Windows 10: Setting default locations for libraries

Discus and support Setting default locations for libraries in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have 3 drives total, and have tried to set the default locations of all the libraries (documents, pictures etc) to a drive that is not the OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by James7Roberts, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Setting default locations for libraries

Hi,

I have 3 drives total, and have tried to set the default locations of all the libraries (documents, pictures etc) to a drive that is not the OS one.

These are my drives:

Setting default locations for libraries [​IMG]

I want the libraries on (GSetting default locations for libraries :) instead of (CSetting default locations for libraries :).

I went onto properties/location on all libraries and changed them to (GSetting default locations for libraries :). But not all of them are on the drive, and note that the icon for the G drive on the left is the pictures icon.

What went wrong, and how can I fix this?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

James7Roberts, Mar 15, 2016

2. setting separate default locations for different types of downloads

Hi Mark,

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Yes, as you have mentioned there is no option to send a particular downloaded file to a specific location.

All the downloads will be saved in the default location downloads folder, but you can right click on the file that is been downloaded and select "save as" and then select the location to save the file.

You can also provided your valuable feedback using feedback app in this regards.

Thank you.

Guru Kiran G, Mar 15, 2016
  3. MarkHodo Win User
    setting separate default locations for different types of downloads

Guru Kiran G

Thanks for you reply...but, the product was free and not worth that price. How personal can a personal computer be if it can't be personalized. I hate to belabor the point, so I'll just get an Apple next time.

Thanks,

Mark

I just rec'd an email asking if my problem been resolved. So...no it hasn't.

It comes down to the P(ersonal)C being able to be Personalized. The ability to choose a storage location...ONCE vs. having to move every stinking file downloaded...every time you down load any-freaking-thing would seem to be an absolute no brainer, how did
    10 make it out of the factory and onto store shelves.

Seriously, I have never had any huge problem with a MS product...but this sucks...long, hard and always.

I would love to have a new copy of 7 Pro that I could reload onto my PC.

Thanks,

Mark

MarkHodo, Mar 15, 2016
  4. wyldman68 Win User

Setting default locations for libraries

I would try going to c:\users\username\foldername instead of using the quick access location. And do the properties/location, worked on my PC. You should be able to rename the pictures folder.

wyldman68, Mar 15, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 15, 2016
  6. Hi, thanks for the responses.

I've tried to reset all the libraries to default to go through with Brink's advice.

But there's a problem with Pictures and Videos:

I seem to have associated the entire G: drive with the Pictures library. There is no location tab in the properties. How can I fix this?

James7Roberts, Mar 15, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It looks like you may have your "C:\Users\(user-name)\Pictures" and "C:\Users\(user-name)\Videos" folders on G: instead.

Double check using the tutorial below to make sure that you have these folders set to be saved to "This PC (C)".

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/change-storage-save-locations-in-windows-10.9783/

If they are, then see if using OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore the default locations of these folders may help.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Mar 16, 2016
  8. Setting default locations for libraries

Many thanks!

I used the Option Two solution, and all is now back on the C: drive as I wanted.

The "WindowsApps" folder remains on G: though. Is there a way to get this back over to C:?

James7Roberts, Mar 16, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 16, 2016
  10. Yes I do - but it seems to be the pre-installed Windows apps that come with the OS.

James7Roberts, Mar 16, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You could uninstall any app that's been installed on G, then reinstall the app to have it install on C.

Brink, Mar 16, 2016
  12. I don't think I can do that as it's only the default Windows 10 apps, not ones I've installed myself.

Also, I can't access the WindowsApps folder, even when I go into advanced security and add my user as administrator. How can I get access?

James7Roberts, Mar 18, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You really don't want to try and access that folder anyways. Doing so could cause more issues with the apps in it.

If you like, you could try doing a repair install to try and fix this without losing anything.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Brink, Mar 18, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    May I ask how you moved WindowsApps to the G Drive? It's default location is in C: Program Files/WindowsApps. It is a protected file that you don't normally have access to just as you don't have access on the G drive. So, how did you move it and do you have a CSetting default locations for libraries :program Files/WindowsApps?

essenbe, Mar 18, 2016
  15. Brink, thanks for the suggestion but I won't bother doing a repair. It doesn't really matter if it stays on G:, but it'd just be nicer to be on C:.

essenbe, I have no idea how I moved the folder, and I certainly don't remember doing it intentionally.

No, there is no WindowsApps folder on the C: drive.

James7Roberts, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting default locations for libraries - Similar Threads - Setting default locations

2. set your default save location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    set your default save location.: We couldn’t set your default save location.The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit.The error code is 0x80070005, in case you need it.I have tried a lot of things but nothing will work I'm trying to download some Xbox games. but it wont work on my...
  3. set your default save location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    set your default save location.: We couldn’t set your default save location.The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit.The error code is 0x80070005, in case you need it.I have tried a lot of things but nothing will work I'm trying to download some Xbox games. but it wont work on my...
  4. Cannot set default save location.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot set default save location.: I tried to innstall forza 4 from xbox app on windows 10 on my G: drive and it said that i had to change the default save location for games so i press it and chose the G: drive for apps and it said i had to delete other apps so i pressed yes. i then said that i cant set my...
  5. How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If Windows Library folders are not opening correctly, you can restore the default location of Library folders in Windows 10 with the help of this […] This article How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  6. Default Library location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Library location: How do I restore the libraries to their default location. I have tried bringing up properties on the default library folder and changing location to the default but it says it can't continue because the destination location already gas a folder by that name. Why doesn't it...
  7. How to set default save locations

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set default save locations: How to set oe change default save locations MS Win 10 e.g. Pictures & Documents https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-default-save-locations/33862145-e205-4325-baa6-eab1f26c22b6
  8. Setting default save location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting default save location?: I have a friend who is asking me for some help with her computer. It's a fairly basic issue but I'm afraid I don't know the answer so I thought I'd try here. Some of her programs are saving to OneDrive, otherwise known as The Cloud. She strongly prefers to save to her own...
  9. Restore Default Settings of Library in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Default Settings of Library in Windows 10: How to: Restore Default Settings of Library in Windows 10 How to Restore Default Settings of Library in Windows 10 [img] Information default save location and public save location for the library. This tutorial will show you how to completely restore the default...
  10. Set Save Location for Library in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Save Location for Library in Windows 10: How to: Set Save Location for Library in Windows 10 How to Set Default and Public Save Location of Library in Windows 10 [img] Information Libraries gather folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one place. You can include folders and...