Windows 10: Reinstalling Windows 10 with a laptop bought second-hand

Discus and support Reinstalling Windows 10 with a laptop bought second-hand in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all I have recently bought a laptop, i7 with 2 HDs (128GB SSD and a 1TB HD). I bought it from Computer Exchange (CEX), a UK second-hand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by david1806, Nov 7, 2017.

1. david1806 Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10 with a laptop bought second-hand

Hi all

I have recently bought a laptop, i7 with 2 HDs (128GB SSD and a 1TB HD).

I bought it from Computer Exchange (CEX), a UK second-hand electrical store that I have been using for about 20 years.

So my question is, how would I do a nice, clean re-install? Should my PC have come with any CDs (it didn't) or can I do it all online? CEX would not sell a PC with dodgy Windows software, that is for sure. I don't know how it works - when you buy a second-hand laptop with Windows installed, does this mean that you are now the owner of a copy of W10? Can I register it if this is the case? Am I making sense? *Confused I know that CEX sell the PC with a clean install, but I would like to do it myself for my own reasons.

Thanks in advance, hope I made sense!!
    David

:)

david1806, Nov 7, 2017

2. can i change from win 10 pro education to win 10 pro?

I bought a laptop second hand with windows 10 pro education already installed. is there ant way to change it to windows 10 pro?

christhompson_476, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Windows 10 digital license second hand

If I buy a second hand computer with a windows 10 digital license and I reinstall windows 10 will it activate if the guy I bought it from used his account to get the license?

Sindrathion, Nov 7, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Hello, David. If it is activated now with digital license, then it will always activate. Therefore you can clean install at will.

Yes, the license is transferred to you as owner.

To check > Hold Windows key + I > Update & security > Activation.

Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Edit:

The Digital License is stored on the MS activation server along with a hardware hash (fingerprint) of the PC.

Tony K, Nov 7, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    You should be fine doing a Clean Install for yourself, if desired. Would suggest 2 things first.

1. Get a copy of your keys. Check here for a freebie app that will display your keys, and make note of them. They should already be digitally activated, but to be safe, get them first.

ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums

2. Make a full system image backup before Clean Install if you haven't already. Macrium Reflect Free is highly recommended by many on Tenforums.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

Then proceed with your clean install.

Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

f14tomcat, Nov 7, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Hi @david1806,
    A laptop as originally supplied by the OEM would have had a non-transferable OEM licence for the version of Windows it was supplied with. Such a machine with a properly licenced Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 could be upgraded to Windows 10 for free, which would get it a digital licence for Windows 10, again tied to the unique hardware ID of the PC.

If this machine was new enough to be originally supplied with an OEM Windows 10 on it, then it too would have a digital licence tied to the PC's hardware ID. A PC made for Windows 8 or 10 would almost certainly also include a Windows key embedded in its firmware.

Whatever way your machine got its Windows 10, if it says in Settings > Update & security > Activation that "Windows is activated with a digital licence" then yes, when you bought the machine the licence came with it. The digital licence is stored on Microsoft's activation servers, so for a clean install of the same edition (Home or Pro) you can skip entering a key when asked. It will activate automatically as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

An OEM supplied Windows 10 (or an OEM W7/8 upgraded to W10) can usually be identified by having the manufacturer's name and logo on the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System page and the manufacturer's name in the Settings> System>About page. If yours shows these, then rather than a clean install from Microsoft supplied media, they probably did a Reset, which does a clean install using the existing Windows as its install source files.

*Arrow Reset Windows 10

If there is no manufacturer's name, then it is more likely to have been wiped clean and Windows 10 installed with install media freely downloadable from Microsoft.

*Arrow Download Windows 10 ISO File

This ability of Windows 10 to do a Reset to a 'clean' install is a neat trick that allows Windows 10 machines to do without a manufacturer's restore media or a separate 'factory reset image' partition as was often put on OEM Windows 7/8 machines.

You can make your own 'factory reset' media from the existing Windows 10 by making a Recovery Drive USB that includes system files. If your machine was supplied with Windows 10 by the OEM, then it would likely also have been customised to include machine-specific drivers and OEM utilities, which would also be reinstalled by a Reset. These too will be included in the system files on the Recovery Drive. A recovery drive can be used to repair Windows or do a complete clean install. If it included OEM customisations as well then it is effectively an OEM 'factory reset' drive.

*Arrow Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

Bree, Nov 7, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    As an aside, I often get my machines from CashConverters. They do an effective job of cleaning their machines too, but I know what you mean about wanting to do it yourself (just to be sure). I usually try to do a 'maufacturer's factory reset' if it is available.

Bree, Nov 7, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

When you purchase a computer you do not know the status of the hardware or the software unless the person/business selling to you the product has reported these during the sale.

If the exchange always verifies the Windows software before the sale then the above posts have the information needed.

In case the Windows has not been verified it may be possible that you have pirated software.

If it is pirated software and you perform a clean install you may need to purchase Windows.

So let us know whether the operating system was or was not checked before the sale.

zbook, Nov 7, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    A screenshot of WINVER would be helpful.

WIN KEY + R, WINVER, enter

f14tomcat, Nov 7, 2017
  10. david1806 Win User
    Hi
    Here is the WINVER screenshot

Reinstalling Windows 10 with a laptop bought second-hand [​IMG]

david1806, Nov 7, 2017
  11. david1806 Win User
    And my Activation screen:

Reinstalling Windows 10 with a laptop bought second-hand [​IMG]

david1806, Nov 7, 2017
  12. david1806 Win User
    Thanks for all the replies guys & gals - it's getting a bit late. Will come back to this and keep you updated (I betcha can't wait!!)

D

david1806, Nov 7, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

It looks clean and legit to me. Doesn't look like it came off a Caribbean Sailing Vessel. All up to date, too. For that version.

f14tomcat, Nov 7, 2017
  14. david1806 Win User
    Cheers F14 - CEX would not sell a PC with a dodgy copy of Windows, they are a reputable store. I highly recommend them, all their products come with a TWO YEAR warranty.....

david1806, Nov 7, 2017
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    I don't think you'll have any issues doing a clean install if you want to. Should come right up and activate. If you use an MS account, you'll need to verify with phone/email or something, but that's quick. Just take common sense prep steps...backup and all that.

Good luck! *Smile

f14tomcat, Nov 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Reinstalling Windows 10 with a laptop bought second-hand - Similar Threads - Reinstalling laptop bought

2. Second-hand laptop Admin problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second-hand laptop Admin problems: Got a second-hand laptop with W11. Old owner still on as Admin. MS365,etc downloads all to his folder. Made myself an Admin but still can't move or control files or make shortcuts. Should I start all over from scratch or is it retrievable?...
  3. Second-hand laptop Admin problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second-hand laptop Admin problems: Got a second-hand laptop with W11. Old owner still on as Admin. MS365,etc downloads all to his folder. Made myself an Admin but still can't move or control files or make shortcuts. Should I start all over from scratch or is it retrievable?...
  4. Second-hand windows 11 - reinstall without installation disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second-hand windows 11 - reinstall without installation disk: hi, I just bought a second-hard PC that came with a registered copy of Windows 11 Pro. Windows was pre-installed on the device when the first owner bought it, so I do not have an installation disk. I would like to completely wipe the hard drive and then install Windows 11 on...
  5. Second-hand windows 11 - reinstall without installation disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Second-hand windows 11 - reinstall without installation disk: hi, I just bought a second-hard PC that came with a registered copy of Windows 11 Pro. Windows was pre-installed on the device when the first owner bought it, so I do not have an installation disk. I would like to completely wipe the hard drive and then install Windows 11 on...
  6. I just bought a second hand laptop and it just turned on and off and this happens, is that...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I just bought a second hand laptop and it just turned on and off and this happens, is that...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/spacecat002 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mmnfxy/i_just_bought_a_second_hand_laptop_and_it_just/
  7. Second hand laptop - windows 10 pro in not activated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Second hand laptop - windows 10 pro in not activated: Split from this thread. I just buy a second hand laptop and I seen that my laptop windows 10 pro in not activated. In settings there are showing hardware of your device has changed. widows was not activated and a error code. What I will do in this case?...
  8. Cannot access disk on second hand laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access disk on second hand laptop: I have a lenovo laptop G580 with windows 8 I just bought at a yardsale today lady said it turns on well it does and it says. Harddisk Security. SATA Port O. WDC. WD7500BPKX-OOHPaJLock can anyone tell me how to bypass this password please 155025
  9. Seconde Hand laptop came with an activated windos 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Seconde Hand laptop came with an activated windos 10: Hi MS community I just bought a used laptop and after installing windows 10 it was auto ativated without entering a product key how do i know if the ativation legit cause the laptop omes with a windows 7 OA sticker ??...
  10. Second hand surface laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Second hand surface laptop: We recently purchased a brand new Microsoft Surface Laptop for work. It is a great product, however after using it for a week found it was incompatible with our work systems and went and purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro. We've uninstalled everything and completed a "Hard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reinstalling windows 10 with a laptop bought second