Windows 10: Settings Launch Fails in Windows 10

Discus and support Settings Launch Fails in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 version 10.0.17134 Build 17134. Today after encountering a problem that seemed to impact my computers boot process (took over 15... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JFelton, Apr 24, 2019.

1. JFelton Win User

Settings Launch Fails in Windows 10

I am using Windows 10 version 10.0.17134 Build 17134. Today after encountering a problem that seemed to impact my computers boot process (took over 15 minutes to log in and would not accept my PIN), I am no longer able to access the settings app. I have not found any troubleshooting that is more recent than 2016 is a long time ago and seems to indicate that I have to create a new account and then go through a tedious process to try to transfer data from the old to the new. This can't possibly be the best Microsoft can do to have the operating system be able to utilize the systems app which is a basic function of using the OS, is it?

Please advise as to the current fix for this issue.

:)

JFelton, Apr 24, 2019

2. Windows 10 fails to update

Thanks,

The Users list compared to the Profile list you posted earlier tell me there is not an issue with Users (a known issue where there is a profile in the list, but not actual User folder).

The error code suggests corruption in the CBS manifest:
    Try these steps one at time until the issue is resolved or you run out of steps.

Is Windows activated?
    No? Activate Windows 10

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following line
    reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /s
    If DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

launch regedit
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    change the value of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess to 0
    exit regedit
    exit Command Prompt

Launch Windows Update

Try the next suggestion if the issue is not resolved.

Restore health to the component store
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
    Step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    - OR -
    Step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    Check System Files
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Read the front material, then
    follow >> OPTION THREE <<
    To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If there are integrity issues reported on screen,
    Follow the instructions in >> OPTION FIVE <<
    To View Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

If there are no integrity errors, Launch Windows Update

Paste the following line into the address bar of File Explorer
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\TroubleshootingLaunch System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
    Press Advanced
    Select Run as administrator
    Press Next

Launch Windows Update

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    Download and run MS Windows Update diagnostic cab (direct download)

Launch Windows Update

Manually reset Windows Updates via batch file

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Launch Windows Update

Slartybart, Apr 24, 2019
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Apr 24, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Settings Launch Fails in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Settings Launch Fails

2. Windows 10 setup file fails to launch

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 setup file fails to launch: Upgrading from Win 7 Pro to Win 10, 64-bit. Downloaded to upgrade file but Setup app won't run. Error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-setup-file-fails-to-launch/97e7c6c0-57a4-4276-96a5-f3d609288229
  3. Windows 10 setup file fails to launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 setup file fails to launch: Upgrading from Win 7 Pro to Win 10, 64-bit. Downloaded to upgrade file but Setup app won't run. Error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-setup-file-fails-to-launch/97e7c6c0-57a4-4276-96a5-f3d609288229
  4. Issue with windows 10 settings not launching

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue with windows 10 settings not launching: Whenever I try to launch windows settings it crashes. I've tried a few different fixes such as windows troubleshooting. using Run also doesn't work and provides this error: [ATTACH] Any help would be a appreciated!...
  5. windows 10 settings wont launch

windows 10 settings wont launch: I can't open settings in windows 10 nor can I set up another account. How do I add another user account? Nothing happens when I click on the add user tab. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-settings-wont-launch/e747d3b3-770f-46ca-98f3-4c042ada21b9
  6. Color note for Windows 10 Fails to launch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Color note for Windows 10 Fails to launch: ColorNote for Windows 10 has recently failed to launch! What is the fix please? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/color-note-for-windows-10-fails-to-launch/9042538a-0728-4ee8-b78d-1fa5078f0a54
  7. Settings will not launch. Windows 10.

Settings will not launch. Windows 10.: Following my last update of Windows 10, I can no longer launch Settings. The app appears for about a second, as if it's in process of opening, and then it just disappears. I see that others have had this issue back in 2015 and 2016 and various fixes were suggested. I've...
  8. settings don't launch, or launches the Store instead in Windows 10

settings don't launch, or launches the Store instead in Windows 10: I'm trying to get assistance with getting my settings to launch for more than 5 seconds. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-dont-launch-or-launches-the-store-instead/27a71956-c9a0-454d-bd20-33a066797f8f
  9. Settings won't launch in Windows 10

Settings won't launch in Windows 10: Everytime I open Settings in Windows 10 it closes up immediately before I can make any adjustments (does not matter if I reboot). I reloaded a "Settings" from a response to another questions labelled "Settings won't launch or Microsoft Store opens" but I can't find it now....
  10. windows 10 setting not launching

windows 10 setting not launching: windows 10 setting not launching https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-setting-not-launching/91d47773-2826-41fd-9335-dc736608a01f