Windows 10: Update failed, 5 times in 2 weeks.

Discus and support Update failed, 5 times in 2 weeks. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello folks, I am running Windows 10 Home, upgraded from Windows 7 Home Edition. The current version is 1703 (OS Version 15063.674). Within a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by crackhammer, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Update failed, 5 times in 2 weeks.

Hello folks,

I am running Windows 10 Home, upgraded from Windows 7 Home Edition. The current version is 1703 (OS Version 15063.674).

Within a period of last 2 weeks, Windows has tried to update at least 5 times and after a couple of reboots, it tells me that the updates have failed and it has rolled back. I can't figure out the cause. I wonder if anybody can help me figure out the cause and address it.

I am sure there must be some data dump about this. How does one access it so that the cause can be figured out.

Many thanks in advance.

:)

crackhammer, Nov 21, 2017

2. Lumia 610 - 2 times broke the display within 2 weeks

We just bought this phone for our 7-year-old and he was boasting to older his siblings (who have Iphones) that Nokia is so durable that if you drop it on the floor, the floor will break. First-grader-humour, but unfortunately not true at all: it took 2 weeks
    of use and first drop from 50 cms to laminate flooring cracked the display totally.

I tried weakly to suggest to maintenance guys that can it perhaps be a problem with the product, but nevertheless paid the required 119 euros for repair. We got the phone yesterday and my son was real happy until... today he left the phone in is bag the
    zipper open and guess what: the phone falls on the ground and the display is gone. I can't believe this!

Of course you guys will tell me that these large displays don't tolerate any drops, but I have an E7 for business and Iphone for private use and drop them every now and then on office floor or outside and nothing has ever happened. Does anyone else have
    such experiences?

Reason---01, Nov 21, 2017
  3. 93tid Win User
    Lumia 610 - 2 times broke the display within 2 weeks

Every drop is different and even a seemingly lesser one can cause more damage than tumbling down two landings on a concrete staircase.

You have just been unlucky with the 610 and very lucky with your other handsets.

93tid, Nov 21, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Update failed, 5 times in 2 weeks.

Hi, there can be numerous possible causes, from disk and file system problems to your AV and connected peripherals.

I recently went through a sequence with someone from a very similar starting point.
    When you look at your disk, if you had unallocated space on it, you may find you now have multiple recovery partitions.

Let's run through basics.
    Please post a screenshot of your partitions using Minitool partition wizard.
    Please post your windows build:
    Windows key + R, winver
    Also a screenshot of your Update History.

What is your disk type? (HDD, SSD etc?)

Please make sure you have around 20Gb free on your C: drive, and 1.2Gb of unallocated space on your system drive. (This is needed as Windows often creates a new Recovery partition when upgrading).

1. First check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

2. Now check your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. Now check your system files. From an admin command prompt
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and post the result.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

What went wrong?
    Then see this where many error numbers and messages are listed:
    (However the log may be lost when the PC reverts to the old version after a failed upgrade)
    How to Troubleshoot Common Setup and Stop Errors During Windows - Microsoft Community

Trying again- preparation.
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Note the guidance in the yellow section and Here's How

Meanwhile you may wish to disable Windows Update.

Whilst you can try setting your connection as metered, it's possible MS will regard the upgrade as 'important' and disregard that.
    Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

dalchina, Nov 21, 2017
  5. I had a similar problem on a Windows 10 Home PC when the update to 1709 failed three times. I then downloaded the Windows Update Troubleshooter, which made a few changes to my system. After that the next update attempt was successful.

MikeinGrange, Nov 22, 2017
  6. @ dalchina,

Thanks for the reply.

Results of the things that you mentioned are as follows.

Update failed, 5 times in 2 weeks. [​IMG]

The disk is SSHD. Its Seagate drive.

Update History

HDD Sentinel

Check Disk Event log

File System scan

If you would like to see anything else, pls let me know.

@MikeinGrange,
    I found few options online but before I use them to fix the issue, I wanted to check what the issue is and would prefer to fix it.
    If all fails, I will have to go that route but before that I would like to give a try.

crackhammer, Nov 22, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok, I had that happen with 4049854 (but I note earlier issues with updates too, although 4049011 succeeded.

What I did with 4049854 was to uninstall it and reboot, and then let it install again. Simply restarting achieved nothing.

You disk is good and SFC has fixed something, so far so good.

Running the troubleshooter would now be a good idea; also please use Minitool partition wizard, expand columns as necessary to all text is visible and post a screenshot of your partitions.

dalchina, Nov 22, 2017
  8. Update failed, 5 times in 2 weeks.

@dalchina,

Apologies for the delay.

I ran update troubleshooter and after that tried to update offline using WSUS offline updater, same result.

I am a little confused about which columns would you like to see in MiniTool Partition Wizard.

I am now uninstalling KB4049854 and will try to install offline again to see how it goes. Will update once done.

crackhammer, Nov 25, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member

like that.. you may have to stretch a column horizontally to avoid .....

I expect you will need to uninstall it before succeeding e.g. via the Control Panel, Programs and Features, Installed updates if not feasible from Settings.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Update failed, 5 times in 2 weeks.

1. Update failed, 5 times in 2 weeks. - Similar Threads - Update failed times

2. 2 BlueScreen in 2 weeks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 BlueScreen in 2 weeks: SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedlyDate‎2/‎11/‎2023 4:42 PMStatusNot reportedProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BlueScreenCode: 10eParameter 1: 17Parameter 2: ffffffffc000000dParameter 3: ffffd30d220ad000Parameter 4: 0OS version: 10_0_22621Service Pack: 0_0Product:...
  3. System crashes 1-2 times a week

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System crashes 1-2 times a week: My Windows 10 system started crashing a few months ago. It crashes once or twice a week. I think it was around the time of some new VPN software Perimeter81 was installed.Here is a link to the crashdump file. Its in OneDrive. Let me know if its not...
  4. System crashes 1-2 times a week

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System crashes 1-2 times a week: My Windows 10 system started crashing a few months ago. It crashes once or twice a week. I think it was around the time of some new VPN software Perimeter81 was installed.Here is a link to the crashdump file. Its in OneDrive. Let me know if its not...
  5. System crashes 1-2 times a week

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. BSOD 1 - 2 times a week, clueless.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD 1 - 2 times a week, clueless.: Hello there,I have the problem that for a few months I get these BSODs with the cause being either SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED or CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION, also there is never a specific application or error code mentioned in the BSOD. The first few times I was...
  7. Upgrade to 1903 fails 5 times

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to 1903 fails 5 times: I have no clue what is going on here. This is my 5th. try at installing this upgrade 1903. First thing I did was make a computer backup. I st. time was from updates, kept freezing and I kept forcing restarts, then it reverted back to original. 2 nd. and other tries, I used...
  8. 2 BSOD's in 2 weeks

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    2 BSOD's in 2 weeks: Installed W10 Pro on a freshly built system in January. In July, I got 2 BSODs. Can someone assist me with figuring out what happened and how to resolve it? 1. POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA. I got this when I was doing drive cleanup. Bug Check String :...
  9. Next Week on Xbox: New Games for April 2 to 5

in Windows 10 News
    Next Week on Xbox: New Games for April 2 to 5: [ATTACH] Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One, read on below...
  10. Next Week on Xbox: New Games for October 2 to 5

in Windows 10 News
    Next Week on Xbox: New Games for October 2 to 5: Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One, read on below and click on...