Windows 10: Pro license good for Home and installation with local account

Discus and support Pro license good for Home and installation with local account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am running a virtual machine under FreeNAS. I originally installed Windows 8.1 Pro on it, activated it with phone activation, then upgraded to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NavyLCDR, Jul 23, 2019.

1. NavyLCDR Win User

Pro license good for Home and installation with local account

I am running a virtual machine under FreeNAS. I originally installed Windows 8.1 Pro on it, activated it with phone activation, then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Once that was activated, then I clean installed Windows 10 Pro. All normal with no surprises.

Then I wanted to see if it was true that you could not install Windows 10 Home with a local account. So, I got the most recent Media Creation Tool, created a brand new ISO file from it, and booted my Virtual Machine from the ISO file. I ran diskpart clean and convert gpt commands. Then clicked I Don't Have a Product Key and selected Windows 10 Home from the list.

1. When asked to create a user account, there was the usual link for an Offline Account in the lower left corner. The network for the virtual machine was available, because I did get asked for MS Account info first. When I clicked on Offline Account it took me straight to the box to enter a user name. When installing Windows 10 Pro, there is usually a second nag screen asking if you are sure you don't want to use a MS Account. So....at least on my Virtual Machine, it is still possible to install the latest release version downloaded from MS with just a local account even when installing Windows 10 Home.

2. Now this is where it gets really interesting. I'm logged into Windows 10 Home with a local account on a VM that has never had any version of Windows Home activated on it before. But this first installation of Windows 10 Home is activated with a digital license! So, apparently, my previous installation of Pro also gave me a license for Home! Then I changed the product key in Home to the generic Windows 10 Pro product key and it upgraded to fully activated Pro.

:)

NavyLCDR, Jul 23, 2019

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jul 23, 2019
  3. Local vs Network user accounts

I just did a VM install, just to verify that I don't speak total crap.

Steps I took:

1. Installed Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063.0
    2. Entered the License Key
    3. Created a local account
    4. Went to accounts and added my Microsoft account
    5. Let Windows use this account for all apps
    6. Checked status on Microsoft account web page.
    7. Verified that the VM shows up there
    8. deleted my VM locally
    9. created a new VM installation without entering the License Key (on same VM but totally new Virtual disk)
    10. re-did steps 3-7
    11. verified that my VM is activated.

And indeed it is activated and I login to my VM using local account which is linked to my MS account. Pro license good for Home and installation with local account :)

Should I create a Video of this or do you trust my word on it? Or better yet test it yourself if you have a valid license key you can waste on a VM.

slicendice, Jul 23, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Pro license good for Home and installation with local account [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Thema:

1. Pro license good for Home and installation with local account - Similar Threads - Pro license Home

2. Windows 10 home / Pro Licensing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 home / Pro Licensing: Hi, Someone in my department has accidentally bought 5 devices with Windows 10 Home on instead of Windows 10 Pro. Are we able to re-image the devices with Windows 10 Pro and then license them using our KMS host and GVLK instead of having to buy a new Windows 10 Pro license...
  3. Windows 10 home / Pro Licensing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 home / Pro Licensing: Hi, Someone in my department has accidentally bought 5 devices with Windows 10 Home on instead of Windows 10 Pro. Are we able to re-image the devices with Windows 10 Pro and then license them using our KMS host and GVLK instead of having to buy a new Windows 10 Pro license...
  4. i have a windows home license but windows pro is installed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i have a windows home license but windows pro is installed: i got a notification about activation and there's an activation thing on the bottom right of my screen. when i went into the settings to troubleshoot it, it told me that I have windows pro installed but I have a license for windows home. i'm not sure how this happened or how...
  5. upgrade win 10 home local account to win 10 pro, with local account.

upgrade win 10 home local account to win 10 pro, with local account.: I would like to know what options are available for upgrading my Win 10 Home, with local account, to Win 10 Pro, also with local account,. I'm looking for instructions that are suitable for the device remaining as a local account. Changing the device from a local account...
  6. Volume PRO license to HOME license ? (WINDOWS 10)

Volume PRO license to HOME license ? (WINDOWS 10): Hi, my son's laptop (purchased outright from a large chain electronics store in another country) has just started popping up with a "Your Windows licence will expire soon" message. It turns out that it has a volume licence and we would be coming to the end of our 180 days. I...
  7. Windows 10 pro to Windows 10 home.. Digital Licensing good for home, not pro, and cannot...

Windows 10 pro to Windows 10 home.. Digital Licensing good for home, not pro, and cannot...: I have tried everything.. I reset the PC and cannot get an option to go back to windows 10 home. I see that my version cannot be activated due to the fact that I am running Windows 10 pro, and the computer troubleshooter says it found a digital license good for Windows 10...
  8. Windows Pro License for Local machine, if already installed on Remote Desktop

Windows Pro License for Local machine, if already installed on Remote Desktop: Hi, Sorry if this has been answered somewhere before, but I can't find the information I need. My company uses Citrix Remote Desktop for all employee's, for each user we own a Pro License for Windows and have a business 365 account for Microsoft Office, for use in...
  9. Pro license good for Home and installation with local account

in Windows 10 Support
    Pro license good for Home and installation with local account: I am running a virtual machine under FreeNAS. I originally installed Windows 8.1 Pro on it, activated it with phone activation, then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Once that was activated, then I clean installed Windows 10 Pro. All normal with no surprises. Then I wanted to see...
  10. Is Windows 10 Pro License Good for Multiple PCs?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is Windows 10 Pro License Good for Multiple PCs?: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on one machine but have another PC ordered and on the way and am wondering if my current license can be installed on multiple machines (how many, 1, 3, 5...more?) How do I determine this myself?....I went onto my Microsoft account and can't...