Windows 10: Run Command Box not Auto-Saving Suggestions

Discus and support Run Command Box not Auto-Saving Suggestions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know the run box was saving my entries in the auto-suggestion menu when I first purchased my machine (system one) but I don't know when it stopped, a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Anak, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Anak Win User

Run Command Box not Auto-Saving Suggestions

I know the run box was saving my entries in the auto-suggestion menu when I first purchased my machine (system one) but I don't know when it stopped, a recent update perhaps?

This first snip shows my entry for regedit and the result after I tested three times to see if regedit would be saved and it wasn't, this happens with any CMD I try to run, if I open to click on a previous CMD I am presented with an empty suggestion box.

Run Command Box not Auto-Saving Suggestions [​IMG]

I searched and found a tutorial from @Brink on how to empty the suggestion box where the registry key is located and that result is shown in this snip, my registry key is super imposed on Shawn's .bat file:

From Shawn's win8 tutorial:

Note The auto suggestions history for the Run dialog are stored in the RunMRU registry key below. This is what the .bat file below will delete for you automatically to clear the history. The next time you open something from Run, the RunMRU key will automatically be recreated and will save the new history.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU
    From the note would the general consensus be that if I delete that key it would jump start the auto-suggestion box into working again or would the problem lie elsewhere?

:)

2. Surface pro 4 (I7) taskbar disappearing from screen after running apps

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

From what you have described, it looks like you have enabled the autohide taskbar option in the settings.

In order to identify if this is causing the issue, I would suggest you to try the steps below:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command.

2. Type control and press enter.

3. Type taskbar and navigation in the search box.

4. Open it and uncheck "auto-hide the taskbar" and save the changes.

Alternatively, you can drag the mouse at the bottom of the screen, if the taskbar slides up, right click on it and select "properties". Uncheck "auto-hide the taskbar" and save the changes.

Get back to us with the response.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jun 14, 2017
  3. Unable to install Microsoft Auto Collage 2008 apps on Windows 10

Microsoft Auto Collage 2008 apps will download from Microsoft site into "downloads" on my PC with no problem.

The Problem: When the Microsoft Auto Collage download is clicked to open for installation, a drop down box appears with the message "open with". This "open with" message box will not allow installing the download. All downloads should be opening with an
    option that states "run or save" for installing the download.

Any suggestions as how to get my apps past this error and installed into my PC are welcomed.

Thank you

Dave

Original title: install from download problem

Dave G Fields, Jun 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jun 14, 2017
  5. Anak Win User
    Thanks dalchina,

I tried the internet options and the registry key was there and set as Append Completion string value = yes as in the tutorial and even after a restart the run suggestion box wouldn't save the previous entry.

I'm pretty busy all this morning and won't be able to look into the winaero tweaker until later this afternoon.

6. Anak Win User
    I checked out the winaero tweaker and explanation link and see no difference in what is offered here, except the fact that winaero wants the user to sign-out and then sign-in to set the changes and I "thought" I did that by restarting the machine.

I'd rather stay away from starting a "sign-out / sign-in routine".

7. iDamn Win User
    iDamn, Jun 17, 2017
  8. Anak Win User

Thanks iDamn,

I'm on my 7box now or I'd try that, and I will when things calm down here, maybe 6 more hours. Nothing serious just catching up on some odds and ends that crept up this past week.

I'll try it before a couple of things I thought of: Need to see what the wife's Code: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU[/quote] keys looks like, her machine is almost the same as mine (system two in my specs).

And I notice MRUList is always in a good key, here's mine from this 7box:

I'm thinking if I create a MRUList sub-key that might jump start populating the list, if not I'll try adding the others like Code: e reg_sz regedit\1[/quote]
    Would sure like to know what the base cause of this is, almost has to be an update. *Sad

Thanks Shawn!

9. Anak Win User
    That did the trick iDamn! I have my suggestion box back. Thank You!

And thanks to all that pitched in!

Anak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Run Command Box not Auto-Saving Suggestions - Similar Threads - Run Command Box

2. Auto saving Tags

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto saving Tags: HiI have just started tagging my photos again after a hiatus.The original tags, from when I stated years ago, automatically come up..ie, I type P, and Paul Smith and Peter Smith automatically come up.New photos that I am tagging, with names not used years ago, ie Christmas,...
  3. Run Box is Saving File History Even After Clear

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run Box is Saving File History Even After Clear: the run box Win+R is saving recent file history even after I clear it. I've tried everything I can think of and followed every guide I could find, but nothing has been working. I have tried deleting registry keys RunMRU and clearing it from file explorer, but none of those...
  4. auto save

auto save: how can I add membership #'s ? ie. AAA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-save/beddf685-4f27-4017-9ce9-c4174ab45adc
  5. Folder and file auto suggest

Folder and file auto suggest: Since the last update i cant get auto suggest to work when searching in folders. For example open my music folder, search for Eric Clapton and i would usually be given files based on what i was typing without having to hit enter or even finish the name. Any ideas? THIS IS...
  6. Run command not saving the history of commands used

Run command not saving the history of commands used: I bought refurbished Dell 5050 and noticed a difference from old Dell - both used Windows 10 Pro. When I use the run command, it does not put in the last used command automatically. My old Dell 7010 running Windows 10 Pro would display last used command but now each time I...
  7. How to have Word auto-suggest document title when "save as"?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to have Word auto-suggest document title when "save as"?: Hi, I probably turned this option off some time, a long, long time ago... But now would like Word to auto-suggest the first line of document text when doing "save as". Where did i put that option away? *092 130892
  8. Run command not saving History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Run command not saving History in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Auto-complete is one feature that makes executing same or similar commands easy. Whether you are typing in the Command Prompt or on Run prompt if what you are typing matches with previously executed command, you save a lot of time. [...] This post Run command not...
  9. Issue with "suggestions" in the search box.

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue with "suggestions" in the search box.: Hello *Wink when I type something in the windows search bar, it automatically fills itself with a program's name and I can't change anything about it. The only thing I can do is click on the program, or the search bar. Clicking on the search bar results in the word being...
  10. Disable auto save?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable auto save?: Okay so when i shut down my pc directly and close a specific app like discord. then shutting down immediatly using the start button when i turn on my pc again chrome automatically opens with that tabs last night and discord which i exited didnt start up as it should be...