Windows 10: Using Windows Firewall To Block Updates

Discus and support Using Windows Firewall To Block Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a few PC's and they have multiple connections to the internet. These connections appear on each PC as a different network. One of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by davefaz, Aug 2, 2016.

1. davefaz Win User

Using Windows Firewall To Block Updates

I have a few PC's and they have multiple connections to the internet. These connections appear on each PC as a different network. One of the connections is very expensive and metered, so I don't want Windows updating when the primary connection is down and the secondary only is available. For most applications, what I have done is created rules in the firewall to block/allow them on specific networks, but the most dangerous application of all is Windows Update. In ten minutes that can use my entire monthly allowance and then run me in to a huge bill! It's essential that I stop Windows Update using the fail-over network. Does anyone know what application should be blocked in the firewall to stop Windows Update?

:)

davefaz, Aug 2, 2016

2. Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

This has to be disabled in task scheduler and I go a step further and block it with the firewall also. Here is the script that I used in my environment:

@echo off

REM Stop Update Assistant if running

taskkill -f -im UpdateAssistant.exe

taskkill -f -im UpdateAssistantCheck.exe

taskkill -f -im Windows10Upgrade.exe

taskkill -f -im Windows10UpgraderApp.exe

REM Block Update Assistant with Windows Firewall

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistant.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistant.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistantCheck.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistantCheck.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistantV2\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistantV2\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" enable=yes

REM Disable Update Assistant Scheduled Tasks

c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistant" /DISABLE

c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantAllUsersRun" /DISABLE

c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantCalendarRun" /DISABLE

c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantWakeupRun" /DISABLE

REM Remove Upgrader Application

IF EXIST "C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" (

"C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" /ForceUninstall

timeout /t 30

)

exit

Adrian_2.0, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 wont connect to internet

I worked out it was my firewall causing the issue. I use Bitdefender and the update for windows 10 blocked the network adapters. Setup a rule to allow the firewall access.

Ianmrothwell, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Using Windows Firewall To Block Updates

The app is svchost.exe, it is used for DNS request, among other things. You could block ports 80/443 or specific IPs related to WU, but it might block some other functionality as well. You could set your connection to metered, that should prevent downloading WU, but you can not check for them or they will start downloading ASAP.

Wireless Network Metered Connection - Set in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Ethernet Connection - Set as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

TairikuOkami, Aug 2, 2016
  5. I don't know how 'do-able' this is in Windows (bearing in mind I have a Linux background !!) but.....

Windows update depends on the BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) running. If it's not, then it can't check or download updates.

So, I'd be looking to write a script (triggered from task scheduler) that checks if the primary connection is up and if not, turns off BITS. If it is up, it'd just restart the service.

Doing it this way would ensure no updates can occur if the primary connection is unavailable. This is pretty simple to write under a Linux shell but I have no idea (yet !!) if it can be done with a simple batch or powershell script. I would imagine however that it can be.

blackeagle, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Using Windows Firewall To Block Updates

1. Using Windows Firewall To Block Updates - Similar Threads - Using Firewall Block

2. Windows update were blocked by the firewall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update were blocked by the firewall: I have noticed the our firewall been blocking and flagging the following file as virus/ infected files, but can't seem to find much resources on this behaviour.filename= msodbcsql_3be4cf889ad6c6334b15ac136d57321cbca28026.exemsg="File is infected." service="HTTP"...
  3. Windows update were blocked by the firewall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update were blocked by the firewall: I have noticed the our firewall been blocking and flagging the following file as virus/ infected files, but can't seem to find much resources on this behaviour.filename= msodbcsql_3be4cf889ad6c6334b15ac136d57321cbca28026.exemsg="File is infected." service="HTTP"...
  4. Windows update were blocked by the firewall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can Telemetry be blocked by just using windows firewall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can Telemetry be blocked by just using windows firewall: Or any other firewall? Or is it just best to leave it all alone and use it as installed by default? Thanks. submitted by /u/darthknight3043 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gj1qj4/can_telemetry_be_blocked_by_just_using_windows/
  6. Windows Firewall block outbound?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Firewall block outbound?: Anyone ever manage to put together a working windows firewall policy to block outbound traffic to private & public networks on Windows 10? We're working on Always On VPN, using a device tunnel & 'ForceTunnel'. Microsoft defines 'ForceTunnel' as: All traffic except for local...
  7. Windows 10 Firewall Blocks Defender Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Firewall Blocks Defender Update: Hi, all. I just joined minutes ago. My Windows 10 Firewall blocks my Defender from downloading new definitions (WTF???). It used to work fine. If I turn off Firewall, it updates no problem. I've created as many inbound and outbound rules as I can think of for all of the...
  8. Windows firewall blocks ipv6

Windows firewall blocks ipv6: I use the newest windows 10 and have both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses on my pc. When I make a outbound rule for blocking some ipv4 addresses, I can't visit any ipv6 websites. The browser says "Your Internet access is blocked". When I delete the rule, everything is ok. I think a...
  9. windows firewall is blocking windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows firewall is blocking windows update: how to configure in windows firewall so windows update service can connect to internet? thx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-firewall-is-blocking-windows-update/063e1609-1552-4620-b8b2-79bab8f280dd
  10. Windows firewall blocks wuapihost.exe...?

Windows firewall blocks wuapihost.exe...?: On my Surface Pro 3 running W10x64pro (upgraded from W8.1) I just now got a dialog pop up that Windows firewall has blocked some features of C:\Windows\System32\wuapihost.exe. The dialog wants me to allow (or cancel) wuapihost on public networks (this option is checked) and...