Windows 10: Some pictures saved onto desktop not showing on desktop

Discus and support Some pictures saved onto desktop not showing on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, need some help please. My problem: Using the Windows Snipping Tool, I save a screen shot as jpg file on my desktop. However, after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by procuru, Jul 8, 2016.

1. procuru Win User

Some pictures saved onto desktop not showing on desktop

Hello all, need some help please.

My problem:

Using the Windows Snipping Tool, I save a screen shot as jpg file on my desktop.
    However, after saving, the jpg file does not show on desktop, although it DID in fact save it on desktop because I see it through file explorer.
    This happens to jpg pictures and not documents such as pdf, etc.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.

My PC:
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Dell XPS 8900 desktop
    Core-i7 6700K 4.0 GHz
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    2TB 7200 RPM SATA HD + 256GB SSD
    2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Graphics

:)

procuru, Jul 8, 2016
  2. ETLXQLH Win User

Why are pictures I download showing up on my desktop and some pictures I don't know who they are being saved on my computer?

Why are pictures I download showing up on my desktop and some pictures I don't know who they are being saved on my computer?

ETLXQLH, Jul 8, 2016
  3. Bairn_966 Win User
    Remove photo from welcome screen startup

I now have been able make a picture of the Desktop showing the picture and saved in the PC page. What is now required to paste picture to your web site? This symbol originally was accidently put in Desktop screen when Right clicked, and "Set as Desktop
    background".

Bairn_966, Jul 8, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

Just out of curosity, have you tried to save these pictures to a file instead of the desktop? What happens then?

Rocky, Jul 8, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
  6. procuru Win User
    Works just fine when I save to a file/folder.

procuru, Jul 8, 2016
  7. procuru Win User
    I just checked and Tablet mode was and is off.
    "Show desktop icons" was already checked on. But interestingly, I clicked it off and then back on, and the jpg files appeared on desktop. I also tried the refresh button and this also was able to reveal it on desktop.

But the problem still persists, it would be cumbersome to click "refresh" every time I save a pic to desktop.

procuru, Jul 9, 2016
  8. procuru Win User

Arc

So your comments helped me identify the problem: my desktop is not refreshing automatically. This appears to be a common problem from Windows 7.

When I googled for a solution, there were many people suggesting I edit the registry, changing "dontrefresh" 1 to 0:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/deskto...ically-windows

However, when I looked for "dontrefresh", it does not exist. What next?

procuru, Jul 9, 2016
  9. ARC
    Arc Win User
  10. procuru Win User
    Just completed both smoothly, but still no luck.
    Something also interesting I just discovered-- every time I restart the computer, pictures DO show up on desktop for the first one or two pictures, but from the third onward it fails.

procuru, Jul 9, 2016
  11. TheRene Win User
    Could it be a refresh problem? What happens if you save a picture to the desktop an press F5 (refresh) on the desktop?

Edit: sorry, just realised that you have already posted about this, but the file does not show even after refreshing the desktop?

TheRene, Jul 9, 2016
  12. procuru Win User
    Yea, when I refresh the jpg file shows itself from hidden, each and every time.

procuru, Jul 9, 2016
  13. TheRene Win User

I have had the same problem on Windows 8, and this worked for me. Please see below for how to create the key, since you do not see it. I also recomend backing up any existing registry entries, before editing.
    Explorer does not refresh automatically

If you find that you need to frequently refresh the desktop, you can follow these steps to try and fix the problem.

Some pictures saved onto desktop not showing on desktop [​IMG]

Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID
    Here right-click and search for dontrefresh. If you find it, and if it has a value set to 1, change its value to 0.

If you do not see it, create it and give it a value 0.

TheRene, Jul 9, 2016
  14. TheRene Win User
    I thought it might be helpful with a bit more detailed instruction of how to create the key.

Find the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID

1. Right click on CLSID and choose "New" -> "Key".
    2. Rename the "New Key#1" to "Instance".
    3. Then to the right, right click and select "New" -> "DWORD (32-bit) Value"
    4. Rename "New Value #1" to "DontRefresh".

Check that "DontRefresh is set to "0".

TheRene, Jul 9, 2016
  15. Check in safe mode with networking and try to save file on desktop. It might be an issue with malware. If the problem persists in smwn run superantispyware pro and mbam.

pranay1988, Jul 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Some pictures saved onto desktop not showing on desktop - Similar Threads - pictures saved onto

2. Some icons not showing on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some icons not showing on desktop: When I use Snipping Tool to take a partial screen shot, I like to save the file on to the desktop because I'm using them temporarily. After saving, there's no icon for it on the desktop. If I use File Explorer to view the desktop folder, the file is there, but still no icon...
  3. Some icons not showing on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some icons not showing on desktop: When I use Snipping Tool to take a partial screen shot, I like to save the file on to the desktop because I'm using them temporarily. After saving, there's no icon for it on the desktop. If I use File Explorer to view the desktop folder, the file is there, but still no icon...
  4. Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...: Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in File Explorer. This may have started after I reverted back to windows 10 from Windows 11. Let me be clear: most icons do show on the desktop, and the ones that don't show up in one...
  5. Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...

Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...: Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in File Explorer. This may have started after I reverted back to windows 10 from Windows 11. Let me be clear: most icons do show on the desktop, and the ones that don't show up in one...
  6. Some Desktop icons not showing on the desktop but they do show in the Desktop folder in...

7. Desktop icons not showing as the picture

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons not showing as the picture: I turned on this morning to find that my desktop is populated with icons or thumbnails or whatever they are called and I want them to show as the picture not just some blank square. I have Googled it but cannot find any answers any ideas greatly appreciated see pic solved I...
  8. Virtual Desktop -- Show this window on SOME desktops

Virtual Desktop -- Show this window on SOME desktops: I know how to show a window in all desktops when using virtual desktops, but what I want is to show a window in SOME virtual desktops. EX: I want desktop 1 to be my web browser. I want desktop 2 and 3 to be a powerpoint presentation. EX: I want desktop 1 to be presenter...
  9. saving picture to desktop from paint

saving picture to desktop from paint: What does it mean in Paint when it says I will lose any transparency if I save? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saving-picture-to-desktop-from-paint/13c880f9-b5b5-430c-83c6-f477e24ba15d
  10. Desktop picture not showing today

Desktop picture not showing today: Somehow during my tweaking of win10 to match my preferred setup (so it's just like all the previous windows versions in other words), I added the uber-admin account to the login screen. No clue how it got there, but it was, and it didn't need to be - I'm the only user of this...