Windows 10: Problem upgrading to 1511

Discus and support Problem upgrading to 1511 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I successfully upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home a week or so ago but I used an ISO that I had successfully upgraded 2 other PCs with -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by b20feb, Jun 22, 2016.

1. b20feb Win User

Problem upgrading to 1511

Hi,
    I successfully upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home a week or so ago but I used an ISO that I had successfully upgraded 2 other PCs with - turns out It was build 10240. When I upgraded it gave me the option to keep all my installed software and settings.

I'm now trying to upgrade to build 1511, but the problem is it's not giving me the option to keep my software and settings, and It would take me weeks to reinstall it all and get all the settings right .

I read your guide on upgrading and downloaded Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso - it said this was for windows 10 Home and Pro. I burned it to a dvd and then ran the setup.exe from within windows 10. When it got to the options the one to keep software and settings was not selectable.

Can enyone suggest why it's not giving me the option to keep my installed software, and how to make it do so?

EDIT: I just noticed it says the reason is because I've chosen a language different from the one installed, but it didn't give me the option to choose a language. According to control Panel 'Language' I'm English UK, which is correct. How can I resolve this?

TIA

:)

b20feb, Jun 22, 2016

2. problem upgrading to version 1511

If this is the error message you are getting?

Couldn't Update System Reserved Partition

You get this error if the System Reserved partition in Disk Management is too small. The system reserve partition needs to be at least 300 to 450 MBs.

Press Windows key + R

Type: diskmgmt.msc

Hit Enter

Click the system drive to view the size.

Resolution:

How To Create a Windows 8 Recovery Flash Drive

Windows 7 -
    Create a system repair disc -
    windows.microsoft.com

For this example, I will be using Ease us partition manager:

• After installing Easeus partition manager, launch the program.
    • Select the system partition where Windows is installed.
    • Click Resize/Move button on the toolbar
    Under Decide size and position, use the knob and drag to the
    left until a desired amount of space is allocated. Look in the
    Unallocated Space Before:
    field to see how much. Once that is done, release.

You will now see an unallocated amount of disk space created. Click OK

Click Apply and OK to confirm changes. Your computer will be restarted to apply the changes.

After restart, log in and launch Disk Management – press Windows key + R > type:
    diskmgmt.msc then hit Enter on your keyboard.

Select the System Reserverd partition then right click it and click
    Extend Volume

Select the Unallocated space we created earlier then click Next then click Finish

You should now have a large enough System Reserved partition to accommodate Windows 10 setup.

Important note:

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How
    to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

How
    to: Determine if an application or hardware device is compatible with Windows 10

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Other factors:

- Disconnect external storage devices such as USB thumbdrive, external hard disk, SD card.

Upgrade using the ISO file:

How
    to: upgrade from previous versions of Windows using Windows 10 ISO file

See instructions: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Andre Da Costa, Jun 22, 2016
  3. problem upgrading to version 1511

Please restart your computer, allow 30 minutes for the system to run before uploading further information so that the impact of making changes can become apparent.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32
    and click OK . Place the cursor on
    System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save.
    Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.
    The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two
    for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode. If the report is in a
    language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload and share with everyone fresh copies of your
    System
    and Application logs (two files) from your Event Viewer to your One Drive and post a link here. You can remove the earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type
    eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do
    not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Jun 22, 2016
  4. CmmTch Win User

I've read that any W10 version will install updates during installation, including the current W10 version regardless of what you're using to install. Because that's how it's supposed to work doesn't mean it works that way. I used option #2 and chose "Upgrade Now" in this tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html to get mine to upgrade to 1511, regardless of what I tried, or how I did it, going through windows update always failed.

After upgrading I did go back and download a W10 iso to USB in case I ever needed the repair function.

Not sure what's happening with your installation, try Brinks tutorial and see if that works.

CmmTch, Jun 23, 2016
  5. Windows update should have brought you up to the current level.
    Have you deferred updates, disabled upgrades or run a metered connection and not allowed WU to do what it's supposed to do?

Check WU history - any failures?

The following commands will inform members of the current status on your machine and inform them what's on the install media. It's a place to start.

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    Note: Substitute your DVD drive letter for E in the example below.

Type the following commands

winver

slmgr /dlv

Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\Sources\install.wim /index:1

Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\Sources\install.wim /index:2
    Grab a screenshot of the output for each command and post them on your thread.

Slartybart, Jun 23, 2016
  6. b20feb Win User
    Thanks for the input.
    I only upgraded to 10 a week or so ago and the 1511 upgrade hasn't found it's way to Windows update yet, so I burned and ISO to a DVD, but the upgrade says the language I specified (I didn't specify one) does not match the language of my currently installed system (English UK). I've attempted to change it to English US but the language pack doesn't install.
    The Windows Update Troubleshooter finds nothing wrong, and Ive tried the usual stopping services and removing the Windows update folders. The Language pack downloads but doesn't install.

b20feb, Jun 23, 2016
  7. b20feb Win User
    Thanks for the help. There are no Windows Update failures (one update did fail but succeeded later)

Screenshots attached as requested. In case you missed the edit in my original post, the problem is that the upgrade process says the language I specified doesn't match the language of the installed system.

Problem upgrading to 1511 [​IMG]

b20feb, Jun 23, 2016
  8. Problem upgrading to 1511

Your system is 32-bit or 64-bit?

If your current Windows install is 64-bit, then try this

I'm not sure this will help, but it won't hurt

Insert your Win10 DVD

Right click the Windows icon
    (aka Start button) on the Taskbar
    Select Command Prompt (Admin)

Enter the following lines in the Command Prompt window:
    Note: Replace E with the DVD drive letter

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\sources\install.wim:2 /limitaccess

SFC /ScanNow
    If there are any errors on the screen after the commands run,
    Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs
    Right click the CBS folder
    Select Send to > Compressed (zip) folder
    answer yes to place on DesktopAttach the zip folder to your next post
    Full tutorials:
    Run DISM in Command Prompt
    Run SFC /ScanNOW in Command Prompt

Slartybart, Jun 23, 2016
  9. b20feb Win User
    Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
    It has been pointed out to me that I downloaded the wrong ISO; I downloaded the English version and I should have downloaded the English International version. *Redface I'm going to try the upgrade with the correct version (I suspect that will resolve the issue whereby it doesn't give the option to retain software) and hope I don't have any more problems further down the line.

b20feb, Jun 24, 2016
  10. b20feb Win User
    Thanks to everyone who contributed - the upgrade went without a hitch once I used the correct ISO !!!

b20feb, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem upgrading to 1511 - Similar Threads - Problem upgrading 1511

2. Cannot upgrade past 1511

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot upgrade past 1511: I have a Lenovo T400 laptop that runs a legitimate activated copy of Windows 7 Pro. I successfully upgraded it to Windows 10 1511 some time ago. It has all the updates to 1511 but cannot install the 1809 update. Any ideas? 139186
  3. Problem Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586

Problem Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586: Keep repeating on the update and won't update it... [img] Any solution? 37910
  4. Can't Upgrade to 1511

Can't Upgrade to 1511: Hello, I have been following this thread and am unable to upgrade my laptop to 1511, I am on build 10240. I have followed all the steps in this thread and many other threads with no result. I will update windows defender stuff but will not upgrade to build 1511 or the latest...
  5. Windows 1511 upgrade problem

Windows 1511 upgrade problem: Hi, I bought recently laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed on it. Last week I've tried to install 1511 upgrade, but it got stuck at about 23% so I decided to postpone it and to do this upgrade overnight since I heard that it takes lot of time. Now, however I keep getting this...
  6. Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511: Okay so I couldn't get Windows Update to install the November update, so I downloaded the .ISO file and created a bootable USB drive. My question is can use the setup .exe in the thumb drive to do the upgrade? Or will this want to do a clean install? I just want the...
  7. Any reason to upgrade past 1511?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any reason to upgrade past 1511?: Updated Win7 Pro to Win10 6 months ago and Deferred the upgrades option All my programs run fine. I am not planning to play games or do 3D stuff I see 1607 had a few problems and 1703 is coming in a few months Thanks Gary 72898
  8. Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?

Is the 1511 upgrade worth it?: I have Windows 10 Home version. It continually fails to install the 1511 upgrade. I have already spent lots of time on this and am concerned that successfully upgrading will require an inordinate amount of time and effort. An HP support person told me that it is not...
  9. System unusable after "successful" 1511 (1115, 1511, whatever) upgrade

System unusable after "successful" 1511 (1115, 1511, whatever) upgrade: Be kind, I'm more than a little stressed at the moment... I did a stupid thing. When I upgraded all 5 computers here to Windows 10 several months ago, it went SO WELL I figured doing the November upgrade yesterday would be a snap. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ran the...
  10. problem with upgrade to windows 10 home, version 1511, 10586

problem with upgrade to windows 10 home, version 1511, 10586: tried to install the upgrade to windows 10 home, version 1511, 10586, and it refuses to take, keeps telling me there's a problem and to try again later. 30115