Windows 10: Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken

Discus and support Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Using Windows 10 Pro, 1909, build 18363.815. It was installed last Feb and I am the only user. sfc /scannow reports everything is OK and so does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ineuw, May 12, 2020.

1. ineuw Win User

Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken

Using Windows 10 Pro, 1909, build 18363.815. It was installed last Feb and I am the only user. sfc /scannow reports everything is OK and so does chkdsk.

I would like to create a local account, and use that instead of the Microsoft account, but I am unable to do so. get the message "Something went wrong, try again later." The same thing happened when I tried to create accounts of any type.

This problem exists for at least a month because I tried to do this earlier, got the same results, and abandoned the attempt.
    What would be the proper procedure to repair this?

:)

ineuw, May 12, 2020

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, May 12, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

4. Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken

Local vs Network user accounts

I just did a VM install, just to verify that I don't speak total crap.

Steps I took:

1. Installed Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063.0
    2. Entered the License Key
    3. Created a local account
    4. Went to accounts and added my Microsoft account
    5. Let Windows use this account for all apps
    6. Checked status on Microsoft account web page.
    7. Verified that the VM shows up there
    8. deleted my VM locally
    9. created a new VM installation without entering the License Key (on same VM but totally new Virtual disk)
    10. re-did steps 3-7
    11. verified that my VM is activated.

And indeed it is activated and I login to my VM using local account which is linked to my MS account. Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken :)

Should I create a Video of this or do you trust my word on it? Or better yet test it yourself if you have a valid license key you can waste on a VM.

slicendice, May 12, 2020
Thema:

Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken

1. Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken - Similar Threads - Unable add local

2. Trying to add MS Account to my new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to add MS Account to my new laptop: I have just purchased another laptop and trying to connect to my MS Account. Both my PC and Laptop are both on Win10 Pro, connected to wifi no issues.I tried searching for the answer and as advised, created another user under 'Family and other users' on the laptop using the...
  3. Trying to add MS Account to my new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to add MS Account to my new laptop: I have just purchased another laptop and trying to connect to my MS Account. Both my PC and Laptop are both on Win10 Pro, connected to wifi no issues.I tried searching for the answer and as advised, created another user under 'Family and other users' on the laptop using the...
  4. Trying to add MS Account to my new laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to create new local user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to create new local user account: I'm on my Windows 10 Home PC logged in as Administrator local user and trying to create a new standard local user. I go to settings -> accounts -> other users I select "Add someone else to this PC" and it comes up with a new window headed "Local Users and Groups" telling me...
  6. Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable add new MS or local accounts, something is broken: Using Windows 10 Pro, 1909, build 18363.815. It was installed last Feb and I am the only user. sfc /scannow reports everything is OK and so does chkdsk. I would like to create a local account, and use that instead of the Microsoft account, but I am unable to do so. get the...
  7. local account unable to switch to MS account

local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  8. local account unable to switch to MS account

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    local account unable to switch to MS account: I tried everything on the account page to no avail. When I googled the issue, I saw many folks with the same issue. How is whis done with Windows 10 Pro 1809? I was told to use a second account for my wife to backup itunes so gave her a local account then cold not get back to...
  9. Unable to add local admin account

Unable to add local admin account: Periodically I acquire computers from ex-employees that only have themselves as local Users. Even though I'm in the Administrators Group as a domain admin, I don't have permission to add anyone to local Users. I need to clean these up for redeployment and often wind up...
  10. Unable to unlink MS account back to local

Unable to unlink MS account back to local: Hi all, I've recently discovered that my MS account has linked itself to the local account I've been using. I have visited several threads and websites to describe how to change it back to a local account, however, I seem to be missing the option under Settings\Your email and...