Windows 10: Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Spelling Autocorrect and Highlight Misspelled Words in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by David Winter, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Spelling Autocorrect and Highlight Misspelled Words in Windows 10

Windows 10 includes a spell checking feature for when you type words anywhere in Windows 10.

When autocorrect misspelled words is turned on, it will autocorrect your typed words on the fly if matched with the correct spelling of the word in the dictionary.

When highlight misspelled words is turned on, your typed misspelled words that are not found in the dictionary will be highlighted with a red squiggly line under it. You can then right click on this highlighted misspelled word for more options.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off spelling autocorrect misspelled words and highlight misspelled words for your user account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Spelling Autocorrect and Highlight Misspelled Words in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Spelling Autocorrect Misspelled Words using a REG file
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Spelling Highlight Misspelled Words using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Highlight misspelled words

Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Spelling Autocorrect and Highlight Misspelled Words in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2. Click/tap on Typing on the left side, and turn on (default) or off Autocorrect misspelled words for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. Turn on (default) or off Highlight misspelled words for what you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Spelling Autocorrect Misspelled Words using a REG file

*note The .reg files below add and make changes to DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7

EnableAutocorrection DWORD

0 = off
    1 = on

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Spelling Autocorrect Misspelled Words
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Autocorrect_Misspelled_Words.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Spelling Autocorrect Misspelled Words
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Autocorrect_Misspelled_Words.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Spelling Highlight Misspelled Words using a REG file

*note The .reg files below add and make changes to DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7

EnableSpellchecking DWORD

0 = off
    1 = on

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Spelling Highlight Misspelled Words
    *note This is the default setting.

Turn_On_Highlight_Misspelled_Words.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Spelling Highlight Misspelled Words

Turn_Off_Highlight_Misspelled_Words.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

David Winter, Aug 13, 2016
  2. PhilippNe Win User

auto capitalization windows 10 Mail - how do I shut this off?

Hi,

I found a way to turn the auto correction off, it's described here for Windows 8, but works in Windows 10 aswell.

Here's the link:

How to turn off spell check and auto correct in Windows 8 & 10

PhilippNe, Aug 13, 2016
  3. EdSj Win User
    Annoying spell correction Windows Live Mail

Windows Live Mail in Windows 10: I work with EHR (electronic health records), and, despite adding EHR to the accepted spelling list in Windows Live Mail, every time I type EHR it immediately changes to HER. I don't want to turn off the spell check,
    I want to turn off the correction from EHR to HER.

4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10

Brink, Aug 13, 2016
  5. This is my setting,no typing option

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 13, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Are you able to upgrade to the latest build via Windows Update?

Brink, Aug 13, 2016
  8. Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10

Yeah sure,my Windows update is working fine, but I don't have wifi.

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you have an Internet connection, you should be able to update unless you are limited by a monthly data allotment.

Brink, Aug 13, 2016
  10. Exactly, I'm using my mobile data and it's not that cheap.

I think I'm gonna keep it like that.

Thanks for the help.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're welcome. If you have a friend that will let you connect to their Internet, that would be a good option to use if you like.

Brink, Aug 13, 2016
  12. PBC
    pbc Win User
    Having the exact same issue with my Lenovo Yoga Tab 2. Typing in tablet mode is extremely frustrating as it doesn't do the following:

- Won't capitalize the first letter in a starting sentence
    - Zero auto-correct of mispelled words
    - No predictive words shown (this is probably because I had "send text to microsoft" turned off so I just turned that on)
    - doesn't correct simple things like adding an apostrophe when I type "dont"

Very painful. Attached are my settings, any help would be great!

IP_CENTCOM_Debug.log

13. PBC
    pbc Win User

Last pic..

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello pbc, *Smile

Do you have options to select from when you right click on the word underlined in red as misspelled?

Brink, Oct 22, 2016
  15. PBC
    pbc Win User
    Yes, if there is a red line on a misspelled word I can right click to see options (not sure how to do it when in table mode though.. *Smile ).

But still do not get any predictions or suggestions, nor does it capitalize/insert apostrophe, etc.

Thanks!

Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Spell Checking in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Spell

2. Spell-Check is Turned Off in Settings But Still Highlighting Words

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spell-Check is Turned Off in Settings But Still Highlighting Words: Spell-Check is turned off in Windows settings, but still highlighting words with a red squiggly underline in my Proton Mail desktop app which doesn't have an in-built spell-checker. This doesn't happen in any other apps, including Word, WordPad and NotePad....
  3. Spell-Check is Turned Off in Settings But Still Highlighting Words

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spell-Check is Turned Off in Settings But Still Highlighting Words: Spell-Check is turned off in Windows settings, but still highlighting words with a red squiggly underline in my Proton Mail desktop app which doesn't have an in-built spell-checker. This doesn't happen in any other apps, including Word, WordPad and NotePad....
  4. spell check

in Windows 10 Gaming
    spell check: When typing and I misspell a word and I right click on it to get the correct spelling it has stopped showing me choices. It has always given me several words to choose from and then pops them in when I make a choice. How do I get this feature back again?...
  5. Spell check won't turn off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spell check won't turn off: When I use certain programs (such as Evernote and WhatsApp Web) that don't have their own spell check feature but instead use Windows' spell check, any (perceived to be) misspelled words are highlighted with the well known red squiggly line. It's annoying as very often the...
  6. Spell check won't turn off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spell check won't turn off: When I use certain programs such as Evernote and WhatsApp Web that don't have their own spell check feature but instead use Windows' spell check, any perceived to be misspelled words are highlighted with the well known red squiggly line. It's annoying as very often the things...
  7. Can't turn off spell check

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't turn off spell check: I've noticed that in programs such as Steam or things I use for modding games, that a spell check is active. It uses my native language Dutch. No matter what I do, I can't turn this off. It makes things hard to read, when almost every word has a red line under it. I went to...
  8. Spell Check

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Spell Check: Is spell check available in Word Pad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spell-check/268af303-8218-4222-8446-e3887d89bf55"
  9. spell check OFF!

in Browsers and Email
    spell check OFF!: settings > devices > typing > spelling "highlight mispelled words" set to OFF, but still working on Microsoft Edge. How to solve this? 10997
  10. Spartan/Edge.. turning on spell check??

in Browsers and Email
    Spartan/Edge.. turning on spell check??: For some reason.. I can't find out how to turn that feature on in the latest build(10130).. any advice on how to turn spell check for Spartan/Edge would be nice.*Huh TIA 6929

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn on spell check in next gen EHR