Windows 10: Using Task Scheduler without a password

Discus and support Using Task Scheduler without a password in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have Win10 64bit Home Edition. I was following your tutorial for using Task Scheduler to provide automatic scheduling for System Restore. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Agrippa, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Agrippa Win User

Using Task Scheduler without a password

I have Win10 64bit Home Edition.

I was following your tutorial for using Task Scheduler to provide automatic scheduling for System Restore. When I reached the final stage it failed. The error message suggested that this was because I was using a blank password.

A bit of googling showed that to use a blank password I needed to amend the Local Security Policy using secpol or gpedit. I cannot access them on my PC - past experience suggests that they are not allowed in Home Edition.

Is there any way for me to use a blank password in Task Scheduler? I am the only person with access to my PC and having to use a password for Windows is simply a piece of unnecessary hassle.

:)

Agrippa, Nov 19, 2017

2. Password fail Schedule a task

I want to schedule a task. I'm in Windows 10. At the end of setting up Task Scheduler I'm asked for a password. Password I use to log on to PC doesn't work. What's the problem?

Greg Blevins, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 19, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

The task would never run if there is a password protected account that it has to run something. The whole reason that Microsoft made the task to not be able to run without a password, is to protect the device from the operator.

As for Secpol and gpedit. They have never been available for Home. What gpedit and Secpol are doing, is changing registry entries. Even if you change the registry entries, you need to use a signon password for your task.

bro67, Nov 19, 2017
  5. Caledon Ken, Nov 19, 2017
  6. Agrippa Win User
    Thanks for the replies. The 'sign in automatically' option looks useful as it's the hassle of signing in that I wish to avoid. Just one question, do I have to create a password before I can select 'sign in automatically', if you see what I mean.

And control userpasswords2 is a blast from the past. I've vague memories of using this with Windows 98!

Agrippa, Nov 19, 2017
  7. To be honest I never tried this process as I'm a firm believer in passwords. Your sign in doesn't have to complex, maybe your name with a capital at the end, and it just stops unauthorized tampering.

In reading tutorial I would assume that makes sense, you need a password. You could ask on that tutorial thread.

To be sure you can go back to where you current are I would also recommend a backup with a tool like Macrium Reflect. Then if you don't like you can reset system without hours of hassle. Having an Image backup is a good thing.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

I think you would need to do both of those tutorials.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 19, 2017
  8. Agrippa Win User

Thanks, I think that sorts it. I've got Macrium and I don't think I'd do anything that has the potential to lock me out without a backup.

Agrippa, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Using Task Scheduler without a password - Similar Threads - Using Task Scheduler

2. Task scheduler asks for password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task scheduler asks for password: Hi there!When I create a task and select the option 'Run whether user is logged on or not' it asks for an admin user and password, which I don't know.I am the only user for my computer....
  3. Task scheduler asks for password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task scheduler asks for password: Hi there!When I create a task and select the option 'Run whether user is logged on or not' it asks for an admin user and password, which I don't know.I am the only user for my computer....
  4. Task Scheduler Asking for a Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler Asking for a Password: I'm just putting this here as a new question because I couldn't find a way to respond to the previous questions involving this same issue task scheduler asking for a password; for me, they all seemed to be locked from additional responses. To clarify, this isn't a question,...
  5. Task Scheduler Asking for a Password

Task Scheduler Asking for a Password: I'm just putting this here as a new question because I couldn't find a way to respond to the previous questions involving this same issue task scheduler asking for a password; for me, they all seemed to be locked from additional responses. To clarify, this isn't a question,...
  6. Task Scheduler Password

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler Password: When I use to use my task scheduler to create a task I never had to enter a password at the end. I just clicked on the blank space and I was good to go. I recently had a problem with my Desktop PC that required me to do a reinstall of windows 10. Now I get an error message...
  7. Task Scheduler wrong password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler wrong password: When I try to make a task run at startup, I selected run whether user is logged in or not. It then asks for a password, but it says its incorrect. I have tried numerous times but it keeps getting this error. [IMG]...
  8. Password to run task scheduler

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Password to run task scheduler: I am at an absolute loss on this. HOW do you find out which password is necessary to do this?? I enter no password to access my desktop computer running Windows 10 Pro, I've tried running the task scheduler as an admin, the username it's asking for a password to appears to be...
  9. Task Scheduler asking for password ?

Task Scheduler asking for password ?: I wanted to change a property of a task in Task Scheduler but I was asked to input user name and password. [ATTACH] I only have one machine and I am the administrator so I don't understand. However i did try and use the email address and password for my User account but...
  10. Task Scheduler issue when using Picture Password

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler issue when using Picture Password: I'm having this issue when trying to run task scheduler "Run whether user is logged on or not" is checked, it asks for a username and password. the issue that I'm having is that I use a picture password for my login. Is there a way to make this work while using a picture...