Windows 10: Switch Microsoft Account and Keep Session Data

Discus and support Switch Microsoft Account and Keep Session Data in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello I have an old PC which i switched to Windows 10 two or three years ago and my session became a local account. But some time ago, a family... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JulesRx, Jan 30, 2019.

1. JulesRx Win User

Switch Microsoft Account and Keep Session Data

Hello

I have an old PC which i switched to Windows 10 two or three years ago and my session became a local account.

But some time ago, a family member accidentally converted my local account to a Microsoft account and my PC is now linked to his account.

I want to change this but i did not found a way to do it without formatting. So I'd like to do one of the following :

• convert the Microsoft account back to a local account
    • switch the Microsoft account without loosing any session data

If there is a way to do one of them, i'd like to know.

Thanks for the help.

Jules

:)

JulesRx, Jan 30, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jan 30, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

Thema:

1. Switch Microsoft Account and Keep Session Data - Similar Threads - Switch Microsoft Account

2. Windows 11 Account Sessions and Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Account Sessions and Microsoft Account: Now that I am directed to use a Microsoft AC with W11 What happens to the people who run both an Admin AC and a Standard User AC on their PC for greater security?? It appears that only 1 session can be registered to the Microsoft AC. Is it possible to allow both sessions to...
  3. Windows 11 Account Sessions and Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Account Sessions and Microsoft Account: Now that I am directed to use a Microsoft AC with W11 What happens to the people who run both an Admin AC and a Standard User AC on their PC for greater security?? It appears that only 1 session can be registered to the Microsoft AC. Is it possible to allow both sessions to...
  4. switching microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching microsoft accounts: I want to give my old laptop to my brother. I just want to ask if it's ok to do clean install windows 10 and add his microsoft account instead? Or is there easier way?...
  5. switching microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    switching microsoft accounts: I want to give my old laptop to my brother. I just want to ask if it's ok to do clean install windows 10 and add his microsoft account instead? Or is there easier way?...
  6. Will switching my microsoft account to a local account result in data loss? Will it change...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will switching my microsoft account to a local account result in data loss? Will it change...: I wanted to switch my account to a local account but I don't know if doing so will result in any data loss. I don't use any Windows apps ex: microsoft word but will it result in any other data loss?...
  7. Will switching my microsoft account to a local account result in data loss? Will it change...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will switching my microsoft account to a local account result in data loss? Will it change...: I wanted to switch my account to a local account but I don't know if doing so will result in any data loss. I don't use any Windows apps ex: microsoft word but will it result in any other data loss?...
  8. Will switching my microsoft account to a local account result in data loss? Will it change...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  9. Microsoft Account Switch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Account Switch: Hello everyone, I have a new client who uses Windows 10 at their office. We discovered a PC that was signed into an account which uses the email of a previous employee that no longer works at the office and had been signed in for quite some time. I'd like to replace the...
  10. Switching Microsoft Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Switching Microsoft Accounts: My daughter got her new HP Stream today and I remembered not to attach it to the WiFi network prior to setting up her local account. All that went well... But then I went to switch it out of "S Mode", which meant signing into the Microsoft store. The only account I knew was...