Windows 10: This PC refuses to open

Discus and support This PC refuses to open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, first post here for me, I've been using this forum to help me along with my new laptop for learning the basics (my last computer was windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Beardy Fett, Jun 29, 2017.

1. This PC refuses to open

Hi all, first post here for me, I've been using this forum to help me along with my new laptop for learning the basics (my last computer was windows XP!). I've come across an issue I can't find an answer for though. For some reason I can't access the file "this PC". Every time I try, it either does nothing or flashes up as though it's loading the cuts out and I just get my desktop screen. Anyone think of where to start to fix this issue? I don't have the most extensive knowledge of IT but I can follow instruction fairly well! The laptop is an MSI glx 7qf running windows 10. Cheers in advance

AJ

:)

Beardy Fett, Jun 29, 2017

2. After installation KB 3140743 and KB31319907 Windows 10 refuses to open

Windows 10 refuses to open after PC start up , all hardware checks out and can open Windows restore on HP screen, PC is HP all in one

Bill mcaleese, Jun 29, 2017
  3. settings refuses to open

Does it crash when opening from the Start (cog icon) and when searching for "Settings app" in Cortana?

Can you check if the Settings actually closes;

1. Click on Settings even though it will disappear.

2. Right click bottom of screen (taskbar) and select Task Manager. It should open in the Processes tab.

3. See if Settings is displayed in the list of processes.

The common solution provided in the forum is creating a new user account. The steps are here ->

Settings doesn’t launch, or launches the Store instead

Yasshiel Zhang, Jun 29, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

This PC refuses to open

spunk, Jun 29, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, could you clarify that please?

'This PC' isn't a file- it's all of your disks/partitions/folders/files.

1. Where are you trying to access it? - on your desktop? - in file explorer?
    2. Are you left or right clicking on it?
    3. Have you ever been able to access it?
    4. Assuming you could, do you have any idea what might have happened since then?
    (Switched PC off.. installed a program.. received an update.....?)
    @spunk's suggestion of using System Restore is a good one.. but this is only valid
    a. if you ever enabled System Restore (it's off by default in '10)
    b. you need to have restore points available
    c. sometimes System Restore simply doesn't work (if so please report the error number).

Also please advise which build of Win 10 you are using:
    Windows key + R, winver

If none of the above help. please check if the same thing happens in Safe Mode
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    (e.g. SHIFT + left click Restart, and navigate through the prompts).
    Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 29, 2017
  6. Thanks for the quick responses guys. Spunk, cheers but for some reason when I click on command prompt (admin) nothing happens. Unfortunately aso a system restore is out of the question, it's a new laptop so I've not set one up. Dalchina I'll answer best I can: 1. I've tried opening it from file explorer at the side menu 2. Left clicking 3. I've never been able to access it but as it's a new laptop I've never really felt the need til now. Windows 10 build is 14393.1358

Beardy Fett, Jun 29, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    Your Windows 10 build is way out of date. This is the original build of Two Years ago, This may be a new computer for you, but this is not a New Computer, or it would have the most recent version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413) If it is New as you say, take it back to the place you purchased it and exchange it for something else that works.

spunk, Jun 29, 2017
  8. This PC refuses to open

Seems odd that an old OS means I can't access a major part of the computer. As I've been using it for a couple weeks I honestly doubt I'll get any sympathy from the seller. Could this problem be fixed at all or am I urinating in the wind?

Beardy Fett, Jun 30, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    Please use the keyboard for these commands:

1) win + x (simultaneously)
    2) a
    3) alt + y (simultaneously)
    This should open a box with the title Administrative Command Prompt
    For these commands please use copy and paste
    4) sfc /scannow
    5) dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
    6) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    7) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    8) chkdsk /scan
    When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread
    9) perform windows updates and post any failed KB# and error code into the thread

zbook, Jun 30, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    As it's a new PC, I'd take it back if not too inconvenient. You say you've had problems from day 1- so why should you spend time fixing it?
    Windows 10 build is 14393.1358
    That's the previous build almost up to date - it's being maintained by MS and is perfectly valid. The new build came out about 3 months ago (15063). Not unreasonable that devices are being sold with that build.

I'd guess you've more issues than you know about, as your responses showed more.

Meanwhile, try following my last suggestion if no improvement after following zbook's sequence above, just to see what happens.
    Noting
    it will be interesting to see if you can use an admin command prompt following zbook's sequence.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

This PC refuses to open

1. This PC refuses to open - Similar Threads - refuses open

2. Windows 10 settings refusing to open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 settings refusing to open: So I've been facing some issues with my settings these past few weeks, every time I try to open it it just automatically closes, at the start I've had problems with stuff inside settings not workingdata usage not appearing, windows updates not working but now the entire app...
  3. Windows 10 settings refusing to open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 settings refusing to open: So I've been facing some issues with my settings these past few weeks, every time I try to open it it just automatically closes, at the start I've had problems with stuff inside settings not workingdata usage not appearing, windows updates not working but now the entire app...
  4. Windows 10 settings refusing to open

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Roblox refuses to open from Xbox/Microsoft Store why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roblox refuses to open from Xbox/Microsoft Store why?: Whenever I try to open it it'll refuse to open and show a error but when I open through the roblox player it works fine so ik it's a Microsoft issue not a pc issue I even tried resetting the store and repairing it even the app itself so maybe this is happening to everyone? Or...
  6. Roblox refuses to open from Xbox/Microsoft Store why?

Roblox refuses to open from Xbox/Microsoft Store why?: Whenever I try to open it it'll refuse to open and show a error but when I open through the roblox player it works fine so ik it's a Microsoft issue not a pc issue I even tried resetting the store and repairing it even the app itself so maybe this is happening to everyone? Or...
  7. File explorer causes explorer.exe to restart and refuses to open Win11 22H2 Build 22621.2283

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer causes explorer.exe to restart and refuses to open Win11 22H2 Build 22621.2283: File explorer causes explorer.exe to restart and refuses to open I'm running Win11 22H2 Build 22621.2283 and recently did some driver related things that didn't pan out, I've tried clearing the cache and restarting to no effect....
  8. File explorer causes explorer.exe to restart and refuses to open Win11 22H2 Build 22621.2283

File explorer causes explorer.exe to restart and refuses to open Win11 22H2 Build 22621.2283: File explorer causes explorer.exe to restart and refuses to open I'm running Win11 22H2 Build 22621.2283 and recently did some driver related things that didn't pan out, I've tried clearing the cache and restarting to no effect....
  9. Xbox Game Bar refuses to open with shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Game Bar refuses to open with shortcut: This started around a week ago, when I was carelessly messing with regkeys I had found on the internet. "This one trick helps improve FPS", but at the cost of my Game bar not working how it should. I have followed around 5 tutorials, start to finish, when searching "Xbox game...
  10. Xbox Game Bar refuses to open with shortcut

Xbox Game Bar refuses to open with shortcut: This started around a week ago, when I was carelessly messing with regkeys I had found on the internet. "This one trick helps improve FPS", but at the cost of my Game bar not working how it should. I have followed around 5 tutorials, start to finish, when searching "Xbox game...