Windows 10: Problem with tiles in Start screen

Discus and support Problem with tiles in Start screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have had this problem with Start screen tiles for some months. I had hoped it might go away with a either updates or some repairs to the Store or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by clayto, Jan 26, 2017.

1. clayto Win User

Problem with tiles in Start screen

I have had this problem with Start screen tiles for some months. I had hoped it might go away with a either updates or some repairs to the Store or resets, but it persists. A proportion of the tiles, perhaps about 20%, are either completely blank or just show the text name of the app. The blank ones are the biggest nuisance, as I have to keep clicking them until I finally land on the one(s) I want. Some are or were live tiles, but no longer display anything.

:)

clayto, Jan 26, 2017
  2. sdrexler Win User

live tile is not updating

I solved my live tile problem by opening every single app and turning off the live tile feature within the app for the apps that I don't place on the start screen. Now the live tiles on the start screen are working again.

sdrexler, Jan 26, 2017
  3. Microsoft 950 - lost phone tile on start screen

Sorry, but the problem is that the tile has vanished from the start screen (sorry, I used the word icon when I meant tile).

I can't unpin something that isn't there, and I cannot re-pin it as the option is greyed out!

MollsterUK, Jan 26, 2017
  4. enigma101 Win User

Have you updated your graphics drivers recently? Some older drivers have been known to cause issues with Start menu & Start screen tiles.

enigma101, Jan 26, 2017
  5. clayto Win User
    All drivers are reported as up-to-date.

clayto, Jan 28, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    If you don't have a system restore point or a disk image you can restore your system from...then

maybe
    SOLVED: blank/white paper icons Win7, after IconPackager uninstallation >> Forum Post by SparticusX
    (read carefully)
    or
    Windows 10: How to fix blank tiles on Start Menu

Create a system restore point and preferably a disk image before trying this for your own security.
    (The routine use of disk imaging is strongly recommended here - e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) - lets you have a second chance by allowing you to restore your system to one of a number of previously working states without technical help).

dalchina, Jan 28, 2017
  7. clayto Win User
    My current Restore Points are all set after the tiles issue appeared. I have an EaseUsToDo backup but this seems a hammer to crack a nut. I tried the PowerShell command a couple of times' ---- It generated several pages in red ink, I spotted references to 'error' and 'file does not exist'.

clayto, Jan 30, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jan 30, 2017
  9. clayto Win User
    Thanks again. I used Powershell Admin, I always do as well as Command Prompt Admin. I have not found any point in not using them as Administrator, but I suppose there is though I have not found it yet..

I tried the Troubleshooter but as usual it could not find any problem. I have used Troubleshooters a score of times, never with any success apart from curing a corrupt Store cache when I had Windows 8.1 more than a year ago.

I have seen some advice to replace the Start screen with one of the replacements like StarDock, which I might do if the problem gets worse. I have just installed two new apps, both of which have blank tiles.

clayto, Jan 31, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem with tiles in Start screen - Similar Threads - Problem tiles Start

2. Start menu/tile screen stays on

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu/tile screen stays on: Ever since the latest Edge update I did on 6/20/20 the start/tile screen stays on after you click on one of the tiles. It used to disappear after you clicked on a tile. If you move the cursor outside the start screen and click, than the start screen will disappear. It never...
  3. Tiles on Start screen

Tiles on Start screen: The tiles in the Start screen have gone from clean, efficient layout to all over the place and I don't know why. How can I get them back to display in an orderly fashion? Everything that I tried fails to solve the issue. HELP, please & thank you JC...
  4. start screen (with tiles on it)

start screen (with tiles on it): My start screen has all my tiles on it and the back ground will change colors but when I open it to full screen view the back ground goes black. I have toggled tablet mode on and off and I have change from picture to slide show and I have enlarged the tiles but to no avail...
  5. Start Menu Tile Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Tile Problem: I have a number of computers and I regularly fix and maintain a number of others. Yesterday, I rebuilt a laptop with the latest OS build 17134.167 and, as usual, I delete quite a number of tiles from the start menu and then add a couple of my own. To my amazement, all the...
  6. Sorting Start screen tiles

Sorting Start screen tiles: Is there no means to sort tiles alphabetically in a Start screen named group? It seems archaic to have to rearrange tiles by hand every time I add a new one, simply to maintain their alphabetic order. 49361
  7. Problem with start tiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with start tiles: When I click on the News or Weather tile, I get a flash across the screen but nothing opens. All other tiles work fine. Any ideas? Thanks. 27440
  8. Start menu tiles problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu tiles problem: I have very annoying problem with the start menu. When I expand the menu horizontally, the tiles wont move in to the empty space. I have tried everything. Cant move them manually either by dragging. Tiles just stay left. Here's picture of my problem: Imgur I will greatly...
  9. Blurry tiles on Start Screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Blurry tiles on Start Screen: Hi there, I've just upgraded to Windows 10 after a while on 8.1 and am slowly getting used to the changes. Because I preferred the Start Screen from 8 (as opposed to a Start Menu) I've set that as my default option on 10. But I'm experiencing an odd issue where the image...
  10. Start Tile Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Tile Problem: The screenshot shows a tile with its icon filling a very small area in the upper left corner of the tile box. This condition occurs every once in a while after installing a new application. I cannot figure out how to resolve. If I change the size of the tile other odd things...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lumia 950 how to remove empty tiles on start screen