Windows 10: Start Menu is not working

Discus and support Start Menu is not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey! I had been using the Windows 10 start menu since yesterday but now some hour ago it stopped completely working and I can't access my calendar,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Leia, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Leia Win User

Start Menu is not working

Hey!

I had been using the Windows 10 start menu since yesterday but now some hour ago it stopped completely working and I can't access my calendar, search bar or Cortana or click on anything on it. The only thing I can do is right click. I have tried to figure out how to get the Windows 10 update window up to see if there is any new update but without having access to the start menu I have no idea how I can do that.

Would anyone have any idea how to solve it, so I can get the start menu to function again? *Smile

:)

Leia, Aug 7, 2015

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 7, 2015
  3. TW Burger Win User
    Start Menu is not working (Not responding/Critical Errors)

I cannot help but notice that the fix for a start button not working involves using the start button?! Commands can be run from the task manager File menu. Ctrl-Alt-Del to select Task Manager from the screen menu.

TW Burger, Aug 7, 2015
  4. LarryWind Win User

Try this: Unlock the Taskbar and drag it up or left/right, see if works.

LarryWind, Aug 8, 2015
  5. Leia Win User
    Hi Larry,

I tried and unlocked it, also dragged it up left / right without any results. Start menu still not working, would anyone know how I can get the Windows Update window up through command line?

Leia, Aug 8, 2015
  6. paulsalter, Aug 8, 2015
  7. Leia Win User
    Thanks Paul for the reply, finally I got the updater up and running but there was no updates, I thought there would be any new update that would solve my start menu problem. Paul would you know any solution cause I have been having a problem with my start menu as I have not been able to open anything for several days except my folders. I can't open the Windows menu, search Icon and I can't press on Wifi nor the battery / sound Icon, would anyone have any idea? *Rolleyes

Leia, Aug 9, 2015
  8. Tomerello Win User

Have you turned off UAC?
    You can find the settings here: C:\Windows\System32\UserAccountControlSettings.exe
    Try to set it to default and restart your computer, also make sure your not using the built in admin account.

Tomerello, Aug 9, 2015
  9. kenC Win User
    kenC, Aug 9, 2015
  10. cab4word Win User
    We too are haveing this problem besides what leia listed you cant shut down the desktop ether. What are we too do

cab4word, Aug 9, 2015
  11. Leia Win User
    Hi KenC,

I tried throwing the switches on and off from off to on and from on to off but that didn't work either as you mentioned in your earlier article, so start menu still not working for me *Confused

12. can you right click the start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)

if that works, from the box that comes up enter

sfc /scannow

it will take a while to run, but will make sure the system files are ok

paulsalter, Aug 9, 2015
  13. Leia Win User

Hi Paul, I just did the sfc /scannow and received the following message: WINDOWS RESOURCE PROTECTION found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log windir/logs/CBS/CBS.log for example C:/Windows/logs/CBS/CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not available in offline servicing scenarios.

14. ok, if you go back to the same admin prompt and now run this

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

more details of it here
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...-10-image.html

this is another one that will take a while, hopefully comes back and says it found errors and fixed them

after that finishes, then try the
    sfc /scannow again

this time it should work

paulsalter, Aug 9, 2015
  15. Good Luck *Smile

when running the DISM, it might look like its hung at 20%, it hasn't, just takes a long time

paulsalter, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Start Menu is not working - Similar Threads - Start Menu working

2. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not working: I ran startmenu.diagcab and it said:Issues foundRequired applications are not installed correctly.Required applications are not installed correctly."Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost" and "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana" applications need to be installed correctly.Not...
  3. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not working: Hello ,I'm using asus zenbook 14 intel i5 11 gen.And today I upgraded to windows 11 .Everything is working fine but the start menu windows menu is not working, Can someone please help me to fix this problem. Thankyou...
  4. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: My computer froze and I was able to finally get it rebooted. After I got it back up then I cursor over the Start icon and it turns blue but when I click on it nothing happens. Also, when I click on taskbar items I get a window showing "explorer.exe' and "Class not...
  5. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu not working: So i let my PC install updates last night and I went to sleep. Today when i turned it on again, the start button stopped working. Taskbar works fine, i can still use the windows key in shortcut, just the start menu not wanting to open. Any suggesstions on what to do? I...
  6. start menu not working

start menu not working: On window updation on 2/2/2020 the start menu and microsoft edge not working. Try to fix using trobleshoot and other ways. please suggest the method for rectification or send patch file for it...
  7. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: Start menu isn't working on my new GF62Vr 7rf, it shows the blue loading icon for half a second but nothing opens, I've tried so many solutions. Also it's an msi laptop....
  8. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working: The Windows 10 start menu has stopped working. If I click on the Start button, nothing happens. I did a repair install and that corrected the problem for a few days. The problem has returned. No start menu. All updates have been installed. Does anyone have a fix for this? 4020
  9. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working: Why not try to use the inbuilt start menu troubleshooter or uninstall some third-party software if necessary in Control Panel?
  10. Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Not Working: Hey all, so i've been struggling for the last few hours after a re-install of windows 10 - I had been encoutnering issues with another application so I decided to just blow my OS and start from scratch. I had been running on that OS for 5 months without any issue. So I...