Windows 10: Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Discus and support Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So long story short is I was logged into a local account. I've seen other posts about using the built in admin account but nothing that said anything... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by The1TruJok3r, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

So long story short is I was logged into a local account. I've seen other posts about using the built in admin account but nothing that said anything about not the built in administrator's account but an account that was local and in the administrators group.

So anyway I logged into the store as one of my children. When doing so I accidentally choose to login instead of "just to the app" and now my child's account has some sort of weird merge with mine.

I still login locally with my local password however it's enforcing their account restrictions now on mine but I'm still listed as an administrator but unable to do anything.

I don't have the option to create a local account as it's not there it just says "manage my ms account". I did create a local account so I could login to the web and unrestrict my child's account so I could browse the web and what not but I have ton's of stuff tied to my profile and wonder if there is any way to "unscrew" this massive screw up.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm on Windows 10, latest updates to 12/27/17.

Removing the device from online and remove any app logins hasn't helped. I'm at a loss. The next step was to close their account and hope that would untie it somehow but MS says they don't really remove accounts for 60 days and still not sure that would help...

:)

The1TruJok3r, Dec 27, 2017

2. Undo/Un-sync Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Sorry to hear removing Creds did not work.

I don't know if you tried System restore the old way through control panel.

But this is what I found is in config restore with Win10 it's turned off. Why don't know. There are some restore points saved somewhere in the system. So you could try.

Another way is to use a large Thumb or Jump drive save your children files etc.. and remove all there info remove there accounts and repair your admin account.

Or fine someone that know computer language that can go into admin CMD prompt and remove that password that now embedded into windows. I myself have not got that far yet. If I find away I'll message you back. Good Luck

DavidShort_59, Dec 27, 2017
  3. Undo/Un-sync Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Try looking here.

In Search Box type Control Panel Click

Open Credential Manager Open

Right Tab Windows Creds Open

Look at the date to right of modified

You may need to sign out of Windows Store MS

then if you known your passwords and your child children know there's Passwords

your can remove them

Restart then sign into your account windows and store mail cloud etc.....

and save

and have your children do the same.

DavidShort_59, Dec 27, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

5. The "Sign in with local account..." option is missing. All that is there now is the "Manage My Microsoft Account"

6. Bree New Member
    Sounds like you need a new local account that is an administrator so you can manage other accounts, perhaps to temporarily lift the restrictions on your child's account so you get the "Sign in with local account..." option back.

You may have more options available if you boot in Safe Mode, perhaps you'll be able to create a local administrator account then.

Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10

If not, you can enable the built-in Administrator and use that to make a new local account, make it an administrator, then use that to try and fix this. You may have to use Option Five if (as seems likely) none of the others are available.

Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

7. I've got a local account that is another administrator and I've even enabled the built-in local admin and still nothing there. I can log in to all accounts but the only one that shows that it can't be converted to a local account is the one that seems corrupted by this stupid partial sync with my childs online account. Again it shows it's a local admin account but it has the email of my child on it and it says manage my ms account under it with no option to convert to local account.

8. Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Pictures showing the issue: I've read posts here about how screwed you are if you are using the built-in local administrators account but this isn't that issue. It resembles it though because this was a local account that is an administrator and now it's sync'd online to my childs account however it still remains a local account in all other respects outside of the store. I've tried everything I can think of from removing the child from the family - adding it back as an adult account, re-removing it and removing the devices and the apps from the MSA devices and family page. Nothing works.

Still every time I log into the local account I'm shown my childs email and no way to convert this account to local anymore as the option is missing and I can't remove the account from the email and apps area as the remove button is gone.

Is there anyway to disconnect a MSA tied to local? Or maybe even have the local account tied to a different MSA? Honestly I can't stand the whole MSA crap. I prefer a local account only but my profile is old and has tons of stuff tied to it and have no interest in a clean install.

If noone knows of anyway to untie the accounts, does anyone know how I could migrate my profile to a new local admin account without losing anything? So say I create a 2nd local admin account and just copy the profile in some way? I know you can do things like copy your docs, folders, etc...but this loses all the other info in the profile such as all that tied in the \appdata folder and any outlook settings and tons of other stuff all tied to the original profile...

What a horrible mess this is....

Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account [​IMG]

9. Anak Win User
    Hi The1TruJok3r , Welcome to 10F! *Smile

I may have missed it, but have you tried using the manage button? The remove button may show when you're in the manage window.

10. Have you tried logging into your account on the Web using browser.

account.microsoft.com

Numerous headings like "Your Info" which has an option to manage email sign in, there is a "Family" heading. Not exactly sure how this crossed account may react to changes here. Maybe adding an email address, your address rather than Child's and then deleting Child's.

Again, I'm not sure how changes at the MSA level will impact machine log in but thought I would mention the web login as it gives you some alternatives.

Caledon Ken, Dec 27, 2017
  11. Yeah I tried logging into the child MSA but i removed the pc and the app's that had been logged in "MS Store" and then waited 30 minutes with pc off so hopefully it would sync / etc.. Then logged into a local account hit the web and didn't see the pc listed or the app. However the minute I log back in to the local account that is somehow a hybrid account it would see because it says local admin account but yet it has my childs email and is saying it's managed online it populates the device and the app right back in the online devices area.

Been doing pc / server / windows / IT Work for over 2 decades and never have I in my life seen something so horribly done wrong that you seemingly can't come back from.

Other issue is that I can change the email or remove it and change it online however that will totally destroy my childs account and all their progress for their Xbox stuff and PC as well.

12. When you click the manage it just launches a browser and wants you to use the online tools which essentially do nothing. Thanks for the Welcome!

13. Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

Here is what the account looks like when you look at it under accounts in control panel.

The1TruJok3r, Dec 28, 2017
  14. tldees Win User
    Do you have a "backup Image" of your machine prior to your mistake? If not this is a perfect example of why backups are so important and can save the day. I did try to replicate your dilemma on my virtual windows 10 but was unable. You certainly have a unique situation. Have you tried a restore point to a date previous to your mistake?

tldees, Dec 28, 2017
  15. Even more ODD is I did have 5 restore points but when using system restore it failed on each one and on the last one it erased the other restore points and now says no restore points available.

I do agree with backups and I do backup my files / folders / etc...but I don't do a bare metal backup because well I've not needed to do a full image since windows 95 honestly. Always been able to figure everything out or save things manually with different tool disks. This online sync crap though....it's for the birds....

The1TruJok3r, Dec 28, 2017
Thema:

Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

1. Undo Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Undo Administrator Account

2. How do I change my administrative user information tied to my Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change my administrative user information tied to my Microsoft account?: Hi. I typically use a Mac, but have a PC for research. When I set up the PC and linked it to my Microsoft account, it was before my divorce. Every time I log in now, I see my old name and the photo I used to set up my computer. My Microsoft account is up to date, but it...
  3. How do I change my administrative user information tied to my Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change my administrative user information tied to my Microsoft account?: Hi. I typically use a Mac, but have a PC for research. When I set up the PC and linked it to my Microsoft account, it was before my divorce. Every time I log in now, I see my old name and the photo I used to set up my computer. My Microsoft account is up to date, but it...
  4. Are Windows 10 keys tied to microsoft accounts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are Windows 10 keys tied to microsoft accounts?: A friend bought a windows 10 pro key for a computer that had no SO instaled. After installing he activated the windows 10 copy and introduced and tied it to a microsoft account, as is required (by wich i mean, he did the custom setup for windows 10 pro). Now he has to format...
  5. Password for local account tied to hotmail logon account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Password for local account tied to hotmail logon account?: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 20H2 19042.844 Hello! Here's the context: Whenever I setup Windows 10 for the first time, I use my hotmail/Microsoft account to set everything up and to logon to Windows. Windows then creates a local profile/account that is tied to my hotmail account....
  6. Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft account tied to built-in admin account: I seem to be in quite a pickle here, I upgraded my laptop, a few years ago from windows 7 to 10, recently my boss asked me to pass on my work to others, but there's a problem, My personal Microsoft account, somehow got linked to the built-in administrator account, the laptop...
  7. user account tied with school account screw up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    user account tied with school account screw up: Ok I didn't realize this at the time but I started school last year at a local community college and I'm an IT major. I've been out of computers for a long time and starting this I purchased a laptop got a copy of windows 10 education from the school and installed it on my...
  8. RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account: I am having a problem using RDP and can't for the life of me figure it out. I have my PC running windows 10 and I use a Microsoft account with a pin to login. I have enabled and configured RDP access on the machine but can't login into it using my account. My Microsoft...
  9. Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware?: Hi folks, I was wondering about this, since we have a digital licence for Windows 10, and should one need a new motherboard, how does Microsoft determine if we are entitled to Activation for Windows 10 or not, if that activation is only tied to hardware.. Short History, I...
  10. Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Undo Built-in Administrator Account tied to a Microsoft Account: Somehow or another I received a computer to work on in which the build is Administrator account has been tied to a MSA. It is Windows 10 Home so I can't get to more advanced options in lusrmgr. I've tried searching and haven't found anything related to this topic; I have no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows administrator account tied to microsoft account

2. untie microsoft account from admin