Windows 10: Sorting out my users/folders

Discus and support Sorting out my users/folders in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am totally new to Windows until I got Windows 10 maybe 1 month ago. I've done quite some research on my problem. But still confused. When I got my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by stub, Oct 29, 2017.

1. stub Win User

Sorting out my users/folders

I am totally new to Windows until I got Windows 10 maybe 1 month ago. I've done quite some research on my problem. But still confused.

When I got my new computer, it had Windows 10 Pro installed. There was 1 user, Administrator, which goes to the folder \Users\x. I have successfully changed the name to something more appropriate, my name, and I'm using this user to login to microsoft.com.

What I want to do is rename the directory \Users\x to \Users\MyName. I understand that I cannot just rename this folder, as it would probably lead to a broken system, and I firstly need to create another Administrator Account. Which I've done. So I now have 2 administrator accounts basically with the 1st Administrator being my name which logs into with Microsoft.com and uses folder \Users\x, and the 2nd Administrator being a short version of my name using \Users\MyShortName, which doesn't login to Microsoft.com

But from there I get confused. I still need to rename \Users\x which I'm not supposed to do. Is this now as simple as copying everything under \Users\x to \Users\MyShortName ,making this my microsoft account and deleting \Users\x and Adminstrator 1. Also can I use the same microsoft login for Administrator 2 as I have done for Administrator 1? Should/Can I do this before I delete Administrator 1?

After I've done all this. I intent to create a normal account which I would use on a daily basis. Is this a good idea? Or should I stick with using my Administrator Account all the time. With secure password of course. I still have quite a long way to go in setting up Windows 10 as I would like, including the files structure. I would say I have quite a lot of experience with computers (I can build my own desktop computer for example), but no experience at all with Windows.

Any answers, comments, and other ideas are welcome.

:)

2. backup and restore

Hi there,

Let's sort this out. Try adding a Full control permission to WindowsImageBackup folder for "CREATOR OWNER" user that exists in a list of user names, under Security tab in
    Properties dialog box for that folder.

Regards.

Arnold Fra, Oct 29, 2017
  3. NS_Bob Win User
    Why two Document, Music, Picture and Video folders, one in This PC and other in Users/hamil/??

Hi Denis,

So the Document, Music, Pictures and Video folders under This PC are really only a link to where the actual folders and files are located under Users/hamil/, correct? I presently have a Documents folder within my Documents folder under Users/hamil and content
    in both so will have to sort that out.

The path to the This PC/Documents folder is now directed to users/hamil/OneDrive/ and won't open as I have deleted the OneDrive Folder under users/hamil/ and I can't seem to find a way to redirect it to just users/hamil/. Any suggestions?

Thanks again, Bob

NS_Bob, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 29, 2017
  5. stub Win User
    I'm following those instructions. I've got down to #11. When I right click on the folder named "x" there is no rename. I'm stuck.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Just to verify, are you signed out of the account you want to rename its profile folder, and signed in to another administrator account?

Brink, Oct 29, 2017
  7. stub Win User
    Yep. I thought that too. So I checked and I was logged in as Administrator 2. But something didn't look right. So I set everything back to original, and rebooted. Logged in as Administrator 2. The only difference between Adminstrator 1 & 2 as far as I can tell is that Admin 2 is a Local Account.

So I tried again. This time at #11 there was a Rename option. But it would not accept my input saying that I needed Administrator permissions (WTF I am Administrator 2), and when I tried to continue, I was told the folder was in use by another user. I don't know if it is material, but the very first time I tried this, it wouldn't let me change the name of this folder "x", and when I checked, the \Users\newname folder was created and empty. (both x and the new name folders were present). So I deleted the new name. Would that deleted folder still have permissions somewhere? And on checking, the folder had not been created. So I cannot understand why this Administrator 1 folder "x" was in use by another program.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 29, 2017
  9. mrgeek Win User
    "Is this now as simple as copying everything under \Users\x to \Users\MyShortName ,making this my microsoft account and deleting \Users\x and Adminstrator 1."

Yes, I've dome this a few times for several people. 'x' is using your MS account so can't be used for 'MyShortName' until it is deleted. Make 'MyShortName' a Local account with admin privs and remember the password !
    Copy all the folder contents under This PC, like Music, Pictures, etc from 'x' to the corresponding folders in 'MyShortName'. Double check that all files you want to keep have been moved and/or backed up.
    Use Run command (Win+R) netplwiz to see the users list and delete the 'x' account (double check that the Local account is an admin acct here). Reboot and C:/Users should only have your 'MyShortName' listed.
    Go to All settings/Accounts/Your info and use the 'Sign in with MS account instead' option to complete conversion to 'MyShortName' with a MS sign-in instead of the Local. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Oct 30, 2017
  10. Do you have to expose hidden files to copy the ones down the Appdata path to get things like profiles for Firefox or other app related data.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 30, 2017
  11. stub Win User
    Option 1 says both Administrator 1 and Administrator 2 are both Administrator Accounts.

I am definitely logged in as Administrator 2 when trying to rename the Administrator 1 folder name.

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 30, 2017
  13. stub Win User

This question was posed, after I've managed to create Users\MyShortName folder. This was a hypothetical question at that time because I could not do this from following the instructions. And this is my current problem. What you are saying is I will NEVER be able to do this until Adminstrator 1 (Users\x) is changed to a Local Account, and then I should be able to complete the instructions I've been following?

So my question/proposal: Can I make Administrator 2 (Users\MyFullName) a Microsoft Account by using the same email address as I'm using for Adminstrator 1 on Microsoft. Will it inherit all the privileges and settings of Administrator 1? Then change Adminstrator 1 to a Local Account (by deleting it's login to Microsoft? Is that easy to do?). Which should then enable me to complete the instructions I've been following changing Users\x to Users\MyShortName in File Explorer. I'm really cautious, that I don't want to lose any settings/privileges already set/given to my Administrator 1 (Users\x). I want them to be inherited by Users\MyShortName Admistrator 1 Account. Hence the simple change of folder name from Users\x to Users\MyShortName.

14. stub Win User
    This is exactly a part of my concern. I don't want to do anything (because I'm completely new with Windows), which might lose data or settings.

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The method I posted should be easier and safer.

Brink, Oct 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Sorting out my users/folders - Similar Threads - Sorting users folders

2. Pictures in gallery folder not sorting out by date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pictures in gallery folder not sorting out by date: Hi,On Gallery folder pictures are sort out by name, when they should be by date, and i do not have the right pane with years like in the app Photos....
  3. Pictures in gallery folder not sorting out by date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pictures in gallery folder not sorting out by date: Hi,On Gallery folder pictures are sort out by name, when they should be by date, and i do not have the right pane with years like in the app Photos....
  4. Sort by folder icons?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort by folder icons?: So, silly question.Can you sort by folder icons?Why?Dropbox recently disabled my account and they allow you to store files online or offline. The online files have an icon with a grey x over them.I had a local storage of Dropbox files but there are online and offline files...
  5. Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer: Edition Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 22H2Installed on ‎24-‎09-‎2022OS build 22621.521Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0Ever since I updated to 22H2, the folder/file sort option is greyed out. It is greyed out only for "Home Earlier quick...
  6. Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder/File sort button greyed out in explorer: Edition Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 22H2Installed on ‎24-‎09-‎2022OS build 22621.521Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0Ever since I updated to 22H2, the folder/file sort option is greyed out. It is greyed out only for "Home Earlier quick...
  7. Sorting folders and the sub folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorting folders and the sub folders: Hello. I have a huge music archive and recently had to format and clean install my windows 10, meanwhile I had my archive in my HDD. Now the problem is, my song folder had around 1200~ albums in it, every album in that main folder was ordered by Date and inside every album it...
  8. Help with folder "sorting".

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with folder "sorting".: Basically I have this pictures folder that has many sub-folders. I want to have this whole folder with the sub-folders "Sorted by date. (Ascending)" I tried to go into View>Folder Settings>View and apply to all, but that just applies it to my whole computer. I want it just...
  9. Sort FOLDERS

Sort FOLDERS: Hi everyone !!! a very good day to U. so I wanted to sort out my files and folders, where I found out that there is no way to sort my FOLDERS(!). with files like pics or docs it was very easy.I even added tags to some of my pics so that i can sort them according to my...
  10. Locked out of my own Users folder in homegroup

Locked out of my own Users folder in homegroup: Hi, I upgraded this laptop to windows 10 Education from win 7. I have a desktop PC running win 7 Pro. I had a Homegroup set up which was working fine and I could send files back and forth. After the upgrade I simply joined the Homegroup again by typing in the Homegroup...