Windows 10: Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...

Discus and support Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So my little brother wanted to buy Minecraft for Windows 10. His computer was set up with a single local administrator account and remained local up to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by endless_frustration, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...

So my little brother wanted to buy Minecraft for Windows 10. His computer was set up with a single local administrator account and remained local up to this point. The Store requires you to sign in to a Microsoft account to buy stuff, so I did that with his Microsoft account that he has from the Xbox One. Then, without my permission, his local account was changed to the Microsoft account used to sign into the Store. Now he is required to sign in to his Microsoft account every time he boots up the computer. On top of that, he has no permission to browse the web or do much of anything, because he's a child as given by the Microsoft account.

I cannot figure out a way to change his account back a local one. As I've read in countless other posts, there should be an option that says, "Sign in with a local account instead" when you go Settings > Accounts > Your info. In my case that option is not there, the only option there is to manage the Microsoft account. I can't remove it. I've removed the computer as a device from his account, but that did not help.

I do not want to create another user account, as he will lose all of his settings, software, customizations, etc.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, I've spent hours searching for a solution to this problem but it seems to be done this way by design, which is absolutely ridiculous.

:)

endless_frustration, Jan 27, 2019
  2. CSMR(2) Win User

Signing into Onenote app converts local account to microsoft account

Steps:

• Sign into a local account
    • Open the OneNote app (tablet not desktop app)
    • Sign in to this app with a Microsoft account
    The local account is then converted into a Microsoft account with that identity.

This is wrong and unexpected behaviour as no indication is given that the sign in is for the whole of windows rather than just OneNote.

It is also hard to revert.

I am guessing that other apps may exhibit the same behaviour.

In fact I don't understand how an app (which is supposed to be sandboxed and secure) can change user account information.

CSMR(2), Jan 27, 2019
  3. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jan 27, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...

Local and Microsoft account

Ah, ok. I see now.

You have added your MSA to used by other apps in her local account.

The only way to have the MSA use the same display name as the local account would be to change the name of the MSA. However, this would affect all PCs that use this MSA though.

Brink, Jan 27, 2019
Thema:

Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...

1. Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account... - Similar Threads - Unable revert Microsoft

2. Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Revert to local account after Windows 10 update signed in with Microsoft account: Dear Microsoft Team,Greetings from Holland! How are you doing today? I'm currently facing an issue what's really annoying. I have a desktop pc for which only one local account is used. I don't know what happened, but I assume that after a Windows Update the pc started to log...
  3. Sign in with local account or Microsoft Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign in with local account or Microsoft Account: What are the advantages of signing into my Win 10 PC using a Microsoft account versus I have been using a local account. What do I gain by using the Microsoft account?...
  4. Reverting back to local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reverting back to local account: I inadvertently bought in to the request to sign in with a Microsoft account instead of my local account. When trying to use my local account at the log in I don't get the option to log in as another user and my old local account is all messed up....
  5. Unable to convert Microsoft account to Local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to convert Microsoft account to Local account: Hi, I accidentally trnafered my local user account on Windows 10 and signed in to a Microsoft account instead , I have tried to remove the Microsoft account and go back to a local but there is no option to and the account is a child account and there is no option in the...
  6. Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account

Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account: I switched my account to a local account and that seemed to mess up my Outlook app. I clicked Fix account, nothing happens. I try to sign in with Microsoft account in settings, a screen comes up and disappears immediately....
  7. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...
  8. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...
  9. Can I revert to a local account if I am unable to sign into my Microsoft Account?

Can I revert to a local account if I am unable to sign into my Microsoft Account?: I forgot the password to my Microsoft Account which I was using to sign into my laptop! I was wondering if it is possible to revert to a local account without having to sign into the Microsoft Account instead of using elevated Command Prompt to create a new local user...
  10. How to revert account back to local

How to revert account back to local: I've downloaed an app from the store and this made my local account to be authenticated against my Microsoft-account. How can I revert back the account to be a local account? Thanks in advance Olli 11266

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to revert back microsoft account

2. revert to local account not there