Windows 10: Trying to resolve USB issue with vendor software

Discus and support Trying to resolve USB issue with vendor software in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am struggling to understand an issue that I feel may be a Windows 10 security/policy related. I am using a USB Hid device Touchscreen that supports... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rfdes, Feb 29, 2020.

1. rfdes Win User

Trying to resolve USB issue with vendor software

I am struggling to understand an issue that I feel may be a Windows 10 security/policy related.

I am using a USB Hid device Touchscreen that supports 3 modes, 'Generic-HID', Mouse and Digitizer. In order to change between these modes there exists a software tool provided by the device vendor. This tool was written for Win 7and is no longer supported by the vendor. In Win 7, when this HID device is attached to the USB bus, the device enumerates itself to one of these 3 modes. Using the vendor's software tool, it is possible to communicate with the HID device to make configuration changes sensitivity, noise rejection, etc.. In order for these changes to take place, the software tool changes the configuration to 'Generic-Hid'. When the config is made on the fly, the tool then communicates as needed. When done, it changes back to either 'Mouse' or 'Digitizer' whichever the user desires. When the software tool has been terminated, the device, again, numerates with the Win OS and works as as a touchscreen. Again, this works properly under Win 7 only.

In Win 10, the OS appears to be preventingthe software tool from changing the configuration from 'Mouse'/'Digitizer' to 'Generic-Hid'. Oddly enough, If I connect this USB device to a Win 7 machine, run the software tool, change the configuration to 'Generic-HID', then attach the device to the Win 10 machine. I am to run the software tool and communicate with the device. However, once I change the mode back to 'Mouse'/'Digitizer', the Win 10 machine is again not able to know access the device in order to modify it's configuration.

Does anyone know of a Win 10 'tweak' or security setting that would prevent this from happening? It seems like there should be a fairly straight forward solution to this.

Thanks

Jim

:)

rfdes, Feb 29, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

USB Ports Not Working

Hi Jemjames,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Troubleshoot

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your USB. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

Method 2.

Try updating the latest USB devices from the manufacturer's website and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps to update the USB drivers:

a. Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

b. Expand the USB driver.

c. Right-click on the USB and click on Update driver software.

d. Restart the computer and check.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Feb 29, 2020
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

Thanks,

The Users list compared to the Profile list you posted earlier tell me there is not an issue with Users (a known issue where there is a profile in the list, but not actual User folder).

The error code suggests corruption in the CBS manifest:
    Try these steps one at time until the issue is resolved or you run out of steps.

Is Windows activated?
    No? Activate Windows 10

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following line
    reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /s
    If DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

launch regedit
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    change the value of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess to 0
    exit regedit
    exit Command Prompt

Launch Windows Update

Try the next suggestion if the issue is not resolved.

Restore health to the component store
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
    Step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    - OR -
    Step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    Check System Files
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Read the front material, then
    follow >> OPTION THREE <<
    To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If there are integrity issues reported on screen,
    Follow the instructions in >> OPTION FIVE <<
    To View Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

If there are no integrity errors, Launch Windows Update

Paste the following line into the address bar of File Explorer
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\TroubleshootingLaunch System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
    Press Advanced
    Select Run as administrator
    Press Next

Launch Windows Update

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    Download and run MS Windows Update diagnostic cab (direct download)

Launch Windows Update

Manually reset Windows Updates via batch file

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Launch Windows Update

Slartybart, Feb 29, 2020
  4. Trying to resolve USB issue with vendor software

Issue with USB ports turning off

Hi Mattx1,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

1. Does the issue occur with all the USB devices plugged in to the PC?
    2. Does the issue occur when you plug in the USB device to any of the UISB port on the PC?
    3. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

Let us try these steps one by one to check if that makes any difference.

Step 1: Suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and check if that helps.

1. From the Settings screen, choose Update & Security.
    2. Select Troubleshoot. Look for Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and run it.
    3. Follow the on-screen direction to complete the process and if required please apply the fix it.
    4. Once it is done, please reboot the computer and check the status.

Step 2: Suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers on the PC to check if that helps.

1. Press ‘Windows + R’ keys, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run window and press Enter.
    2. In Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    3. Right click a device under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and click uninstall.
    4. Perform same step for other devices. When completed, restart the computer.
    All USB controllers will reinstall automatically.

Article for Reference.

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17614/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-windows-usb-problems

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Feb 29, 2020
Thema:

Trying to resolve USB issue with vendor software

1. Trying to resolve USB issue with vendor software - Similar Threads - Trying resolve USB

2. Best Type of Outdoor Vendor Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Type of Outdoor Vendor Software: Greetings. I will be starting to sell some products on street corners and have hired 4 others to work for me and do the same. Does anyone know the best apps / programs that would allow us all to make mobile transactions with our smart phones ( cash, card, apps, etc. ) that...
  3. Install Failed Contact Software Vendor

Install Failed Contact Software Vendor: When downloading some things today I encountered an Issue that I'd never seen before. Whenever I tried opening any Image/file It displayed the message, 'Install failed. Contact your software vendor.' It's Incredibly annoying since I need to open these files to do what I need...
  4. Install Failed Contact Software Vendor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Failed Contact Software Vendor: When downloading some things today I encountered an Issue that I'd never seen before. Whenever I tried opening any Image/file It displayed the message, 'Install failed. Contact your software vendor.' It's Incredibly annoying since I need to open these files to do what I need...
  5. INSTALL FAILED PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SOFTWARE VENDOR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    INSTALL FAILED PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SOFTWARE VENDOR: I've been suffering of this problem since two months. First the pc was having problems at opening , it didnt run any program. Iı passed within two days but since then it doesn't run any pc program. It doesnt run calculator, gallery , photos , it doesnt also run WhatsApp I've...
  6. "Install failed. Please contact your software vendor."

"Install failed. Please contact your software vendor.": Hello!I've got my new PC recently and I faced some issues while opening photos.When I try to open a photo using the Windows Photos default application, I get this error:This error seems to only happen on the photos app...I tried repairing and resetting it but it didn't work....
  7. Trying to resolve 4 month issue

Trying to resolve 4 month issue: I have a new computer and I've been back and forth with the manufacturer regarding the unit just randomly rebooting in the middle of nowhere causing me to loose precious unsaved items or being banned from games from the random crashing which is beyond frustrating. It could be...
  8. Trying to resolve 4 month issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to resolve 4 month issue: I have a new computer and I've been back and forth with the manufacturer regarding the unit just randomly rebooting in the middle of nowhere causing me to loose precious unsaved items or being banned from games from the random crashing which is beyond frustrating. It could be...
  9. "Install Failed. Please contact your software vendor"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Install Failed. Please contact your software vendor": Hello Peeps, I've been getting this message, whenever I try to save a picture from the internet: "Install Failed. Please contact your software vendor" The pictures get saved, but when I try to open then, the whole system freezes. Please help....
  10. Trident Z RGB RAM/Software Issues Resolved?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Trident Z RGB RAM/Software Issues Resolved?: So this was popping back then when the lighting software was causing issues to the SPD where it would be corrupted. I heard that this only applies to ASUS boards but I also saw that some other boards are affected. I currently have the F4-3200C16D-16GTZR and about to get...