Windows 10: Transferring Windows 10 Pro from one Laptop to Another

Discus and support Transferring Windows 10 Pro from one Laptop to Another in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a laptop earlier in the year that came with Windows 10 Home, and I bought Windows 10 Pro from the online store and upgraded. I've recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Aaronaxx, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Aaronaxx Win User

Transferring Windows 10 Pro from one Laptop to Another

I purchased a laptop earlier in the year that came with Windows 10 Home, and I bought Windows 10 Pro from the online store and upgraded.

I've recently decided that I need a different laptop, and this one is being sold. I'd like to know if I can return this laptop to Windows 10 Home and reset it, so the new owner gets a clean installation of Windows, and install Windows 10 Pro, on my new laptop, so I don't have to buy Pro again.

Is such a thing possible?

I've read that it is, but when I called Microsoft's technical support, the tech that I spoke with said it was NOT possible.

I'd like to know once and for all if it is possible, and how to do it.

:)

Aaronaxx, Sep 9, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Multiple questions about installing - transfer accounts etc.

According to you, the accounts were Windows built-in admin, a local admin and standard user. None of them needs to be moved.

The built-in admin account, as the name says, will be there when you boot the laptop first time. It is disabled by default, you just need to enable it. For two other accounts, simply create same accounts on laptop.

Attach the HDD to laptop using an external USB enclosure, copy contents of data folders to respective folders on laptop.

You mentioned that the desktop accounts were / are local accounts, not Microsoft accounts. See the options to get Pro here:
    If you can still access Windows on desktop, boot it up, make it a Microsoft account and link license to that MS account. Tutorials:
    When done, see this tutorial. It will show step by step what do on the laptop to transfer desktop license to it: Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

This article is the best I have seen about when a license transfer is possible, and when not:

Kari, Sep 9, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    How to transfer a Windows 10 Pro Upgrade Licence

From the link I quoted:

dalchina, Sep 9, 2019
  4. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Transferring Windows 10 Pro from one Laptop to Another - Similar Threads - Transferring Pro Laptop

2. How to transfer a window 11 pro upgrade from one laptop to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to transfer a window 11 pro upgrade from one laptop to another?: I bought a new laptop and I need to shift my windows 11 pro upgrade to this new laptop. How we can do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-a-window-11-pro-upgrade-from-one/91d6ab7b-6a03-4d1a-98d4-bf8db4d5834b
  3. How to transfer a window 11 pro upgrade from one laptop to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer a window 11 pro upgrade from one laptop to another?: I bought a new laptop and I need to shift my windows 11 pro upgrade to this new laptop. How we can do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-transfer-a-window-11-pro-upgrade-from-one/91d6ab7b-6a03-4d1a-98d4-bf8db4d5834b
  4. Transferring a digital license from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring a digital license from one laptop to another: Hi. I have a question. I had two laptops from different manufacturers. Both were bought pre-installed with Win7 Ultimate and Win7 Home and Certificate of Authority Label with Product Key. Since the purchase, both devices have been consistently updated to Win8 - Win10 Pro and...
  5. Transferring a digital license from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring a digital license from one laptop to another: Hi. I have a question. I had two laptops from different manufacturers. Both were bought pre-installed with Win7 Ultimate and Win7 Home and Certificate of Authority Label with Product Key. Since the purchase, both devices have been consistently updated to Win8 - Win10 Pro and...
  6. Transferring a digital license from one laptop to another

7. Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another: I recently had a problem where I couldnt install windows on a sad i had on my laptop.i was wondering if it's possible to take a ssd from a laptop I had that has windowsand put it in this laptop to use windows from it...
  8. Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another: I recently had a problem where I couldnt install windows on a sad i had on my laptop.i was wondering if it's possible to take a ssd from a laptop I had that has windowsand put it in this laptop to use windows from it...
  9. Transfering a ssd from one laptop to another

10. Windows 10 Pro - Transfer License from one machine to another?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro - Transfer License from one machine to another?: So if you look through my post history you'll see that my digital license for Windows Home will no longer activate as I had to replace my motherboard. So I have been forced to purchase a new key, even though I already spent $129.99. So I purchasedWindows 10 Pro from the...