Windows 10: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; netdragon, I'm glad you found it. When you update to the next build of Windows 10, it'll be the same as in the tutorial afterwards. *Smile Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by werty, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

netdragon,

I'm glad you found it. When you update to the next build of Windows 10, it'll be the same as in the tutorial afterwards. *Smile

Brink, Mar 26, 2016
  2. tracit99 Win User

Shawn,

As I mentioned in my previous post, this settings is being ignored in 14291. I have tried my WiFi set to metered using Settings, Registry (DefaultMediaCost) WiFi=2, and command prompt (netsh wlan set profileparameter name="network_ssid_here" cost=Fixed). I have restarted after each change. When new updates are found they download immediately. I no longer get the metered connection notice or the Download button. Hopefully this is just a temporary anomaly with 14291. For me this is an important setting, because I use it to "control" Windows Update.

tracit99, Mar 26, 2016
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Build 14295 is available if you like. *Smile

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14295 for PC and Mobile

Brink, Mar 26, 2016
  4. hiens Win User

Why doesn't change wifi connection as metered in registry editor after I was doing option 2?*Huh

hiens, Jun 21, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  6. hiens Win User
    Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [​IMG]

It was successfully update into cost=Fixed but in registry editor doesn't change into 2 or when I was restart. or else I'll change it manually..

hiens, Jun 21, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  8. hiens Win User

Ok thanks sir Brink, but I have a question. what should I do if dont have a change owner like this?...

hiens, Jun 22, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    What are you trying to take ownership of?

If Control Panel, then you shouldn't even try since it could cause issues.

Brink, Jun 22, 2016
  10. hiens Win User
    I was try , thanks sir. Brink *Biggrin

hiens, Jun 23, 2016
  11. Hi Shawn,

Is there any way to set metered connections default on? Not for specific connection (SSID) for each new connection.

Yasak Hayat, Jul 13, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Yasak,

I'm afraid that I'm not aware of a way to have all new wireless networks automatically set as metered.

Brink, Jul 13, 2016
  13. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Ok Shawn. Thanks anyway *Smile

Yasak Hayat, Jul 13, 2016
  14. noahw86 Win User
    is there a way to actually know what constitutes as "data usage"?

i have an app called Desktopinfo Glenn's Eclectic Freeware , that simply is just to report local device info on the desktop, and it sometimes will show a large amount of data within "data usage", sometimes from 1-3GB within <=30day period.

noahw86, Jul 26, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Wireless Network

2. Metered network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metered network: I have a server that is connected to the network switch. Switch is not connected to the internet, somehow I keep getting message under network status " You're connected to the Internet" You're on metered network. Some apps might work differently to help you save data while on...
  3. Metered network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Metered network: I have a server that is connected to the network switch. Switch is not connected to the internet, somehow I keep getting message under network status " You're connected to the Internet" You're on metered network. Some apps might work differently to help you save data while on...
  4. Metered network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Metered Network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered Network: I keep getting a message that says: You are on a metered network etc. What does that mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-network/a6672604-e8fc-4b63-8d13-4cb7d94d4895
  6. VPN's and metered networks Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPN's and metered networks Windows 10: Hello, I have Windows 10 and have been told that creating a VPN is recommended. I'm pretty new to trying to do this stuff myself so please forgive my ignorance. I was wondering what kind of VPN to use, there's a setting for automatic, and I was planning to use...
  7. Convert Network to non-metered

Convert Network to non-metered: Convert metered Network to non-metered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-network-to-non-metered/3094623a-bd33-4b9c-a7d0-03d4f5e90d38
  8. metered network?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    metered network?: help! This is a headache! What does this PC is on metered network mean? One drive sync is paused to prevent data charges? That to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/metered-network/594456d5-4b5e-4e04-8972-7371beb3678f
  9. Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.: Hi, I'm currently installing a computer for someone who basically uses it to pay bills and read emails. They connect to internet with an USB dongle that connects to 4G network. It is a non-metered subscription and I've changed that connection from the Windows Settings to...
  10. How to set a connection as non-metered?

How to set a connection as non-metered?: Hi, I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 and I am using a Huawei modem E173 to connect to internet. The problem is that the connection is set as metered and I cant install any updates and also the connection drops frequently. How to solve these problems? Thanks,...