Windows 10: Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???

Discus and support Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution??? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This is crazy. I linked my local Administrator account (which has been active since Windows 7, then I upgraded to Windows 10) to my Microsoft account.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MBonett, Apr 25, 2019.

1. MBonett Win User

Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???

This is crazy. I linked my local Administrator account (which has been active since Windows 7, then I upgraded to Windows 10) to my Microsoft account. I only did this because Microsoft said it would be easier when changing hardware (montherboard died) to re-establish my digital license. Now, I CANNOT unlink my Microsoft Account from my Administrator account!!

I just spent over an HOUR with Microsoft support, to no avail.

It seems when you link using the Administrator account, there is NEVER an option anywhere to "sign in with a local account" that everyone keeps saying to do!! Not matter how many times I run "net user", to activate/deactive the Administrator account, nothing changes!

It also seems to RENAME the Administrator account, so that "Administrator" does not display on logon, but the name on the Microsoft Account!

Is there ANY solution to this? The support person told me to create a new local account and copy over the items in the C:/Users folder under Administrator, but that DOES NOT preserve any settings! (e.g. web browser bookmarks). If you link the Administrator account, why is there not a simple way to unlink it??

:)

MBonett, Apr 25, 2019

2. Local account to administrator

Just to be straight with terminology.

You can set up your device with a local account or Microsoft account.

Within each of these options you can then either be an Administrator or a Standard user.

If you go Start, Settings, Account and click on Your Info is it listing you as a local account and just below that are you Standard or Administrator.

Caledon Ken, Apr 25, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Change Microsoft Account Details in Administrator Account

Hi Daryl, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It's quite easy in fact, simply switch the account in question first to a local account, then switch back to a Microsoft account, this time using your wife's MS account credentials.

Tutorials:
    Notice that before doing this you need to remove the new additional MS account on the PC, the one you created with her credentials. Windows allows only one user account for each email address, if the new account exists you cannot switch the original administrator account to an MS account using the same email address. Tutorial: User Account - Delete in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

4. Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???

unlink the Administrator account from a microsoft account

I used the "net user /Administrator:active" command to activate the hidden administrator account. Then, foolishly, I connected this account to a Microsoft account (a hotmail account). Now, I want to unlink the Administrator account from the Microsoft account.
    I have searched the net and found some solutions.

1. do a clean install of Windows 10. This will wipe out all the programs I have installed. This is too much.

2. delete the account. This is the default Administrator account. I don't know what would happen if it is deleted. If I can get it back after deletion, I may try this one, but can I?

3. go to the Microsoft account and delete the device. I logged in my Microsoft account and found no device was connected to this account.

Any other suggestions?

萬物為銅, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution???

1. Unlink local Administrators account from Microsoft Account - Is there a solution??? - Similar Threads - Unlink local Administrators

2. Unlink Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unlink Microsoft account: So I accidentally signed in to my Microsoft account on a computer and it got linked to the local account I was on. How do I unlink my Microsoft account while keeping the local account intact? The computer is using Windows 10, and I don’t think there are backups. I need...
  3. How to unlink a product key from the Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to unlink a product key from the Microsoft account: Hi folks, I have bought a PC that came without an OS and a copy of Windows license separately. At some point I have read that to help ease activation process when changing hardware and reinstalling it is preferable to link a product key to the Microsoft account, and so I...
  4. How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I unlink my local account from a Microsoft account?: Hello, I have what appears to be a common problem, as far as I can see, from searching about this issue but also one without a good resolution. I have a Windows 10 laptop. I am a local administrator and up until yesterday, there was no Microsoft account associated with...
  5. HOW TO UNLINK MICROSOFT ACCOUNT??

HOW TO UNLINK MICROSOFT ACCOUNT??: I was trying to fix something with my pc game and I went in to the xbox app and signed in on my computer for the first time. it then said it would link this to my whole computer and because this was my old xbox account it was family restricted. now I cant do anything and my...
  6. Unlinking windows 10 from microsoft account, and linking to different microsoft account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unlinking windows 10 from microsoft account, and linking to different microsoft account: I have two microsoft accounts. With one 'a', I have an office 365 subscription that expired in 2017. With the other 'b', I have an active Office 365 subscription. My computer is currently linked to my 'a' account - and I would like to logout of this microsoft account, and log...
  7. Local account to administrator

Local account to administrator: Hello all, Somehow, I've set up my laptop as local account instead of administrator *Redface*Redface Unable to make changes as I don't have administrator rights. I'm the only user on this PC, is it possible to change local account to administrator? Do you want to make...
  8. Unlinking a MS account NO SUITABLE SOLUTION?

Unlinking a MS account NO SUITABLE SOLUTION?: After purchasing MS Office my wife's MS account has become annoyingly linked to mine. When I try to open skype from my login, skype opens with her name and profile under my Email address. Tech support informs me that they can do NOTHING to resolve the issue as MS has removed...
  9. Unable to unlink MS account back to local

Unable to unlink MS account back to local: Hi all, I've recently discovered that my MS account has linked itself to the local account I've been using. I have visited several threads and websites to describe how to change it back to a local account, however, I seem to be missing the option under Settings\Your email and...
  10. local account/Microsoft account

local account/Microsoft account: I have been using Windows 10 for about a week. I set up two accounts - one administrator, the other regular user. When attempting to update Windows 10, I got a message saying because I did not login a Microsoft account, some updates couldn't be downloaded. So, I had to create...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows unlink microsoft account local admin