Windows 10: Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt

Discus and support Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt Turn On or Off 'Make Microsoft Edge your default browser' Prompt in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt

How to: Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt

Turn On or Off 'Make Microsoft Edge your default browser' Prompt in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt [​IMG]
    Information Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

When Microsoft Edge is not set as your default web browser, you will get a Make Microsoft Edge your default browser prompt in Microsoft Edge to either Change my default or Don't ask again.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the Make Microsoft Edge your default browser prompt for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in Microsoft Edge
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt using a REG file

EXAMPLE: "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in Microsoft Edge

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in Microsoft Edge
    1. When the Make Microsoft Edge your default browser prompt appears at the bottom in Microsoft Edge, perform either action below for what you want to do. (see example screenshot above)
    A) Click/tap on Don't ask again to turn off the prompt without making Microsoft Edge your default browser.

OR

B) Click/tap on Change my default to make Microsoft Edge your default browser and turn off the prompt.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt using a REG file

Note The .reg files below make changes to the DWORD value in the registry key below.

Code:
    DisallowDefaultBrowserPrompt DWORD

0 = On
    1 = Off

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in Microsoft Edge
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Micosoft_Edge_default_browser_prompt.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in Microsoft Edge
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Micosoft_Edge_default_browser_prompt.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, OK (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 6, 2017

2. How to set Microsoft Edge as default browser.

Hi,

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check again.

1. Press Windows key + I to open settings.

2. Click System and click default apps.

3. Click web browser and select Microsoft edge.

Hope this helps.

Wungraileng Vashi, Oct 26, 2019
  3. How to set Microsoft Edge as default browser.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

A quick question before we proceed:

Are you trying to set Microsoft Edge as default browser?

If yes, I suggest you to try the steps below to make
    Microsoft Edge as default browser.

Step 1: Go to settings by typing
    Settings in the search bar next to Start button, and press
    Enter.

Step 2: Click on
    System option from the window, and select Default apps from the left side panel of the screen.

Step 3: Under
    Choose Default apps, scroll down the page, and select
    Set defaults by app.

Step 4: Select
    Microsoft Edge under Programs, and click on
    Set this program as default.

Step 5: Click
    OK. Close the window, and check if the issue is resolved.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you further.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 26, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is developing a built-in ad blocker for its Edge browser

"One of the first browser add-ons many people install to improve their online experience is Adblock Plus or something similar. Until recently, Microsoft Edge's lack of support for add-ons put off a lot of would-be users, but reports from Build 2016 suggest that native ad blocking is on its way to the Internet Explorer successor.

Adblock Plus is coming to Edge, but built-in ad blocking would negate the need for such an add-on. A slide shown off and snapped at a Build presentation shows that the next version of Edge, in response to user feedback, will feature ad blocking capabilities. There's no word on delivery timescale, but the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update would seem a likely candidate.

ZDNet's Ed Bott photographed the slide which shows Microsoft's development roadmap built around feedback from testers. Right at the top of the list is reference to plans to create a plugin and extension store for Edge, but it's entry number four that's more intriguing.

"Build ad blocking features into the browser" is listed as a Feature Request from users. But the good news is that it is not only listed as being "Deliverable 4682811", but as "Targeted for the next version".

This will no doubt come as good news for those who have fallen in love with Edge, but it's not something that will be welcomed by the likes of Adblock Plus. It does seem that, particularly in the mobile arena, there is a move to baking ad blocking into the browser so it makes sense that Microsoft is following the trend. But it is the fact that Edge straddles Windows 10 on the desktop and Windows 10 Mobile that makes this a particularly interesting move.

Keep an eye out for Insider builds in the coming weeks as the feature may be just around the corner.
    "

Forget extensions, built-in ad blocking is coming to Microsoft Edge - [UPDATE... no it's not!]

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Changing default browser to IE and wifi issues

Hi Ed,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• In desktop search, type default app settings and select the result.

• Under Web browser, click the current browser (EDGE).

• Choose Internet Explorer and set it as
      default.

Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Oct 26, 2019
  6. gelund Win User
    microsoft edge making it my default browser

1. Select the Start button and type "Default app settings"

2. In the search results, select "Default app settings"

3. Under Web browser, select the browser listed, then select "Microsoft Edge"

gelund, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt - Similar Threads - Turn Off Microsoft

2. Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser: Installed Windows 11 February Update today. Now, every time after turning on the computer, the default browser is Microsoft Edge. I put Chrome, but after restarting system, Edge again by default. How to fix it? P.S. The reason may be that before updating, I have deleted the...
  3. Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge becomes the default browser: Installed Windows 11 February Update today. Now, every time after turning on the computer, the default browser is Microsoft Edge. I put Chrome, but after restarting system, Edge again by default. How to fix it? P.S. The reason may be that before updating, I have deleted the...
  4. How to turn off Microsoft Edge Version 87 asking to set to default

in Browsers and Email
    How to turn off Microsoft Edge Version 87 asking to set to default: I'm working on deploying the new Microsoft Edge (Version 87) browser to my user's. The only problem is that it asks, within a tool bar at the top of the screen ,to set it as the default browser. I found the following forum to turn this off via the registry but its not...
  5. Microsoft Edge replaced my default Browser

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge replaced my default Browser: The last update PUSHED Edge onto a number of our employee's taskbars. And, that is not the worst part. In some cases, even though other browsers were being used by an individual, when I tried to revert the workstation's default browser under default apps, the original...
  6. how do I make Firefox my default browser and not Edge?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do I make Firefox my default browser and not Edge?: No matter what I try, I cannot make any other browser my default except for Edge, and I do not want that, and now especially even more because it is denying me!...
  7. can i turn the feed off in the new edge browser?

in Browsers and Email
    can i turn the feed off in the new edge browser?: can i turn the feed off in the new edge browser start screen? /canary version. Regards. 131929
  8. Can't make Microsoft Edge my default browser in default app settings

in Browsers and Email
    Can't make Microsoft Edge my default browser in default app settings: I currently have Firefox, IE and Edge installed on my PC. Firefox is set as the default browser. When I go into the default apps setting screen and click to change my default browser, only IE and Firefox are on the list, so I can't select Edge. However, if I click the...
  9. Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Extensions in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Extensions in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible...
  10. Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge: How to: Turn On or Off Download Save Prompt in Microsoft Edge How to Turn On or Off Microsoft Edge Download Save Prompt in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to turn off the prompt for it to ask for the default browser