Windows 10: Reset Local Account Password

Discus and support Reset Local Account Password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; After a power glitch, Windows did not recognize my local password anymore Although I have been able to login using my Microsoft account password, I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by pstrg, Mar 16, 2016.

1. pstrg Win User

Reset Local Account Password

After a power glitch, Windows did not recognize my local password anymore
    Although I have been able to login using my Microsoft account password, I would like to be able to login locally again.
    How to achieve that? I have only found ways to reset the Microsoft account password, not the local Windows password.

:)

pstrg, Mar 16, 2016
  2. Anne Fuj Win User

Local account password reset

Thank you for getting back to us with the information, Alisa.

When you say I couldn't use my password after signing out of my Microsoft account,
    did you mean to say that you previously logged into a Microsoft account to your device? If so, did this mean that you're prompted for an incorrect password?

If that's the case, you can log in again using your Microsoft account so you won't have to create a new one. Here is the below on how you can reset it:

When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account

Meanwhile, to answer your question on how to login using a new local user account, you have to log in first and go to your desktop. If you're able to go to your desktop, click this
    link for the steps on how to create a new user account.

If you're unable to go to your desktop, let's boot your device into safe mode first. Not only that it’ll help us get your computer up and running, but it’ll also help us with determining the cause of the problem and solving it.

Here’s how to run your PC in the Safe Mode, when you’re not able to log in:

• Restart your computer while holding the SHIFT button
    • The Advanced Startup menu will open in the boot. Go to
      Troubleshoot
    • Now, go to Advanced Options > Startup Settings.
    • Click the Restart button.
    • A window with various startup options will show up. Press 5 or F5 on your keyboard to choose
      Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Wait for your computer to boot.

Once your computer booted to safe mode, sign in with a local account. Here is how:

• Open the Settings app.
    • Go to the Accounts section. Now navigate to the Your info tab.
    • Click Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Enter your password and click Next.
    • Now enter a username for your local account and click Next.
    • After doing that, click the Sign-out and finish button.
    • Now log into Windows 10 with your local account.

Let us know how things go so we can further assist you.

Anne Fuj, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Local account password reset

Hello,

I did reset the computer and choose ''keep my files'' but the local account did stay, since I couldn't use my password after signing out of my Microsoft account.

Every time I turn on the PC all I is see the login screen and I cannot log in without a specific password- how can I log into a new local user account?

AlisaZhukov, Mar 16, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Mar 16, 2016
  5. pstrg Win User
    Option two in the tutorial (using netplwiz) does not work for me, because "Reset password" is grayed out for my user account.

pstrg, Mar 16, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    What about the other options to change it?

Brink, Mar 16, 2016
  7. pstrg Win User
    Can't use option one (don't have password reset disk).

Option three affects only the Microsoft Account password, not the local user password.

pstrg, Mar 16, 2016
  8. pstrg Win User

I think to have found a solution.
    Logged as Administrator and set a new password for my user account (Paulo).
    I was trying to do that while logged as Paulo and maybe that's why the Reset password option was grayed out.

pstrg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset Local Account Password - Similar Threads - Reset Local Account

2. resetting local account password since i forgot it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    resetting local account password since i forgot it: Hi Team,I just remember my PIN and i have forgotten my local account password. How can I reset it now?I have not linked my PC with the microsoft account.Thanks in advance...
  3. Trying to reset local account password

Trying to reset local account password: Hello!A few days ago, I signed out of a windows account by replacing it with a local account so I can sign in with a new windows account later.However when that time came I forgot my local account’s password and I can’t find a solution on how to reset it, any help?...
  4. Reset local account password.

Reset local account password.: I want to login with my microsoft account on a laptop. But I can´t since I need to know my dead stepfathers local account password. I know the pin number. Tried for hours to get in contact with microsoft support. But it is impossible to reach a human....
  5. Reset local password

Reset local password: How do I reset my local password if I only remember my PIN? I tried resetting using the security questions, but I either seem to forget them or am not tying them in the same format. I do not want to lose my account and have to re-install all my programs....
  6. How to reset a local account password from an admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to reset a local account password from an admin account: How do i change a local account’s password on a Windows 10 machine, using an Admin account? Last night, i changed the hours that the local account could log on. This morning, we discovered that the password and security questions must have also been changed dont know how...
  7. Password reset for local account

Password reset for local account: I changed the password on a local account and can not log in. How can I reset it if I can not get past the sign on screen? If I try the reset password option, it tells me to insert a USB drive. I did not set up the computer in the beginning, and no reset disc was made. Can I...
  8. Reset sign-in password admin account from a local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset sign-in password admin account from a local account: Hi. I have a problem.. My password from admin account has changed without my permission. Do you know how to reset it? I have a local account if this can help.....
  9. Resetting my Windows 10 local account password

Resetting my Windows 10 local account password: Hi, I forgot my Windows 10 local account password. when searching the web, I got 'Resetting my Windows 10 local account password' under which the points say to use 'Shift + restart' in the power button after general restart. When I followed the same procedure on my...
  10. reset "local account" password in windows 10 screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reset "local account" password in windows 10 screen: How do I reset my password local account in windows 10 screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/reset-local-account-password-in-windows-10-screen/4cf69b02-e848-451d-8077-828fa7f74f9b