Windows 10: Setting up two Windows 10 accounts with same Microsoft account

Discus and support Setting up two Windows 10 accounts with same Microsoft account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, is it possible to have two Windows 10 accounts linked to the same Microsoft account? I have two accounts - one of them is linked to my Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dEhiN83, Mar 28, 2020.

1. dEhiN83 Win User

Setting up two Windows 10 accounts with same Microsoft account

Hi, is it possible to have two Windows 10 accounts linked to the same Microsoft account? I have two accounts - one of them is linked to my Microsoft account but the other I created as a local account to separate out stuff I do for work dev stuff and my normal account which I use for everything else. But now I would like to link my "dev" account to my Microsoft account.

For a quick background, I'm taking some online CS courses so I decided to create a local admin account just for programming and stuff related to those courses. I recently started some work involved with teaching coding to kids. As much as possible I'd like to use the same "dev" account for work, and I'm generally able to. Except that due to COVID and everything being done virtually and online, some of the activities my work is doing is going to involve Minecraft for Windows 10 and teaching modding. I installed Minecraft for Win 10 on my laptop, but can't sign in from my local account. I can only sign in by switching to my linked Microsoft account. While it's not a big deal, from a workflow point of view, I would rather use my dev/work/local account for teaching coding, including Minecraft modding.

But when I go to settings in my local account and try to sign into my Microsoft account, it says there's already an account on the computer with that Microsoft account. Is there any way I can bypass this?

Thanks in advance.

:)

dEhiN83, Mar 28, 2020
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Setting up two Windows 10 accounts with same Microsoft account :(

Zakin, Mar 28, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Thema:

1. Setting up two Windows 10 accounts with same Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Setting accounts same

2. Two microsoft accounts with same password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two microsoft accounts with same password: I accidently made another Microsoft account when trying to log into mine for Minecraft, it uses the same email and password and now I cannot get into the original. How do I log into the previous account?...
  3. Two microsoft accounts with same password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two microsoft accounts with same password: I accidently made another Microsoft account when trying to log into mine for Minecraft, it uses the same email and password and now I cannot get into the original. How do I log into the previous account?...
  4. Two microsoft accounts with same password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Two microsoft accounts same email?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two microsoft accounts same email?: Hello,We recently got the Xbox Series X and when I tried to log in, I used my email, the same as I have always done, and it logged me in, but with a completely new account.We previously had the Xbox One. When my dad logged into the box series x, he had all of his rewards and...
  6. Two microsoft accounts same email?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two microsoft accounts same email?: Hello,We recently got the Xbox Series X and when I tried to log in, I used my email, the same as I have always done, and it logged me in, but with a completely new account.We previously had the Xbox One. When my dad logged into the box series x, he had all of his rewards and...
  7. Two of the same accounts

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Two of the same accounts: I have both the same accounts on Microsoft store and it wont let me login so i cant play or login into Microsoft store anyone know how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-of-the-same-accounts/dba53fbd-9637-4767-b909-345e1265e519
  8. Two same Microsoft account in Window 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Two same Microsoft account in Window 10: At first, my Microsoft account profile picture is just default blank so I tried login in with a local account then sign back-in with a Microsoft account. then Still wasn't working then I used to create your picture and browsed one. then I realised there's another user profile...
  9. Setting two different passwords for same account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting two different passwords for same account?: I'm not sure what it's actually called, but the best I can describe it is that there is one profile, and one password will open it with all the files and apps, but a different password will open it with restricted access (can only see/access certain files and apps). Is this...
  10. How to separate two accounts associated with the same Microsoft account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to separate two accounts associated with the same Microsoft account: I don’t know how it happened but my son’s email account is now linked to my Microsoft account. In other words, we have two email accounts linked to the same Microsoft accounts. I want to separate our accounts. I tried to create another account for him but it is impossible...