Windows 10: Temporary files won't delete

Discus and support Temporary files won't delete in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Settings -> System -> Storage -> c:/ -> Temporary Files will not delete. I have 56gigs of temp files that I can't touch/find/remove. The delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Nerioth, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Nerioth Win User

Temporary files won't delete

Settings -> System -> Storage -> c:/ -> Temporary Files will not delete.

I have 56gigs of temp files that I can't touch/find/remove. The delete temporary files will not work to clear this. I've tried various Ccleaner and disk clean up.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Nerioth, Dec 14, 2015

2. Low disk space.

My Temporary Files Won't Delete

I have used the disk cleanup tool many times but it never seems to clean up very much space. I found that a lot of space is taken up by temporary files. I need the space so I can work without being bugged by the windows update assistant.
    I went to Settings-System-(CTemporary files won't delete :)-Temporary Files and I deleted the temporary files and come back later to find that they didn't delete.

anguswilliams261002, Dec 14, 2015
  3. Bill Smithers, Dec 14, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

I was involved in a discussion of exactly the same matter in another forum over 2 months ago. God knows how long that problem since exists.
    We tried to delete by clicking at the button under it, we tried Ccleaner, built-in disk cleanup, and TFC by Oldtimer, none seemed to be able to delete the temp files.
    I decided it was the dump app not registering the deletion and moved on. Of course I am no pundit and my conclusion has no merit.

davidhk, Dec 14, 2015
  5. Nerioth Win User
    I agree, I think it started with the Beta to Fable Legends. Which I deleted and it added even more to the temp files when I did. I'm at the point where I think I might just end up reformatting the whole drive and doing a fresh install of windows 10, though will have to do some research on it first. It's the point that I can't even update windows anymore because the drive is too full with stuff that isn't there.

Nerioth, Dec 14, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    If you download and run Treesize free as administrator it will tell you what/where these files are. Please post back the full directory paths of the biggest ones.

Depending on the results there are different ways of deleting them but disk cleanup is a good start if you haven't done that yet.

7. Nerioth Win User
    Ix07 Thanks a lot, I was able to delete one 27.5 gig file, but the other one is located in
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\5e6b928b080834a762a7a42c41f05186
    and it won't let me delete it, since it says it's open in application information.

Nerioth, Dec 14, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

How big is it? Even a whole windows ISO is only about 3GB so you shouldn't have anything huge in there.

You can clear everything in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ (you lose the ability to roll back a patch but that isn't important as Windows deletes things eventually anyway.).

It shouldn't be locked unless you are actually half way through installing an upgrade. If it is still locked in say 30 minutes and you want to delete is I would try these in this order:

1. Boot into safe mode and try to delete it.

2. Open a command prompt at boot and enter the following (be careful - just enter the bit in red exactly as it is). Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] X:\Windows\system32>C: C:\>pushd "c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" && (rd /s /q "c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" 2>nul & popd) C:\>exit[/quote] There are various third party tools (like unlocker) to do the same but I couldn't find a link that wasn't full of malware so I'd not bother. It is safer to use Windows tools and easy enough as long as you are careful and don't delete the wrong thing.

9. Nerioth Win User
    It's 27.5 GB BIT23DD.tmp It's located in the download folder. I also restarted my machine to try to delete it, but still said I couldn't do it. About to head to bed, but I'll try doing it in safe mode tomorrow.

Nerioth, Dec 14, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    If that doesn't work try the second option in post #6 - it definitely will work as nothing can lock it if windows isn't running.

There is no way you should have a 27GB temp file in SoftwareDistribution.

Good luck - let us know how it goes....

11. topgundcp Win User
    All files under: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ can be deleted safely unless it is currently being installed. Those are Windows Updates files downloaded and already installed in your PC. Personally, I delete the content of this folder quite often.

You should be able to delete the content of this folder unless your HD is corrupted. Run chkdsk then try to delete again. Here's mine:

Temporary files won't delete [​IMG]

In addition. I also use: TFC Temporary file removal tool . Run as Admin, this tool will kill all processes that lock some of the temp files and cannot be deleted in a normal way. After running it, sign out and sign back in.

topgundcp, Dec 14, 2015
  12. Nerioth Win User
    Well when I came back this morning, there was another file of the 27 gigs. Ran the TFC, and was able to delete both, hopefully they stay gone now. I suspect that it was corrupted while downloading, so kept trying to reinstall.
    I want to thank topgundcp and lx07 for the awesome help.

Nerioth, Dec 14, 2015
  13. Nerioth Win User

Now I got an issue with new files cropping up in download. One of the files is 13.8 gigs and is called BIT6480.tmp this is after I rebooted the system. I suspect it's trying to redownload the file that I deleted.

Nerioth, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Temporary files won't delete - Similar Threads - Temporary files won't

2. 56GB of Temporary internet files, won't delete no matter what.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    56GB of Temporary internet files, won't delete no matter what.: Looking at the storage settings earlier today, i found that my temporary files folder was huge. Most of it is taken up by "Temporary Internet Files", 56.4GBI have tried deleting it several times, and nothing seems to work. It still shows up as 56.4GBHere's what ive tried so...
  3. Deleting temporary files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting temporary files: Hi,I'm tring to delete the temporary files from my computer but after I'm deleting them I see that they keep "geting back"I delete them in some different ways. I see that i have 233MB of temp files and after deleting them i see just a few KB of files.When I'm checking it...
  4. Deleting temporary files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting temporary files: Hi,I'm tring to delete the temporary files from my computer but after I'm deleting them I see that they keep "geting back"I delete them in some different ways. I see that i have 233MB of temp files and after deleting them i see just a few KB of files.When I'm checking it...
  5. Deleting temporary files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. DELETE TEMPORARY FILES

DELETE TEMPORARY FILES: HI I am trying to delete my temporary internet files but cant find them. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-temporary-files/58af60d4-6999-408a-bb1d-66b7301a6d83
  7. Temporary files not deleting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Temporary files not deleting: So I was watching some Netflix when I received a pop-up message from chrome stating that I should delete the temporary cache files from Netflix, so I closed it and headed over to my storage settings and noticed that it was full, I remember having around 50GB free on my m.2...
  8. Deleting temporary files

Deleting temporary files: I have been trying to clear drive space so I can update. I have moved everything I can to a mass storage device and I have only been able to remove a small amount of temp files. I am left with 5GB. I have deleted all my excess mail and now I am stuck. Is there a way to view...
  9. Won't delete temporary files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Won't delete temporary files: My Inspirio 14 laptop currently has 5.74 GB of useless files sitting around in it, but none of the tools to delete them are working. Both Disk Cleanup and the option in the menu at:Settings>System>Storage>This PC>Temporary Files. Disk Cleanup won't even start, even allowing...
  10. Windows 10 won't delete temporary files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 won't delete temporary files: Under settings>disk space>C:>temporary files you can delete temporary files, it says that it's deleting the temporary files and you should come back later for the results. How long does this take? When i'm closing this menu and come back later it's still the same size and it...