Windows 10: USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows

Discus and support USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows How to Add Enable or Disable USB Storage Devices Connection context menu in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows

How to: USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows

How to Add Enable or Disable USB Storage Devices Connection context menu in Windows

USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows [​IMG]
    Information This tutorial will show you how to add a USB storage devices connection desktop context menu to make it easy to quickly enable or disable connecting USB storage devices on demand for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

When users try to connect a USB storage device (ex: USB flash drive or external USB drive) while disabled, the USB storage device will not connect and will not show in This PC, File Explorer, and Disk Management.

Any currently connected USB storage devices will continue to show and have access to if you disable connecting USB storage devices until disconnected or you shut down computer.

You must be signed in as an administrator to add, remove, and use the "USB storage devices connection" context menu.

EXAMPLE: "USB storage devices connection" desktop context menu

USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "USB storage devices connection" to Desktop Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_USB_storage_devices_connection_to_desktop_context_menu.reg

Download

3. To Remove "USB storage devices connection" from Desktop Context Menu
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_USB_storage_devices_connection_from_desktop_context_menu.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 25, 2017

2. USB Mass Storage device is an older USB device and moight not work with USB 3.0

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down

Click Hardware and Devices

Click Run the Troubleshooter

When complete, restart to see if the problem is resolved.

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Right click the USB Mass Storage Device in the list

Click Uninstall

Restart then check if its detected and working.

Other things you can try:

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Oct 26, 2019
  3. "Write Protect" on a USB storage device on Windows 10.

Hi Jeffery,

The above issue might occur due to the following reasons:

• Inappropriate permissions given to the device.
    • Presence of virus/malware content on the device.
    • Corrupted USB drive.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Did you check by connecting the storage device to other computers (apart from Acer Tablet and home build PC with USB 3)?
    • What is the exact error message received on the computer?

Method 1: Scan the PC for the presence of virus/malware content by running the antivirus security software. Run the antivirus security software twice to detect and confirm the presence of malware/virus on your PC. Check
    for the status of the scan to view the presence of virus/malware.

Method 2: If the issue persists, check the file’s attributes of the storage device by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open
      File explorer
    • Click on This PC from the left side panel of the window and check if the storage device is detected in the window.
    • If detected, right click on the device and select Properties from the context menu.
    • Uncheck Read Only and click Apply.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of “Write Protect” USB storage Device on the computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 26, 2019
  4. USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows

Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows :(

ArmoredCavalry, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Jelu Cal Win User
    Context menu problem

Hi,

Your concern with the context menu can be due to the configuration of your device and/or broken system files. To better understand your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• The last known changes made/activities performed on your device prior to your concern.
    • If you've experienced your concern on all areas in Windows 10 where context menu is expected to be available. Examples are File Explorer and desktop icons.
    • The version and build of Windows 10 that you're using on your device. To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this

link

In addition, we'd like to request for a screenshot of your concern with the context menu.

In the meantime, we'd recommend performing a clean boot in Windows to isolate software conflicts on your device. To do this, you can perform the steps posted on this link.
    In the clean boot environment, check if you'll be able to load the usual options for the context menu. The link will also provide steps to isolate the possible cause of the issue. Once you're done troubleshooting, check the How
    to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    section to revert your device to normal boot.

If you still experience your concern while in the clean boot environment, we'd recommend creating a new user/administrator account to isolate profile related issues. To do this, you can perform the steps posted on this

link

We look forward to your response.

Jelu Cal, Oct 26, 2019
  6. DSMcewen Win User
    Change Context Menu Default

I am running Windows 10 and have a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device connected to my network. From the file explorer when I select Network, the device icon shows up in the Storage category, other categories are Computer, Media Devices, Printers,
    and Scanners.

If I right-click the NAS device icon, I get a context menu where I can select Open to actually open the device and browse the device’s shared folders. On the list of context menu options, “View device webpage” is bold (the default double-click option
    for the device).

I want to the context menu to default (bold) the “Open” option instead of “View device webpage”, so when I double-click the device icon, I open it and view the shared folders, I don’t want the double-click default to view the device’s webpage.

Right now the only way I can “open” the device to view its shared folders is to right-click the device icon and select Open from the context menu. How can I make this change?

USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows ecd1deb0-fd8c-45f9-b9ab-61b6c7f419a2.png

DSMcewen, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows

1. USB Storage Devices Connection context menu - Add in Windows - Similar Threads - USB Storage Devices

2. Add Sync Center Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Sync Center Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add Sync Center Context Menu in Windows How to Add Sync Center Context Menu in Windows Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to the server is unavailable. Users can use offline...
  3. Add View Owner to Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add View Owner to Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add View Owner to Context Menu in Windows How to Add View Owner to Context Menu in Windows [img] Information An permissions. The owner of an object (ex: file, folder, drive, or registry key) has the right to allow or deny access to that resource. Although...
  4. Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows How to Add Inherited Permissions Context Menu in Windows [img] Information On ReFS volumes, you can set security permissions on files and folders. These permissions grant or deny access to the files and...
  5. History - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    History - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: History - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add History to Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select to save to. You can select to save...
  6. Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10 Restart will close all apps, sign out all users, and full shutdown and restart (reboot) the PC. Starting with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: Old behavior: - When...
  7. Cleanup - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Cleanup - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Cleanup - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Cleanup to Context Menu of Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use Disk Cleanup to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your drives, which can help your PC run faster. It can delete...
  8. Add Snipping Tool to Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Snipping Tool to Context Menu in Windows: How to: Add Snipping Tool to Context Menu in Windows How to Add Snipping Tool to Context Menu in Windows [img] Information You can use Snipping Tool to capture a screen shot, or snip, of any object on your screen, and then annotate, save, or share the image. This...
  9. Email - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Email - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Email - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Email to Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use Email from the Share tab in the ribbon of File Explorer by default when you have files and/or folders selected. It allows you to send the...
  10. Add or Remove Cast to Device context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Cast to Device context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Cast to Device context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Cast to Device context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Cast to Device in Windows 10 is a rebranded and improved version of Play To Device that was used in previous version of...