Windows 10: Question on selecting the Microsoft Account vs the alternative choice

Discus and support Question on selecting the Microsoft Account vs the alternative choice in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Doing research on Win 10 Home before starting up my new Dell Win 10 desktop. Apparently one of the first notifications one gets when opening Win 10 for... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by fdm2000, Jan 12, 2020.

1. fdm2000 Win User

Question on selecting the Microsoft Account vs the alternative choice

Doing research on Win 10 Home before starting up my new Dell Win 10 desktop. Apparently one of the first notifications one gets when opening Win 10 for the first time is a decision on whether the user wants to use a Microsoft Account or an alternate (something like their own administrative account). Would like some guidance on which is generally the right option choice for the average pc user.

Frank

:)

fdm2000, Jan 12, 2020
  2. fdm2000 Win User

Doing research on Win 10 Home before starting up my new Dell Win 10 desktop. Apparently one of the first notifications one gets when opening Win 10 for the first time is a decision on whether the user wants to use a Microsoft Account or an alternate (something like their own administrative account). Would like some guidance on which is generally the right option choice for the average pc user.

Frank

fdm2000, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Question on selecting the Microsoft Account vs the alternative choice

If you use a Local account could I recommend you install an alternate Admin account with Administartor authority.

Then if you have an issue entering your day to day account you can use the alternate without having to go through any processes to activate the built in Administrator.

I like to think of it as a second set of keys to the car.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Hello Frank, *Smile

It basically to set up a Microsoft account or a local account.

A local account will be the same as what you had in Windows 7.

A Microsoft account uses your email address and allows you to use Microsoft services that require you to sign in to with your Microsoft account.

You can switch your account to either one at anytime afterwards in Windows 10 though.

Switch to Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

Brink, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

1. Question on selecting the Microsoft Account vs the alternative choice - Similar Threads - Question selecting Microsoft

2. A pretty interesting selection of choices

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A pretty interesting selection of choices: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ioquack [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/zl0v0g/a_pretty_interesting_selection_of_choices/
  3. Microsoft vs Local account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft vs Local account: What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a Microsoft account instead of a local account to log into Windows10? Is it any safer to set separate administrator and standard user accounts and primarily use the standard account? submitted by /u/Bordercrossingfool...
  4. Microsoft Vs Local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Vs Local account: I have seen a lot of emails about changing a Microsoft account into a local account. I am trying to complete the reverse i.e. Changing a local to a Microsoft one. Here is where I am is. - PC is named Den - I have a local account on the PC user Neil Humphreys - On the...
  5. Microsoft account question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft account question: I wound up with 2 Microsoft accounts. Can I sign in to my second device & create another user, then delete the second account without affecting Windows 10 on either one? Then my pc & laptop could sync....
  6. Old microsoft account vs new microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Old microsoft account vs new microsoft account: I keep getting asked to log into an account that I no longer have for Microsoft. I thought when a support staff person help me switch to the new account that the old one was going to either be deleted or would be merged with me new account. But Microsoft continues to ask me...
  7. Question on local vs microsoft account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Question on local vs microsoft account: Just setting up a laptop for my daughter. 1. Can you still log in to a laptop as a user set with a microsoft account even if there is no internet access? She is likely to need access in places where there is not always internet access. 2. I have the administrator...
  8. Microsoft Account vs. Local Account

Microsoft Account vs. Local Account: Primary user here on this computer...if I set up PC as a Local Account do I need a password? I use Outlook as my mail server. Will I have to enter my Microsoft Account password to use Outlook if I initially set up PC as a local account. Basically I want to boot up not...
  9. Login Account Choices

Login Account Choices: HI Group, I have 2 accounts. When I boot up, I get into one account or the other. What I want is to go directly to the screen where I have the choices of which account I want to go into. As it is, I have to go into the account that comes up and then switch users to get to the...
  10. Microsoft Account Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Account Question: Will you be required in windows 10 to have an local account to use windows 10 offline and will you be able access the ms store and download apps while logged into your local account 4971