Windows 10: Problem added new user

Discus and support Problem added new user in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm going to give my computer to my wife so I added her as a new user. First on her W10 computer she's not signed in through her Microsoft account,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by rboppy, Feb 8, 2017.

1. rboppy Win User

Problem added new user

I'm going to give my computer to my wife so I added her as a new user.

First on her W10 computer she's not signed in through her Microsoft account, just her name and a random password, upgraded from Windows 7.

Wasn't able to use that, Windows requires a Microsoft account, no problem, used her Microsoft account and sat back, then I had dinner, still working, then watched the evening news, then when I checked it there was a black screen, and I could move the cursor, left it for ~1 hour with the same results. Alt+Ctrl+Del, switch users, logged back in as myself, everything worked fine. Logged off, was given the option of logging back on as my wife, it accepted the password and went right back to the black screen.

WinExplorer, C:\Users\... there she was (at least the first 4 characters of her email) and everything looked ok, most of the folders are empty but they are there.

Any suggestions?

:)

rboppy, Feb 8, 2017

2. Problem adding a new user

I've decided to resolve this issue by doing a reset/reinstall.

Thanks again for the response.

Steve Woolley Sr, Feb 8, 2017
  3. Problem adding a new user

I'm running Windows 10, version 1511 (PC), build 10586.14. I added a new user, but when the new user signs in with either a local account or a Microsoft account, Windows doesn't seem to fully load. The desktop is frozen, the Start button doesn't work,
    can't access Settings, apps, search, etc. In fact, the only way to sign out and get back to the default user is CTL-ALT-DEL to Task manager and restart or sign out from there. Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Steve Woolley Sr, Feb 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Problem added new user

Not quite true. Microsoft strongly encourage you to use a Microsoft account, but hidden away there is an option to create a Local account, just like the one she has on her other machine. See Option Three in this tutorial.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option3

I would try setting up a local account for her in the first instance. If that works correctly I would delete the first account you attempted to create, sounds like its profile hasn't been set up correctly. If that too has the 'blank screen' problem then report back, you may have a problem with the default user profile.

A local account will have a User folder in the name you choose for the account, not some fraction of an email address. It would probably be a good idea to make it into an administrator account so she can manage the PC, a new local account is by default a standard user when first created. If she wishes, she can turn it into a Microsoft account (or back again) at any time.
    How to Switch to a Microsoft Account from a Local Account in Windows 10
    How to Switch to a Local Account from a Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Bree, Feb 8, 2017
  5. rboppy Win User
    Thanks Bree!

As I suspected, her new, non-Microsoft account also has the 'blank screen' problem, and her user account has 9 created folders, mostly blank.

rboppy, Feb 8, 2017
  6. rboppy Win User
    So I went into settings to delete her Microsoft Account, it said she had to sign out, or I could restart. I restarted, deleted the account, switched users, and walla her new, non-Microsoft account came up!*chuckle

Now a lot of copy and paste.

rboppy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problem added new user

1. Problem added new user - Similar Threads - Problem added user

2. Adding new users to Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding new users to Windows: I have a new to me desktop that was running Windows 10. I have tried to add additional users but the Settings option refused to let me and said I had to use Control Panel. I tried that but it just sent me back to Settings which told me I had to use Control Panel................
  3. Adding new users to Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding new users to Windows: I have a new to me desktop that was running Windows 10. I have tried to add additional users but the Settings option refused to let me and said I had to use Control Panel. I tried that but it just sent me back to Settings which told me I had to use Control Panel................
  4. Problem adding new "User" account in Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem adding new "User" account in Win 11: Hi,I am trying to add my wife as a new "User" on a brand new 2 days old Dell Optiplex PC running Windows 11 and am getting this crazy error message: This is totally impossible, as I am the only "User" registered so far.Trying to think outside of the box, although it sounds...
  5. Problem adding new "User" account in Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem adding new "User" account in Win 11: Hi,I am trying to add my wife as a new "User" on a brand new 2 days old Dell Optiplex PC running Windows 11 and am getting this crazy error message: This is totally impossible, as I am the only "User" registered so far.Trying to think outside of the box, although it sounds...
  6. Adding New User, Account Is Corrupted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding New User, Account Is Corrupted: When I create a new user account, the desktop is corrupted.The start menu has a transparent background so items are unreadableSettings Home screen is OK but and option is unusable. most sections of a sub page randomly flash background colours, predominantly transparent.I have...
  7. Problems with adding a new user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Problems with adding a new user account: Following a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 I've repeatedly added a family member as an account user on the PC. Each time after getting the usual "Please wait" and "We're sorting it" messages the new user desktop opens with a message saying there is not enough disk space -...
  8. adding a new user on Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    adding a new user on Windows 10: Hi. I would like to add a new user so that it appears on the log in screen, the way previous versions of Windows did. There are instructions on the web, but the screen shots they show are different than I see on my screen when Windows 10 starts....
  9. New User Mysteriously Added?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New User Mysteriously Added?: So a while back, I went to restart my pc, and I got a message that said something along the lines of "another user is still using this pc, if you sign out now they may lose work". I had never seen this before, so after googling the meaning, I checked the Users under task...
  10. Adding new user problems

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding new user problems: Whenever I add a new user, some of the elements of Windows 10 don't work properly. For instance, the Start Menu does not pop up, or either the right click or the left click works but not both, Also some apps like Weather try to start but immediately shut off. Even the...