Windows 10: search field and cortana wont function

Discus and support search field and cortana wont function in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all I installed a new version of Windows 10 pro. The search function and cortana was working fine. My IT person joined the company domain and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by techforay, May 20, 2017.

1. techforay Win User

search field and cortana wont function

Hi all
    I installed a new version of Windows 10 pro. The search function and cortana was working fine. My IT person joined the company domain and everything still worked correctly. We did updates and lost the use of the search bar and cortana. The start button works fine just not cortana or search. I have tried all the stuff online to fix this without success.

I have tried a group of suggested solutions like Scannow,Get-appx comands and a few other things i saw online. Can someone walk me through a process to solve this.

:)

techforay, May 20, 2017
  2. techforay Win User

Cortana and search field wont work.

I just tried doing a clean boot. I also forgot to mention that i can not do updates either. Even during the clean boot session i get this message.

search field and cortana wont function [​IMG]

techforay, May 20, 2017
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Cortana and search field wont work.

Hi,

We see that you are having issues using the Search bar and Cortana on your Windows 10 PC. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you tried creating a new account user on your computer and see if you will still encounter the same issue?
    • Have you tried to perform a clean boot on your computer? If not, kindly follow the steps that are provided on this

link

Note: Go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Regards.

Eric Ber, May 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if
    Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    and
    Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials
    don't help, and if Cortana does not work in a new user account, then
    you may have to do an in-place upgrade repair install.

If Cortana does work in a new user account (create one for test purposes) then that is unlikely to help, and you either need to resolve the problem in the account which is affected, or use a different account and delete the affected account.

Otherwise, given
    , use one or more system restore points (if System Restore is enabled and you have useful restore points) until the function is restored.

Note: perhaps you are in the habit of using disk imaging, which we strongly and repeatedly recommend. (E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk and external storage for images).

If so, you could restore a disk image.

dalchina, May 20, 2017
Thema:

1. search field and cortana wont function - Similar Threads - search field cortana

2. Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.: Forgive me, as this is gonna be a long one, but I've been going through this for hours and I'm gonna be as detailed as possible in simple terms. There's an issue with some of the apps, but my priority is the search bar that's ceasing to function, which looks like those apps...
  3. Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.: Forgive me, as this is gonna be a long one, but I've been going through this for hours and I'm gonna be as detailed as possible in simple terms. There's an issue with some of the apps, but my priority is the search bar that's ceasing to function, which looks like those apps...
  4. Cortana, Search function, Apps are not working.

in Cortana
  5. Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

in Cortana
    Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working: I have tried all these suggested fixes and none of them fix either of the two problems. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/file-explorer-search-not-working.html I am wondering if anyone else had this dual problem? I see there is a Powershell script I can run...
  6. Use Cortana in text fields?

in Cortana
    Use Cortana in text fields?: Hello to the group, I am used to speak text into input fields on my iPad and Android phone, e.g. on WhatsApp. This works very well by now ;-). In Word 365 on Windows 10, speech recognition is now also available. Question: How can I activate speech recognition (microphone...
  7. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?): I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I start typing. This is amazing. This computer. Endless problems. I have two computer each with win10 and each installed at...
  8. Re-install cortana and search functionality?

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-install cortana and search functionality?: Hello So i recently updated my PC to the latest windows ten anniversary update, and it re-installed Cortana, so i ran the well known uninstall file to remove it. But it seems in this update removing Cortana breaks the search functionality as well. Is there a way to...
  9. PC Search function after deleting Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Search function after deleting Cortana: If I take ownership and delete Cortana from Windows/SystemApps will my search function on the taskbar still work (that is, search within the PC)? 14869
  10. Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function: Sometimes Start menu and Search/Cortana buttons become frozen and only after hard boot they work. 19756