UI language in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change Default system UI language in Windows 10: I'm trying to install Windows 11 with an ISO File, but I can't use the option to keep my files and apps because the setup and my PC are in different languages.My PC was imported from Netherlands, and I change all language settings to English en-US When I try to change the...
  3. Can't change Default system UI language in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change Default system UI language in Windows 10: I'm trying to install Windows 11 with an ISO File, but I can't use the option to keep my files and apps because the setup and my PC are in different languages.My PC was imported from Netherlands, and I change all language settings to English en-US When I try to change the...
  4. Change Windows Default System UI Language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Windows Default System UI Language: Yes, there are many of these types of posts here. But I tried most of the methods shown there but just failed.I accidentally installed the wrong Windows ISO when trying to do a repair upgrade and now I can't keep my apps kind of an inconvenience but I just wanted to do a...
  5. Change Windows Default System UI Language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Windows Default System UI Language: Yes, there are many of these types of posts here. But I tried most of the methods shown there but just failed.I accidentally installed the wrong Windows ISO when trying to do a repair upgrade and now I can't keep my apps kind of an inconvenience but I just wanted to do a...
  6. How to change default system UI Language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default system UI Language: i want it in italian how can i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-default-system-ui-language/f4b1520b-c31c-4993-af14-aba954338dc1
  7. Change default system UI language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default system UI language: Hi. I want to change my default system UI language, but any method can't allow that. I tried everything i know about editing languages, but nothing changes the default system UI language.Windows Language Settings - Everywhere is English, but default system UI language is...
  8. How to change default system UI language

How to change default system UI language: Because of some reason, I need to change the default system UI language. Is there any way to change the language to what I want? Many thx! [ATTACH]...
  9. I need to change the default system language

I need to change the default system language: I bought a PC from a friend, it has Windows 10, but the PC has the language in Spanish and I need to change the default system language from Spanish to English...
  10. Changing system default language

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing system default language: Hi, I got a windows10 edition in a specific language and I would like to change it to English. How can I do it? Will it become the original English version or it is only a translation pack? The only guide I found is this How to change the system language across your...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 default system ui language registry

2. how to change default system ui language

3. macbook pro 14 m1 pro review

4. powershell get default system ui language