Windows 10: Turn Off / Cancel / Remove Metered Connection Status

Discus and support Turn Off / Cancel / Remove Metered Connection Status in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I don't recall the details, but several months ago a Windows update item repeatedly failed to install on this PC. I thought the install attempts were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GarCooper, Feb 7, 2018.

1. GarCooper Win User

Turn Off / Cancel / Remove Metered Connection Status

I don't recall the details, but several months ago a Windows update item repeatedly failed to install on this PC. I thought the install attempts were interfering with my use of the PC. I followed a suggestion that I set my connection as "metered" to give me more control over when updates were installed. The problem got solved and I set my connection back to "unmetered".

Windows still acts as though Ihave my connection set as metered, which is not so.

This is interfering with automatic updates. See insertion or attachment.
    Turn Off / Cancel / Remove Metered Connection Status [​IMG]

How do I Turn Off / Cancel / Remove Metered Connection Status? What do I have to do?

:)

GarCooper, Feb 7, 2018

2. Scheduling Metered Connections Status

I am connected to Internet that is free of charge from 1 o'clock to 7 in the morning and want to schedule this in windows 10. it means I want to set task scheduler to set my WiFi metered status as off at 1 o'clock and set it as on at 7 o'clock every day
    in the morning. as you know you can turn metered status of an Internet connection off or on in Window 10 to let it run auto updating or not as windows 10 stops updating when you are on metered Internet connection. it is done by opening Setting then Network
    & Internet then WiFi then Advanced options then setting as metered or not. I want to only change the metered status at that hours. I do not want to block Internet or any other restrictions just because Windows 10 stops auto updating on metered connections
    and there is no other way to stop updating to prevent unmanaged costs.

please help me do this

Thank You

MahmoodMomeni, Feb 7, 2018
  3. How do I download updates for Windows 10 through a metered connection?

Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft community.

As per your query, I like to inform you to that; you cannot download Windows updates on metered connection. To download the updates, you need to turn off the metered connection then check for the updates.

I suggest you turn off the metered connection then check for the updates.

To turn off the metered connection, follow the below path:

Open Settings > Network & Internet
    > Wi-Fi, connect to the metered connection, maybe a Wi-Fi hotspot you’re tethering from your mobile, then click Advanced options, and toggle Set as metered connection to Off.

For more information about metered connection, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well

To download the updates, follow the below steps:

• Type setting in the search area in the taskbar and select
      Settings.

• Click on Update and Security.

• Click on Check for Updates.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Feb 7, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

You should only see that message, along with a 'Download' button, when checking for updates over a metered connection. 'Metered' status is set individually for each WiFi connection, so if you have more than one check that each one has been set to 'unmetered'. Try turning metering on and back off again for each of your connections.

What version of Windows do you have? Run Winver to find out. In 1703 and later it's also possible to set the Ethernet connection as metered from within Settings (in earlier versions this was only possible with a registry edit).

The size of '1.18 GB-4.71GB' in your screenshot looks a little large for a conventional cumulative update. Above the bit you posted should have been the name of the update. Did it say 'Features Update to Windows 10, version 1709'? If so it's waiting your permission to download and install the Fall Creators Update (version 1709).

Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10
    Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Bree, Feb 7, 2018
  5. GarCooper Win User
    Thanks for your help.

I feel certain I turned the connection status to Non- metered at least once, and probably twice. When I followed Bree's procedure, it was set to Metered, and have set that off.

GarCooper, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn Off / Cancel / Remove Metered Connection Status - Similar Threads - Turn Off Cancel

2. Can't install driver due to "metered connection", but metered connection is actually turned...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install driver due to "metered connection", but metered connection is actually turned...: I am trying to install our printer on my daughter's Acer notebook but it gets half way through and then tells me it can't complete the installation due to being on a metered connection. But when you go to network settings metered connection is set to off and is greyed out....
  3. Metered connection option keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connection option keeps turning off: Hi. I got this annoying problem, when i set a connection as metered windows turning it off! in other word the option does not save! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection-option-keeps-turning-off/04fb5a9d-5b2b-4680-9b2a-6f465e465393
  4. How to Check Status of Office 365 Update on Metered Connection?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to Check Status of Office 365 Update on Metered Connection?: Hi all. Office 365 offered updates early this week. Since I'm on a slowish/metered connection (a tethered 4G mobile phone) and have Windows set accordingly (this actually works well - seems to stop all sorts of background goings on that were slowing the connection) it asks...
  5. metered connection off

metered connection off: hallo everyone may some one please help me with switching on the metered cellular data connection on, thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection-off/d30889c7-e455-4ff8-8256-af9429436734
  6. Metered Connection - Stil Gettin Messages and Setting is Turned to Off

Metered Connection - Stil Gettin Messages and Setting is Turned to Off: Recently purchased a new PC with Windows 10. I am now seeing messages in several places about having a metered connection. I checked the WiFi settings and the setting is turned to off for a metered connection yet the PC is still telling me the connection is metered in my...
  7. Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Allow Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 By default, Windows Update in Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates,...
  8. how to remove the metered connection of this pc

how to remove the metered connection of this pc: The pc should be taken of the metered connection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-to-remove-the-metered-connection-of-this-pc/da89da9c-bcbd-4015-ab0d-6860300ae380
  9. Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation...
  10. Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Download Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10 [img] Information Internet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data...